Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite Map

clay

Land Matters has put the MetBul meteorite fall location database on an interactive map. The map includes land status as well as topo/aerial view layers. Use the "i" tool to tap into the basic information about a fall and get a link into the Meteoritical Bulletin Database for that fall.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Barry

Clay,

That is awesome !!!!  Very nice job on the meteorite map... you mind if I share with others also?

Thanks,

Dave.

Wow! Ton of info! TKS
Tom H.

:yesss: Weaver Mtns

description

" Weaver Mountains, Arizona, U.S.A. Approximately 34° 15'N, 112° 45'W Nickel-rich ataxite, D. a-spindles 6±3 J1. wide. Rich in phosphides. HV 300±15. Group !VB. 17.72% Ni. 0.82% Co, 0.10% P, 0.21 ppm Ga, 0.05 ppm Ge, 17 ppm Ir. HISTORY A mass of 85.5 pounds (38.8 kg) was found in 1898 in the Weaver Mountains, Maricopa County, according to Ward (1904a: 27). He also stated that the locality was near 1294 Weaver Mountains Wickenburg, but his coordinates and county are in error. Weaver Mountains is a range, 1000-2000 m high, in Yavapai County, about 40 km north of Wickenburg and 40 km southwest of Prescott, with the approximate coordinates given above. The mass was described and analyzed as an ataxite by Klein (1904a),...( big snip)"

Edited by weaver hillbille

Looking at the  Meteoritical Bulletin Database  @ the above link , it states, "15 records found for meteorites with types that are exactly "Iron, IVB" "  Just a shot in the dark- this type  is exceedingly rare?  

But then I looked at the groups here and noticed if  all the metorites were added up, it's not all that many.  I would think there have been more  than that ,found and cataloged. I did a quick, rough addition and came up with aprox 20000 space rocks in the database.

What am I missing ( besides an Iron IVB in my collection)?

:89:Oh wait,  maybe it's just what the Museum of Nat History (London) has in   its collection?

Edited by weaver hillbille

Weaver,

I believe Clays map is in the U.S. only, the groups your looking at are worldwide.....  The meteoritical Bulletin Database (Metbul) has a bunch of bogus coords, as when something is found and classified, you can submit any coords you want.

Dave

1 hour ago, DolanDave said:

Weaver,

I believe Clays map is in the U.S. only, the groups your looking at are worldwide.....  The meteoritical Bulletin Database (Metbul) has a bunch of bogus coords, as when something is found and classified, you can submit any coords you want.

Dave

So,  a little over a dozen of those critters in the world is pretty rare then, compared to the thousands in some of the other groups.

Maybe the Peeples Valley Historical Society would have some record of it.  I will check when in the area next , and maybe bring my beeper that's gathering dust:tisk-tisk:.

On 9/24/2016 at 8:18 PM, weaver hillbille said:

So,  a little over a dozen of those critters in the world is pretty rare then, compared to the thousands in some of the other groups.

Maybe the Peeples Valley Historical Society would have some record of it.  I will check when in the area next , and maybe bring my beeper that's gathering dust:tisk-tisk:.

What I have heard is the meteorite found for the Weaver Iron, is not the exact location, just like the Wickenburg (L6) was not found where it shows on the map/ metbul.... I know UncleRon knows alot about the Wickenburg meteorite, maybe he has some info on the Weaver also...

Dave