Nugget Shooter Forums

TDI Pro at the park volley ball court.

Hey Mark,

From what I've heard, sticking with 10ms will find you a lot more trashy bits. 

Since you're not likely to find any nuggets there I would turn it up a bit.

The coins and rings you are after should sound off with a higher pulse delay. 

Fortunately, it's easy to test....  :brows:

Good luck !!

:thumbsupanim

Luke

Edited by LukeJ

Nice haul !!

You were posting when I was posting.

Looks like you're doing alright..   :D

Luke

Pull tabs and the pendant sound the same. Coins have an "iron" signal. I'm ok digging all the signals. I almost passed on the pendant. There were more goodies near the net. Not sure if thats a pattern yet.

I think all coins except the nickels will give the low tone.  They are high conductors.  Silver as well...

People jump near the net, that's probably when the ground gets richer.

Dang Mark...missed silver by one year :)
Same thing happened to me up a wash out in the hills 1965 quarter.

Glad you got out.

Tom H>

'65 Q may not be silver, but it was a good year for a double-die obverse -- especially IGWT.. AU examples will bring in the $400 - 500 range, which is something we'll never pull out of a volleyball court.. Still, even beaters are worth something.. Staining only but still in decent shape is better than beater.. Just saying.. 

Swamp

EDIT: The double-die is the '65 plain only, no Denver DDs that year..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
On 9/26/2016 at 11:58 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

'65 Q may not be silver, but it was a good year for a double-die obverse -- especially IGWT.. AU examples will bring in the $400 - 500 range, which is something we'll never pull out of a volleyball court.. Still, even beaters are worth something.. Staining only but still in decent shape is better than beater.. Just saying.. 

Swamp

EDIT: The double-die is the '65 plain only, no Denver DDs that year..

Thanks Swamp. That gives finding coins another dimension. The Parks been around since the late 1800's. I'll detect around some large trees next time.

19 hours ago, AZMark said:

Thanks Swamp. That gives finding coins another dimension. The Parks been around since the late 1800's. I'll detect around some large trees next time.

http://varietyvista.com/

This site will give you all the known modern day, and in some instances back into the 1800s, double-dies and mint mark over-strikes, pennies through presidentials.. Easy bookmark, formatted for non-paper-wasting hardcopy printouts and enough photos so you'll know what to look for on those without pix.. A lot of this isn't easy to spot, so you'll need a loupe too if you don't already have one..

Although that site is all about double-dies, there are other mint errors out there too.. YouTube and Google numismatic error searches will get the ball rolling on all the other errors..

Even though our modern-day coinage has sadly turned into ching-chang-chong, there is still reason to toss your change into a jar and/or check it at the end of the day.. One nice error find will offset a whole lotta silver stacking.. And with silver now nearly non-existent in rolls and our pocket change, this really is a new normal most folks don't even know about much less ever considered -- until me just now spilling the beans, d'oh..:th:

GL & happy new kinda additional hunting..

Swamp

PS: If I had access to 1800 era parks I'd be checking around trees and everywhere else too.. Plus, if you are finding beaver-tail pull rings there's a better-than-even chance you'll end up finding silver as well..

6 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

http://varietyvista.com/

This site will give you all the known modern day, and in some instances back into the 1800s, double-dies and mint mark over-strikes, pennies through presidentials.. Easy bookmark, formatted for non-paper-wasting hardcopy printouts and enough photos so you'll know what to look for on those without pix.. A lot of this isn't easy to spot, so you'll need a loupe too if you don't already have one..

Although that site is all about double-dies, there are other mint errors out there too.. YouTube and Google numismatic error searches will get the ball rolling on all the other errors..

Even though our modern-day coinage has sadly turned into ching-chang-chong, there is still reason to toss your change into a jar and/or check it at the end of the day.. One nice error find will offset a whole lotta silver stacking.. And with silver now nearly non-existent in rolls and our pocket change, this really is a new normal most folks don't even know about much less ever considered -- until me just now spilling the beans, d'oh..:th:

GL & happy new kinda additional hunting..

Swamp

PS: If I had access to 1800 era parks I'd be checking around trees and everywhere else too.. Plus, if you are finding beaver-tail pull rings there's a better-than-even chance you'll end up finding silver as well..

Great info Swamp!. Thanks for the "heads" up on site. I'm looking at it now. I'll check out the trees and open areas. I'll keep you informed if there are any "tails" to tell.

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to Mulva Park today. I checked the banks next to the trees. Lots of trash and a few coins. 1981 is as ancient as it got today. Although for an instant, in a moment of dyslexia, it read 1891,

The fun part started at the Snottsdale diving range, where I observed a carnival the week before. I found a nickle and several targets. I dont know how you "dig" in grass. Any suggestions?. Anyway, I was feeling pretty cool, dodging the sprinklers. Smooth Dude. :D

Well, I got the feeling that maybe I was being targeted. The sprinklers seemed to follow me. I cruised behind a big old tree and casually flipped a bird. :evil1:

Then, BAM! right in the small of the back. A giant rush of water. Mad? For an instant. Then I realized I would have done it too. :ROFL:

Mark.

1 hour ago, AZMark said:

...I dont know how you "dig" in grass. Any suggestions?

Mark.

Probably the best all around tool covering a multitude of possible soil conditions for grass is a (longer, narrower) serrated edge trowel, make that double-edge serrated.. Some folks prefer the wider ones.. Most prospecting outlets carry a couple different kinds.. Work the tool into the ground on 3 sides, like a capitol "U", angled slightly inward toward the target.. As long as the ground has some body to it you can either use the tool or grab the 'bottom' of the "U", flip it open, and everything should remain clumped together.. After you pick the target out of the plug or surrounding ground, simply flip it shut.. You were never there.. (If in a field rather than on a lawn I usually use a small shovel instead.. Faster, easier, less bending & kneeling..)

Swamp

Lesche #48 Hand digger, and a Sampson 30" serrated shovel are perfect for digging plugs in grass.

http://www.wwmfg.com/default.asp?contentID=1216 

https://www.amazon.com/Lesche-Sampson-T-Handle-Detecting-Gardening/dp/B00BZWEKI0 

Tesoro has a booklet called "Metal Detector Information" the below illustrations on digging techniques is from the booklet, the second technique "Plugging" is what Al described, the first technique works best for dry soil and for targets that are close to the surface.

Another tip not mentioned and I use with either of the below techniques is having a small towel/cloth or piece of heavy plastic sheeting to place any loose dirt on so you can dump the loose dirt in before replacing the plug or closing the hole, loose dirt on top of the grass is unsightly and can also kill the grass.

http://www.tesoro.com/product/catalog/MDI22.pdf

IMG_0038.PNG

1 hour ago, AZMark said:

Great info. Thanks everybody.

P.S. Should I wear a tree stump or evergreen bush for that incognito look? :arrowheadsmiley:

No I don't think that will work, I would use a dog costume and pee on the trees,  but just be sure you have your rabies shots up to date and have the tag on your collar or they will take you to the pound! :brows: