Nugget Shooter Forums

No Skunks in two weeks, what changed?

Relichunter2016

Just awoke from a hard earned napp from nugget hunting last two weeks. This has been the longest run in finding gold for me...10 consecutive days without skunks visit. I have been visiting the same old spots I detected before, so whats changed? As I was slowly getting out of my sleep slumber I thought about it. I can think of only 3 things I changed, one is I bought a Commander 11" Mono coil off Ebay for a KILLer deal brand spanking new 60 bucks included shipping. Second, I found perhaps the best setting for my 4500 and I am sticking to it for my area because it works well, and third I would say extremely slow swing with coil scraping the ground where possible. I should also throw in the fact when I go out, my mental state is positive, and demand of myself that I have to at least find one nugget, regardless of size. Another observation I made is where as when I used a DD coil, and used disc..I would skip some targets thinking they may be trash, with the mono I do less of that. I am diggin every target....all these changes made my nugget count go up. My trash count has gone higher but its worth it. I also want to say although there are a lot of new tech coils, dont give up on this 11" Mono. I dug a .19 piece today at 7-8 inches with my settings and technique !!~ Good luck to you all....get that GOLD !

• Like 7

Well heck! Glad your doing so good :) And glad you relize the difference. Like you said...positive attitude really helps.

Tom

Oh BTW......There better be some pics coming!

• Like 3

DOH!   Nice pile :yesss:

Tom.

• Like 1

AWESOME !!  :yesss:

Glad you got things figured out...   :D

Keep it going    :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 1

Thanks guys....

Alwaysdirty....I don't usually share my finds.....but since Tom asked I thought I 'd oblige and show some gold. I am just so impressed with the Commander 11' Mono coil...Just today I found my smallest piece with it....   .09  grams at 2 inches ! and another piece that really threw me off was a .25 gram piece at 10" easy. I think I may have bought a 11" mono on steroids.:yesss: Think I finally reached Jedi statues with my 4500. Took 3 years ! But who am I kidding lol. Always more to learn....new coils, new areas different ground and always new lessons to learn.

• Like 2

You spoke of settings with your 4500.  What is working for you I might ask?  I don't have a 4500 but I might be able to 'translate' some of your experience to what I have used or am using.

There is no substitute for ground that has gold.  Settings and coils are gravy.  haha

I think you have enhanced the ground with your techniques. 

Mitchel

Hi Mitchel,

Another thing I forgot to add is I am becoming a fan of the round coils as they pull in the return signal much better than the elliptical. Prior to this round I ran ellipticals 95% of the time and pulled out all I could with them. My settings on the 4500 go as follows. Front panel,  General, Enhanced, Fixed , Mono. BackPanel....Motion very slow, gain 13, audio in quiet, stab down low at 8 to get threshold very stable. If threshold is not stable you will not hear the pieces that are small and deep. Like the .25 gram piece at 10 inches, I would have never heard it unless my threshold was stable and my swing at a snails crawl. I ground balance very often keeping the threshold stable is key. Some of the ground noise can be a nugget, so now I dig a bit deeper to verify if it is a target or not,some nuggets will fade out and give a wider signal rather than a normal sharp one, so it can be a hit and miss thing sometime. I think any placer ground with history of mining in the past is hiding gold, its a matter of diggin it all and zeroing in your technique and settings. 

Fred

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

...some nuggets will fade out and give a wider signal rather than a normal sharp one... 

Fred

Good information and explaination.. It will be interesting hearing from Mitchel up the road to find out if he was able to 'translate' to his 7K & its different technology, and further finding out if / how it helped in patches he's already worked with first his 4500 / other detectors then been over again with his Zed..

Since I'm not anywhere near nugget shooting locations I can't comment directly about this thread, but I can add to the above aspect -- and since Mitchel also works his beaches I'm hoping we can get input from him about this as well:

I too have had sharp signals, coin signals with correct #, widen on me while digging oceanside of the high tide line -- and have the number start bouncing around to the point I'm no longer even sure it's a coin.. Sometimes there's fade too, but not to the degree you seem to be talking about I don't believe.. ( I need to comment this is with a VLF salt-water-capable detector and not a PI so that the mention of numbers'll make sense.. I've exchanged the depth of the Infinium for the much lighter weight of the AT Pro for coin / jewelry shooting; only use the PI here now when on the Treasure Coast beaches shooting for shipwreck gold.. Also to note is if I know I'm not going to be wading off-shore I normally use a shovel, not a scoop.. I'm sure it's because of these two factors that I even picked up on the widening beach signals -- doubt I would have ever noticed if using a scoop & PI.. )

I'd given up on them in the past since they were usually deeper than normal, but one day one made me so mad I set down the detector and kept digging just to find out what was causing this abnormality.. Upon re-scanning and locating the object, and every time since, they have indeed ended up being coins -- greenies, brownies, reds, etc., always clad so far except for the pennies..

Here's the kicker: About half the time the coin has ended up not being what the original signal indicated.. Dimes & quarters flip-flop about evenly.. Dime / penny: Always the penny moving up the scale, never the dime moving backward; usually clad penny, but sometimes pre-clad too.. Pennies & nickles are always themselves, but I have dug some pretty odd always higher numbers for them that weren't known bottle top, foil or pull tab #s.. I'll admit to being disappointed when they turned out being coins rather than treasure, since those oddball #s do fall in the jewelry zone..

The reason I'm posting this is because I 'think' I have a grasp and understanding of zip-zip spreading under temperate, semi-arid and arid mineralized land-based conditions.. The spreading should be more pronounced the drier it is and the longer it's been dry.. So I'm having more than a bit of a problem getting my head around target spreading signals under an always-wet condition.. The only thing that makes even a little bit of sense to me is the dissolving metals somehow 'activate' other close proximity minerals and one's detector is picking these up as well as the target when overburden is removed since the target's now-absent molecules should no longer be in the affected area..

Dry land-based diffusion just seems easier to comprehend is all, signal reversal not withstanding..

Swamp

• Like 1

Hey Relichunter .. you need to change your name, now.  Them aint relics in my book :) 

Thank you for two things:  

Sharing your gold once in a while (nobody shows it all but it's good to see once in a while)

Sharing your settings with fellow users (interesting to compare)   

On settings, I believe like you that you need that quiet threshold.  People tell me Audio Quiet will cut off signal but I like you have not found that to be the case on .2g gold.  Stability-wise, I run mine always within a couple ticks of Gain.  Usually this has little effect for me anyways.  In depth testing on larger nuggets, I *have* noticed an improvement on larger gold (even in quieter ground) using Enhanced.  Most people say to look for large gold in Normal but I don't think I've ever found a location I can run Normal.  But Enhance ... yes I can :) 

• Like 4

I think what is holding a lot of people back on the GPZ (other than price) is that large coil.  I would be much more interested if they had a small coil option to allow you to maneuver around the obstacles. 

• Like 1

Swampstomperal,

I think the most important thing is learning the ticks of your detector regardless if its a PI, or VLF....in my experience with vlf machines and now I use primarily the PI is that both will at times have similar responses to targets. The fading out on a target for example happened to me on the vlf, but it was usually on deeper targets in heavy mineralized soils , I am no expert but maybe a reaction to the iron in combination to the target and depth. I saw my limitations with the vlf so now I use a PI 100% of the time as I only hunt gold. 

Andyy,

Your right on the name change, Relichunter  is my avatar name on some forums, but that was created when I was strictly after relics. Things have change in the last 3 years and now I am 100% after gold!! I have a vlf a gold bug Pro I take with me, but every time I give it a go , I go back to my PI. I always run in  enhanced, when I go to normal I have ground noise and hot rocks. When I have a target I would occasionally switch to normal and recheck the response to the target, most of the time I find the enhanced mode better. As far as stabilizer, I do run it much lower than a couple clicks of my gain, as long as I go at a snails pace I hear the target. If I go to faster no way of hearing the small deep targets. The big ones are easy to hear. The only problem is not many of them around. So this is why  I try to get the threshold stable and a nice buzz in my ear to hear the little ones. Well I shared some of my gold, time for someone to man up and post theirs...:idunno:

• Like 2

On 9/15/2016 at 3:46 PM, Relichunter2016 said:

Thanks guys....

