Nugget Shooter Forums

Oh yah...they WILL rip you off...

TomH

Doc had touched on this subject a ways back but I thought I would show you what he meant.

I had a couple of batteries go bad and took them apart for show and tell...........yes, I know I could have blown myself up!

the one on the left was heavier and last longer both in recharge time and life span. The one on the right was a bit lighter and would not last as long on a recharge. Well

after you see the innards you know why. The one on the right is rated at a higher mAh then the one on the left. The rip off is that they only put 4 cells in it, and filled the rest of the space with foam and cut 1/8 metal! China has NO scruples!

Just beware of this when buying batteries and only buy from a reputable dealer.

Last time I checked a cell was only 1.5 V...maybe the lithium ion batteries are different?

Tom H.

DSC02771.JPG

• Like 5

Yep, same thing I look for when picking melons.  The heavier, the better.  (And yes I mean fruit)  :25r30wi:

Good info, Tom.

• Like 1

Li-ion batteries are 3.7V.  Fully charged 4.2V.  The pack on the left probably uses 2400mah cells.  That's how they get 7000mah.

It's three groups of two....  I can't come up with the proper electrical lingo at the moment.  Two in series, three of those in parallel.

The one on the right is basically 1/3 of a battery pack.

At least you can recycle that aluminum...   :4chsmu1:

Luke

• Like 1

A few years ago I began running Rayovac LI batteries in the GP Extreme. They are(?) (were) double the cost of any others on the market ($90 each at Batteries and Bulbs) but they are also the heaviest I've seen and will last a full day of detecting no problem. Way better than those cheapo "Assia" brand batteries. Have no idea what the guts look like on this battery but it's good. 

cowboybootandbattery.png

Great topic, now I need to do my homework on 14500 Li-ion batts and associated charger for my scorpion/fluorescent mineral light- it'll take  AA alkaline but the former give a brighter light, of course.

I'm thinking Sanyo or  PAnasonic should be better trusted brands..

After searching around Amazon, Ultrafire, came up with good reviews for a 14500 size Li-Ion.  THere're also many  of the same with solder tabs  for anyone handy with a solder iron and wants to rebuild their own  beeper batt pack.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

Tom

I usually used Sony or name brand camcorder batteries on my detectors and on my custom amps. but if you look close "FOR Sony" and real "Sony" batteries,  GOCHA, China has NO scruples!  :2mo5pow:  AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

BIG warning in sunday paper from SAMSUNG to return ALL their new 7 phones for a free replacement as problem has gotten MUCH bigger :th: wonderful just wonderful as millions sold and must fly this week......serious thought to cancel as on a plane POOF and a long flight to Hawaii so hard to find what's left as recently proven many times. John

On 9/9/2016 at 3:06 PM, TomH said:

Doc had touched on this subject a ways back but I thought I would show you what he meant.

I had a couple of batteries go bad and took them apart for show and tell...........yes, I know I could have blown myself up!

the one on the left was heavier and last longer both in recharge time and life span. The one on the right was a bit lighter and would not last as long on a recharge. Well

after you see the innards you know why. The one on the right is rated at a higher mAh then the one on the left. The rip off is that they only put 4 cells in it, and filled the rest of the space with foam and cut 1/8 metal! China has NO scruples!

Just beware of this when buying batteries and only buy from a reputable dealer.

Last time I checked a cell was only 1.5 V...maybe the lithium ion batteries are different?

Tom H.

DSC02771.JPG

Tom do you see that circuit board on the left in your photo? that is a power limiter or surge protector. It may have nothing to do with the batteries failing if this board fails.
AzNuggetBob

Here is a shot of the one I like to use. It also has reset capabilities in case of a short. :brows: AzNuggetBob

100_1150.JPG

• Like 2

Pretty sure one of them failed. It just suddenly went dead. The batteries still have juice in them.

Are those circuit boards expensive?
Tks

Tom

Hey Tom
Here is a better photo. well a little better. they are easy to solder in, see the tabs. clearly marked in and out.you can get these online or ebay real cheap. make sure they are rated for your battery pack, and build your own.
You need these for lipo or lion batteries or could start a fire when charging or using if the device has a huge power spike or drain on start up.
I suspect that Samsung's problem is with their built-in electronic limiter switch boards like these and not just the batteries. Thats what these are designed to stop.
AzNuggetBob

100_1153.JPG

• Like 1