Nugget Shooter Forums

Our new front gate guardians

Uncle Ron

Yo All... Introducing on the forum our recently moved in front gate guardians...A pair of chuckwallas ... We have gotten the larger one, Chuck, sort of tamed ... His mate, Charlene, is still a bit skittish.. They made their new home in a space between a 10 x 6 beam right next to our front door ... There's a third one about half their size that visits from time to time, but Chuck & Charlene seem to have moved in permanently ...   I was going to chop out some weeds nearby but that seems to be their main food supply ...  I was surprised to learn that chuckwallas are strict vegetarians... Also, after all these years, I learned there is no "a" in chuckwalla ... I've caught dozens of these when growing up near Death Valley ... I do like them, almost as much as I like burros, both species being childhood friends! ... These two are only half grown and more colorful than they will be after they mature... Cheers, Unc, Chuck & Charlene...Oh, and Dodacious, too!

Chuck & Charlene 2.jpg

Chuck.jpg

Chuck2.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/27/2016 at 5:00 PM, Uncle Ron said:

I learned there is no "a" in chuckwalla ... 

:2mo5pow::4chsmu1:Then what's after the "w" and the "ll"  above ?

or do ya say "chukwl"? OK, It's pronounced chuk wool uh.  :brows:Eye nrstnd nowh

Edited by weaver hillbille

4 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

:2mo5pow::4chsmu1:Then what's after the "w" and the "ll"  above ?

or do ya say "chukwl"? OK, It's pronounced chuk wool uh.  :brows:Eye nrstnd nowh

I've always heard it pronounced "chuck a walla" ... Not correct!

5 hours ago, homefire said:

Cool.  It needs a few feather glued on here and there ta make it look a little more fresh.

Nahhh.. What it needs is one a dem All Hallow's Day fake human hands or legs that you hang outta yer slammed shut trunk, 'cept in this case ya hang it outta that critter's maw.. Then ya put up a sign that sez somethin' like: I wasn't joking when I told him to call first..:4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1

On 8/28/2016 at 7:28 PM, Uncle Ron said:

I've always heard it pronounced "chuck a walla" ... Not correct!

Maybe they  were using the spanish . either way , interesting critter

http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/chuckwalla.html

"(snip)........ IGUANIDAE 

Sauromalus is derived from Greek sauros, meaning lizard and omalus, homalus, meaning flat, in reference to the chuckwalla's flattened body shape. It lacks a mid-dorsal crest, and when compared to its closest relatives (the other iguanas), the low profile is obvious. The name ater means black. A previous scientific name used for the chuckwalla is Sauromalus obesus. 

The name chuckwalla (or chuckawalla) is derived from the Shoshone word "tcaxxwal" or "caxwal," the form used by the Cahuilla Indians of southeastern California and originally written in Spanish as "chacahuala." 

They are big and they look mean, but Chuckwallas (Sauromalus ater) are harmless herbivores feeding on desert flowers, fruits and leaves. Young chuckwallas are known to try a grasshopper or two, but stick entirely to plants by the time they are a year old. Chuckwallas obtain all their water from the plants they eat and never drink, even when water is readily available. Instead of urination to void their body of salts, these wastesare passed as crusty salts breaking up and falling out when the reptile exhales. They are adept at living in rocky areas under 4,000 feet elevation. As well as dodging into cracks of the rocks in which they live when threatened, they inflate themselves with air wedging into the crevices solidly, making it nearly impossible to remove them by brute strength. ...........(snip)"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Nahhh.. What it needs is one a dem All Hallow's Day fake human hands or legs that you hang outta yer slammed shut trunk, 'cept in this case ya hang it outta that critter's maw.. Then ya put up a sign that sez somethin' like: I wasn't joking when I told him to call first..:4chsmu1:

Swamp

I had one of those arms.  Someone cut it off and robbed it.  WTH ?

Great link, Weaver!  Chuck & Charlene and the little one are really thriving and becoming more tolerant of our comings and going ... They spend most of the day sunning or feeding on weed leaves... They are very cool ... Cheers, Unc