Nugget Shooter Forums

Bodie - Prospecting Week

GeoJack

Wife and I are headed out this week to the Bodie District for some swing time. LR2000 print outs, Google overlays with the sections and geo overlay for the geology info to chase. Looking at the Virginia Creek location as one place to start.

Taking 2 - GB2's and the Garrett ATX. Hoping the ATX gets it's skunk gone.

Anybody ever worked the area? 

Bodie.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
add image

Keep in mind that LR2000 does not show claim locations..... only to the nearest 1/4 Section, I think. Also, maps of any private property.... Good luck in finding the big one.

the MIS-INFO is worthless on LR 2000 as yet again proven 100% wrong as we just got lied to by BLM and the County Tax Assessment office also. Thank god the 2 idjet bosses out for 2 hour lunch as ML listing website showed claims. The new kid in the office gave me the BLM records for new claims and over 2500 and found the claim staked that they ALL said was none.....darn bureauratz lied,went into office,never looked,came out in a few minutes and make a big deal out of how nice he was to have looked for us. Only problem is--gee wiz over 150 pages with 50 a page(new claims) by claim name and NOT owner. Spent 1 1/2 hours reading-read bosses still out for a 3 hour lunch. Gave new kid my card and a free pass to mine my claims whenever he wanted for his honesty. Lotza luck finding the truth anymore-John

Fred, awesome trip, went to Bodie, Masonic, Buckeye Hot Springs, Twin Lakes, Obsidian Dome and some detecting on the Virginia River off of 395.

All was golden. Beautiful area and will be going back. 

20160826_120223.jpg

20160827_124623.jpg

20160826_133929.jpg

Jack, I drive past the Bodie turn-off often in my trips north. I have often wondered about placer in the hills along that area...not to mention coin detecting the old camps -not Bodie of course-that is a state park.

When I get past kramer junction on 395 I  am instantly happy...

fred

20 hours ago, GeoJack said:

...off of 395...

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

...on 395...

I've only ever driven on 395 once in my life, a lonnng time ago the short distance between S Lake Tahoe to whatever route runs through Yosemite.. Yet a portion of that stretch will forever be a memory to me thanks to one of the best optical illusions I ever did see.. I was wondering if someone more familiar with this stretch of road has ever experienced the following (contrived?) phenomenon:

I'm driving south.. On my left (east) is a wide creek or narrow stretch of river flowing north.. The entire area appears very flat, very rocky (more flat pieces than round) and very devoid of vegetation.. At some point, for a distance of at least two to possibly five miles, I have the distinct feeling I'm going downhill in one direction while the water is flowing downhill the other..

Anyone else..?

Swamp

10 hours ago, fredmason said:

J

When I get past kramer junction on 395 I  am instantly happy...

fred

DAng, that brings back memmories -1973 and the burger joint there:yesss: 

on theway to my first Sierra backpacking trip- Reds Meadows/DEvil's Postpile to Happy Isle in Yosemite.

I was 12, full of burger, fries, and a  chocolate shake/ gallon of rootbeer to go, and 11 days/70 miles  of scouting shenanigans to look forward to.  Dirty Sock Mineral Pool was the camp spot for the night, outside of that major metropolis known as Olancha(( south end of Owen's ( not a lake anymore)Lake)).

Next day we hit HOt Creek  up by the airport just outside Mammoth Lakes for a soak( as well as after the trip:yesss::yesss:) Saw my first skinnydippers:brows: coupling amongst the hot spring enthusiasts.

Shocking  PDA:4chsmu1: And I thought they were just hugging in the water to  float easier . DAd said, "that's not all they're doin' "

1 hour ago, hardtimehermit said:

Yes Swamp, just drove by there on our way to mammoth for the 4th of July. The river looks to be going the wrong way and my wife just wants to float it so bad. :ROFL:

Thank you.. Nice to know it isn't me alone seeing that..

Swamp