Nugget Shooter Forums

Whether a fool or not sees gold

amethyst--pyrite and quartz. Without hands on, hardness test, gem id equipment testers just a guess with only 1 cup a joe soooo many others here with MUCH more rock knowledge-John

Thanks John & Clay. Though not the answer I was hoping for;).

So I guess there's no harm in smashing it to see if anything sticks? Though it is a pretty specimen. Unless it's beauty was perpetuated by the eyes of this fool as he spent many a minutes captivated by its extrinsic value. Guess I'm susceptible to the fever.

Are there any non-destructive test that I could do such as continuity. How reliable are the results from a multimeter in determining gold presence?

A small bag of 'gold' flour was amongst the collection of rocks. The flour floated on water until I added a bit of soap then it sank.

Neither rock nor flour are magnetic.

I was also looking for a local supplier for an acid test kit for gold in the Toronto area if anyone knows of one.

Thanks again.

8 hours ago, mrlafranchise@gmail.com said:

Hi all. If anyone has any information regarding these samples...

I'm not a rock / mineral person, but it's easy enough to see what you are thinking..

Please go to the Gold Nugget Shooting Forum and take a look at the topics: Large Gold, Small Coil and Nugget On Book Cover.. Both have most excellent specimen photos of millable gold-on-quartz against which you can compare yours.. Do so with this little saying in mind: Gold shines; fool's gold sparkles..

I'm sure you'll see the difference.. No reason to smash what you have..

Swamp

2 hours ago, mrlafranchise@gmail.com said:

So I guess there's no harm in smashing it to see if anything sticks?

THe pyrite ought to  fracture off, somewhere, just a little speck, smash that.  Sand size particles of pyrite fracture if poked with a pin against  a hard surface plate/metal gold pan,

or  just poke the sample itself.. I've never tried it with large crystalline pyrite, It maybe be substantially stronger.

Gold  will be stuck/indented by the pin ,or if smashed, get thinner since it so malleable.

Welcome to Nuggetshooter!

There are many knowledgeable members on this forum, but don't let Hoser John fool you :nono: he has more gold mining knowledge in his pinky finger than many others have in their head, BUT he is older than dirt so he may have forgotten some of it :olddude::4chsmu1:!! 

Amethyst specimen piece keep as it is, no apparent gold seen by me, quartz/pyrite specimen, I don't think it has any gold but pyrite does sometimes have gold within it, some tests you can do, look at the specimen in bright sunlight, it will "shine" as gold appears to do, now take your other hand and use it to shade the specimen from the sunlight, if the the material stop shining and appears more graying than golden it's almost surely pyrite, if on the other hand the material maintains the golden shine like gold, it could very well be gold, gold has a glow of it's own, it doesn't need the sun to make it have a golden glow.

Second test for the pyrite piece, as Weaver Hillbille mentioned is to poke and or try to scratch it, I recommend a sharp knife point, if the material isn't affected at all or chips or crumbles it most surely a type of pyrite, pyrite is harder than steel (with the exception of high quality harden steel, which is about the same hardness as pyrite) so you shouldn't be able to scratch it with a knife, it is on the other hand very brittle so it is possible for it to chip/crumble when attacked with the knife, be careful not to slip and cut yourself when doing this test, now if the knife does scratch/indents the material without any chipping or shattering, it could possibly be gold, if this is the case it needs to be tested with acid and or a spectrometer, i.e. take it to a reputable jeweler and they should be able to confirm if it's gold or not.

Your best bet on a acid test kit is to buy online, you should find many results/vendors by doing a google search, I would recommend buying from a Jeweler supplies web site rather than a prospecting supply site, the acids do have a shelf life and you will have a better chance of getting a fresh kit.

If you do determine it's most likely pyrite and as I mentioned pyrite does sometimes contain gold, the process to free any possible gold from pyrite is not all that simple, pyrite is a sulfide material and when gold bearing sulfide material  is processed it usually is crushed and then roasted/heated to a precise temperature, too hot and the gold vaporizes, not hot enough and the gold stays trapped in the sulfide material, and that's just the start of the process, so it's not economically feasible unless you have tons and tons of good gold bearing ore that has been confirm by assay to start with and the means/equipment to do the job correctly, so basically it's not worth messing with on such a small piece of pyrite, now it is possible that there maybe some free gold that is not locked up within the pyrite that you could possibly recover by just crushing and panning the pyrite/quartz material, but it would only be an experiment at best with such a small piece of pyrite with not much gold being found in the process.   

Still a very nice piece!  I collect them when I am out because I still think they're cool.  And when you find pyrite, and large crystals, that increases your chances that gold is nearby!!