Nugget Shooter Forums

Mystery nugget

TomH

Hey all:
 Went out with Dave today up around the LSD area. Hit some good spots but didnt find any yellow.

After about a half mile hike in, turned on the detector, did a ground balance and pop!...the handle broke off!  Nice....well got my emergency repair stuff out of my backpack and whala! Got er done. Except I kept trying to push the top of the stick to GB :)

I found a old claim marker (pile of rocks) with a hole in it. Looked inside and guess what I found....a snake! Rattler. Just left him alone in his happy home :)

Dave found this nugget that is about 1/2 in diameter around...it weighs just over half a ounce, has all kinds of colors on it and screams under the coil. If you peel at it with a knife it peels off silver. Doesnt break or flake like galena  Its a lot harder than lead as it wont scrape with a rock. Not magnetic in the least.

Electrum gold perhaps? 

dave3.jpg

dave4.jpg

dave5.jpg

dave6.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you guys made it out today !!     The weather was real nice....  :D

Looks like a fairly functional solution you came up with...  you probably don't even need to buy a new handle...  :4chsmu1:

I'm curious to hear about that 'nugget'....

Cool finds fellas    :thumbsupanim

Luke

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Hey Tom, looks like its time to pull out the Super Glue, or Liquid Nails to fix that handle.  My Minelab does not have a button, but to reinforce my handle I used a piece of PVC pipe, and haven't had any issues since. 

Hey all:
 Went out with Dave today up around the LSD area. Hit some good spots but didnt find any yellow.

After about a half mile hike in, turned on the detector, did a ground balance and pop!...the handle broke off!  Nice....well got my emergency repair stuff out of my backpack and whala! Got er done. Except I kept trying to push the top of the stick to GB :)

I found a old claim marker (pile of rocks) with a hole in it. Looked inside and guess what I found....a snake! Rattler. Just left him alone in his happy home :)

Dave found this nugget that is about 1/2 in diameter around...it weighs just over half a ounce, has all kinds of colors on it and screams under the coil. If you peel at it with a knife it peels off silver. Doesnt break or flake like galena  Its a lot harder than lead as it wont scrape with a rock. Not magnetic in the least.

Electrum gold perhaps? 

dave3.jpg

dave4.jpg

dave5.jpg

dave6.jpg

Glad you guys made it out today !!     The weather was real nice....  :D

Looks like a fairly functional solution you came up with...  you probably don't even need to buy a new handle...  :4chsmu1:

I'm curious to hear about that 'nugget'....

Cool finds fellas    :thumbsupanim

Luke

BD...sounds off on the 5000 and the SDC. 

Dave just mailed me some more info...

Hardness test of 4 and... Specivic gravity is around 8.9 Thats too low for any gold. Is in lower grade silver range though. I saw a website that said German silver was 8.7 refined silver is closer to 10-10.5

Interesting find anyhoo...

Tom H.

Thanks for posting those pics fo me Tom. 

I took it over to Bill's last night. He agreed it appears to be silver. He gave me some weak hydraflouric acid. I let it sit overnight, and not much change in appearance.  Bill has a test kit he will dig out today, so I'll know for sure. Raw native silver is pretty rare in this area, It's mostly silver sulphides when found. 

Revised hardness down to 3. Copper penny will mark it, but it deforms the edging on the penny. So pretty close to the same. 

Edited by ArcticDave
Left out info

Yup, silver will react with nitric or sulfuric. COOL FIND! :) So I guess you didnt get the skunk yesterday :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

Actaully no? Been going out a lot lately so im starting to get my winter/hunting legs back :)

Didnt get anything out of the material I crevised. That sure was some nice bedrock in that area though.

Tom H>

I was dragging by the time we got back to the rigs! Just one more step...

Bummer on your sample. I would be curious enough to hike back up there one day and sample below that huge dike that cut those washes. The nugget was right below that vein. 

I need a couple of those canvas ore sample bags. They would be perfect for bringing back test material from remote areas.