Nugget Shooter Forums

Help with snake ID

Uncle Ron

Yo All...This morning I woke up to see this apparently new-born snake floating belly up in our pool --(indoor pool)-- Can anyone give hand in IDing what it is?  It's about 7" long... Thanks ... Cheers, Unc

Baby Snake.jpg

Hi Ron and All

That is a black headed snake. Tantilla is the species but what subspecies ?? The are not dangerous unless of course you get bit or it spits in your eyes. Then your in real trouble :o)

They are a preferred food for coral snakes. I think they eat ants, termites and folks from wburg. They get about 12 inches long maybe a little longer. You can do a google search and find out the subspecies. Happy Huntin John B.

• Like 4

Hey John...Been a long time since we've heard from you...Glad you're still kicking, inspecting houses of ill repute and so forth! ... I did some research late last night and I think it is a Smith's Black headed Snake..According to the source, they get 7 - 12 inches and eat crickets, scorpions, and a few mean bugs.... Cheers, Unc

On 8/21/2016 at 9:08 PM, John B. said:

Hi Ron and All

That is a black headed snake. Tantilla is the species but what subspecies ?? The are not dangerous unless of course you get bit or it spits in your eyes. Then your in real trouble :o)

They are a preferred food for coral snakes. I think they eat ants, termites and folks from wburg. They get about 12 inches long maybe a little longer. You can do a google search and find out the subspecies. Happy Huntin John B.

John B, it's nice to see you can still work the 2 finger keyboard. :thumbsupanim

• Like 1