Nugget Shooter Forums

Spine Surgery

Uncle Ron

Yo All... I haven't been beeping in over a year and a half due to severe back problems... So I'm starting the testing this week to have laser spine surgery next week ... Last time I went out, I was in an extremely remote and  hidden wash and I got down to dig a target and couldn't get back up again ... I drug myself by hand to the rocky side of the washing and pulled myself up and finally was able to stand up ... I would have been in a world of hurt because nobody could have found my carcass ... Would have ended up lion poop! ... I found this wash 12 years ago and have hunted it dozens of times ... No one else has been in there beeping but me in all those years ... It's hard to find and even harder to get into ... I'm apprehensive but excited to have a remedy in sight and should be able to get out sometime early November ... Yay! ... Cheers, and good luck out there this season! Unc

• Like 8

Good luck with it RON, I had 5 fused in my neck in 95, took me a year to get back to normal, but now, it doesn't effect me at all. Grubstake

Mine was done the old way, with a 5 inch incision in my neck, and a drain tube for 5 days, 27 staples.

:89:Ron, I hope you get  a jammer  to foil the( potential) hidden tracker on your rig. To be thinking about that spot for so long, it sounds like you have a 6th sense about what it could hold.  I seem to recall back ,some time ago,  a thread just about this very thing( someone finding a tracker on their vehicle. Was that yours?

Good luck w/ the surgery.   Much better than  mega fusion and Ti implant sounds like.

Thank you for the wishes, everyone! ... It's going to be at the Laser Spine Institute in Scottsdal and they do say it's a 90 minute 1 bandaid operation ... One of Dodacious' clients was even more crippled up than I am and he had two, both lumbar and cervical and he swears by it ... Had it a couple years ago and continues to say it's the best thing he ever did ... Gave him his life back, which is the same comment my primary Dr. made... He saId, "You realized this will give you your life back!"  It's expensive, $30,000 and Medicare only picks up about 60% and I'm having to finance my share.... Certainly have my fingers crossed...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weaver hillbille said:

:89:Ron, I hope you get  a jammer  to foil the( potential) hidden tracker on your rig. To be thinking about that spot for so long, it sounds like you have a 6th sense about what it could hold.  I seem to recall back ,some time ago,  a thread just about this very thing( someone finding a tracker on their vehicle. Was that yours?

Good luck w/ the surgery.   Much better than  mega fusion and Ti implant sounds like.

That was not me, but I have been followed a couple of times...Once by a guy who had red hair and red beard that I'd never seen before ...  He followed out to a remote area and I hid from him in a bunch of thick bushes and he drove around looking for me and finally parked his 4-wheeler and started looking for my tracks, but I had erased them with a branch of a Palo Verde....I could clearly see him the whole time but he couldn't see me since I was all camoed and had a camo cover over my 4 wheeler.... I was bummed because I lost like 1-1/2 hours beeping ... Cheers, Unc

Glad you made it out safe Ron and hope you're 100% soon. Hearing your note about being injured in the field, one purchase I would like to suggest to you - and everyone - is the Delorme InReach Explorer. It's a 2 way satellite text GPS unit and it really works well. In fact, I retired my Spot after purchasing the Explorer. You can send texts to anyone, receive replies and include a Google Map url of your location. You can also enable a tracking map that will report your position every 10 minutes and the best part, only provide password based access to the folks you trust. You can check it out here: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-explorer.php 

Edited by Rod
  • Like 3

Ron,

Make them a deal on the 40%.

Pay them only 20% in Gold from that canyon! (The doctor may not have to report it as income.  Just take him out to Vulture Mine Road and say he found it there.)

Get well soon.

Mitchel

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and yer up and around in no time....    :head:

Take care

Luke

Just took my crazy Irish friend to Mt. Shasta to O'Sulliven yesterday for die injected cat scan to see whatzup. At 4:30 today at mdi a mri for me,kneck AND lumber as neck fulla broken glass and spine torn discs,stenosis and arthritic claws hahahaha what a ball gettn' this far. Docs all glum but I say my god o what fun gettn' this far. That bs about 2 hours and out is lies as sent them a cd of last mris and they said weeks in the hospital. much pt and almost surely multiple ops both top/bottom- Wish you all the luck in the world Ron....John

Wishin' you all the best, Unc..! When/if mine gets done it'll be more along the lines of grubstake's except the titanium 'finger' plate thingie rather than total fusions..

Need to look up what you n LipCa are talking about.. The only thing I can picture is nerve ending block, but can't imagine fixing the effect without taking care of the cause too.. Am unfamiliar with a laser-only surgery for that..

Swamp

Wow Ron...glad you made it out. 

I have a SPOT and will send the wife a message when I get out in the hills. That way she knows exactly where I am. It gives her a google map. 

I have two other messages on  it...broke down, will be home late and broke down staying the night. Then there is the SOS if things really go south.

If you were not able to get back up you could have a message (pre programmed) to say, COME GET ME!  or ive fallen and I cant get up :)

Wife would know exactly where you are.

Its a good back up because some of the places dad and I go there is no cell service.

Tom H.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomH said:

Wow Ron...glad you made it out. 

I have a SPOT and will send the wife a message when I get out in the hills. That way she knows exactly where I am. It gives her a google map. 

I have two other messages on  it...broke down, will be home late and broke down staying the night. Then there is the SOS if things really go south.

If you were not able to get back up you could have a message (pre programmed) to say, COME GET ME!  or ive fallen and I cant get up :)

Wife would know exactly where you are.

Its a good back up because some of the places dad and I go there is no cell service.

Tom H.

The drawback with the Spot is the fact that its only a one way message system. You don't really know if the message was ever received. That's why I switched to the DeLorme InReach Explorer. Its a true sattelite text message unit, can send and receive messages. The DeLorme has all the features of the Spot and many, many more. And service can be suspended/prorated when not in use. The Spot is better than nothing but no where near the DeLorme. 

I'm glad that you can make use of this type of surgery Unk.  It's not easy deciding what to do with a problem in our age category.  They have come out with some really good methods of fixing the back in recent years.  I am still in the reconnoitering mode with my back problem.  Good luck with the procedure and we will be praying for success.  By the way I hear that Sushi helps heal back problems.  :thumbsupanim

Old Tom

• Like 1