Nugget Shooter Forums

That skunk was so old it fossilized. :4chsmu1:

First of all, thanks to Luke J for the welcome wagon every weekend and the use of his SDC 2300. :thumbsupanim

The Toms, Dean and all the support from the forum. (It's not an academy award, but it is the right color...)

Luke met up with me at the golden gate Sat morning and we hit a spot He and Dean had good fortune with earlier this month. I have always enjoyed the anticipation and the great outdoors, but I have to admit I had felt jinxed for quite a while.

As we set up for the hunt I noticed a large rock sitting half way in the mud that hadn't been moved in a while. I wiggled it loose and lifted it up only to have it try to sit in my lap. One more flip and it rolled over. The SDC gave a sweet tone and I was ready for my first piece of lead. One scoop full, nothing. Missed it. Second scoop,Missed it again. Then Luke said "Look! There it is!"

Speechless. Stunned.

Oh, and all within about ten minutes of starting.

A childhood dream of finding buried treasure, agonizing over buying the "perfect" detector :grr01:, and just sheer determination all came down to that moment.

How much does it weigh? Don't know. Never needed a scale before.

To me it's as big as a dream I've had for a long, long, long time.

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

• Like 17

Ah yes !!   The time had finally arrived...   :thumbsupanim

Sooo many trips out and nothing but the skunk on the way home...  but things are a changin'   :4chsmu1:

Congratulations Mark.  Thanks for not giving up.   :yesss:

...and to think I stood next to that rock and nugget for a few hours the previous weekend.   :ROFL:

Way to go.  There's more out there !!

Luke

• Like 2

Whoo hoo!!  You never forget your first, Mark.  You never forget.  ...   what was I talking about... oh yeah..

Another one has now been hooked on GOLD!!  Oh yeah!! Oh yeah!! 

Right on Mark!!  and them hands are lookin the part of a prospector ... ha .. ha...(none of those dishwashing hands)

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1

Mark!!!! 
That is so cool :) :Your on it now...just keep at it. You will always remember that nug. 

Glad you got it, Dad found one like that and so did Shay.  Flipping boulders is better than flipping houses

CONGRATS!!!!   :oregonian_winesmiley:

Tom H.

• Like 1

Congrats Mark, that's how I found my first nuggie.  I got Tom to help me move a big boulder and lo and behold there was my first piece of yeller.  Great feeling Bro, keep it up. 

Old Tom

• Like 1

WTG Mark ... I saw that skunk running around dizzy looking for a new host! I ran for the hills before he could see me watching him! LOL! Seen him too much myself!!! Congrats on that first one ... the SDC2300 is a great detector!

Mike F

• Like 2

Congrats! Over the years I've got a lot of people over their first nugget and really believe that you do find more nuggets, more quickly after your first. Based on those experiences and my own first nugget (long ago) here's why. Its really a paradigm shift in the way you think (maybe even subconsciously) that changes your behavior. After however long you have finally have accomplished a big goal. Its real to you now. Yes you can do this! The first find reaffirms to you that yes the gold is there. Being real now you begin to change how you detect, swing speed, methods, etc. You really want to find more. And the confidence boost from that first find just propels you forward. It all begins to come together. Just food for thought. Congrats again!

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, Rod said:

Congrats! Over the years I've got a lot of people over their first nugget and really believe that you do find more nuggets, more quickly after your first. Based on those experiences and my own first nugget (long ago) here's why. Its really a paradigm shift in the way you think (maybe even subconsciously) that changes your behavior. After however long you have finally have accomplished a big goal. Its real to you now. Yes you can do this! The first find reaffirms to you that yes the gold is there. Being real now you begin to change how you detect, swing speed, methods, etc. You really want to find more. And the confidence boost from that first find just propels you forward. It all begins to come together. Just food for thought. Congrats again!

Couldnt have said it better :) Plus, on the skunk days...you kind of say to yourself  "oh well, I know its out here, ive found some, just have to get the coil over it next time"
Tom

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Rod said:

I do feel the change. I know I can do it now. Thanks Rod.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your first nugget, Mark ... It took me 7 years before my first detected nugget (although I had dredged and sluiced several pounds of gold) ...  Finding a nugget with a detector somehow seems so much more personal than shoveling in or sluicing.... As others here have said, something about your first one does change your approach and confidence!  ... Many more in your future! .. Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

Congrats on finally beating that skunk to death, Mark... Very nice find, indeed! You are no longer a virgin (at nugget detecting!) lol

I'll get mine sooner or later... Preferably SOONER THAN later! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1