Alwaysdirty....I don't usually share my finds.....but since Tom asked I thought I 'd oblige and show some gold. I am just so impressed with the Commander 11' Mono coil...Just today I found my smallest piece with it....   .09  grams at 2 inches ! and another piece that really threw me off was a .25 gram piece at 10" easy. I think I may have bought a 11" mono on steroids.:yesss: Think I finally reached Jedi statues with my 4500. Took 3 years ! But who am I kidding lol. Always more to learn....new coils, new areas different ground and always new lessons to learn.

Well one sir!! 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2016 at 2:54 PM, Andyy said:

Hey Relichunter .. you need to change your name, now.  Them aint relics in my book :) 

Thank you for two things:  

Sharing your gold once in a while (nobody shows it all but it's good to see once in a while)

Sharing your settings with fellow users (interesting to compare)   

On 9/17/2016 at 2:54 PM, Andyy said:

On settings, I believe like you that you need that quiet threshold.  People tell me Audio Quiet will cut off signal but I like you have not found that to be the case on .2g gold.  Stability-wise, I run mine always within a couple ticks of Gain.  Usually this has little effect for me anyways.  In depth testing on larger nuggets, I *have* noticed an improvement on larger gold (even in quieter ground) using Enhanced.  Most people say to look for large gold in Normal but I don't think I've ever found a location I can run Normal.  But Enhance ... yes I can :) 

I'm with you, Andy. I have never been able to run in Normal timing even on what I would consider " quiet" ground in other timings. I try and run in Sens Extra if not bothered by too many hot rocks. Sens Extra is not as sensitive to EMI as Enhance is. I like to use Enhance as a form of discrimination...if running in Sens Extra, and you get a signal, just flick the switch to Enhance re balance and re check the target. A metallic target will stay a hot rock/ ground will go away. If hunting larger, deeper gold Enhance is great. Also great on smaller, shallow gold with the Evo coils as they are very sensitive coils. The usual trade off with timings... Enhance is less affected by hot rocks/ ground yet more sensitive to EMI and Sens Extra is just the opposite. Both can be exploited to our advantage. I switch back and forth a lot as conditions dictate.

Great gold Relic hunter! Congrats!!

I think Luke stole my mojo. I hadn't  been skunked for a very long time. Then I started hunting with Luke and he starts finding the gold and I've had the skunk on my back for a few trips now:idunno:. That will change this weekend!!! I'm getting my mojo back :brows:!!!

Dean

Edited by Dbado1
  • Like 2

Dean - I think you created a gold hunting force to be recon'd with ... (a.k.a. Luke) :) 

I've been smelling the skunk too often lately, as well.

• Like 2

I'm just looking at those gorgeous nuggets in his hand and thinking... 

I gotta get my hands on a GPX   :4chsmu1:

Awesome nuggets Rh2016 !!

Here's to hoping you're finding more   :oregonian_winesmiley:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LukeJ said:

I'm just looking at those gorgeous nuggets in his hand and thinking... 

I gotta get my hands on a GPX   :4chsmu1:

Awesome nuggets Rh2016 !!

Here's to hoping you're finding more   :oregonian_winesmiley:

When you get a GPX I'll show you the the super secret ultimate setting called CANCEL. When you hunt in that setting... there will be gold left for the rest of us :evil1:!

Dean

• Like 5

Fred
Good to hear your kickin some skunk butt with that mono. I have always been a big fan of single wound mono coils and they are what I run most of the time, more trash but deeper targets.
:thumbsupanim Best of luck on more, AzNuggetBob

• Like 2