Nugget Shooter Forums

Beach find got'cha..!

So anyhowww, the Dr. lifted all restrictions for the few days remaining prior to the other eye surgery.. Since I'd been jonesin' sooo bad between the cabin fever and not havin' a metal detector in mah hand I figgered this morning's 2 AM low tide with an overhead nearly full moon was callin' my name.. Tossed a detector, headlamp & bottle of water into the van n off I head for the Cocoa Beach Pier before I get sequestered again for another three weeks..

It's kinda sad how out of shape one can get in a mere three weeks, so I'm just sorta ambling along on the hard sand -- more happy about being out of the house n on the beach than I am about actually making any serious effort toward finding anything.. And since I haven't yet replaced my busted scoop, so can't mozy out onto the loose pack (welll, I can -- just can't easily recover anything,) that's exactly how things are going..

Two hours later... Ok dude, it's 4AM -- time to head to a chair line.. I hadn't gotten ten feet into the dry sand when I get a nice solid steady lower-end tone and an un-common number readout.. I stick the sporty shorty shovel into the sand, hitting compacted sand about halfway, work the blade around, platter n move the plug forward -- and when I pull the shovel out this is hanging off the upper right side.. 
TnsBrcltBch160818.jpg 

I'm like: "Holy chit..! Is that a diamond tennis bracelet..??!" Flip on my three candlepower headlamp and am looking and looking at this thing.. I meannn, it 'looks' real enough -- but then again I'm pretty much looking at it through can't-read-what-I'm-typing eyes while using a birthday candle for illumination.. It'll just have to wait until I get home..

In retrospect I should have made the determination on the beach.. Should have sold it there immediately as well.. Any one of the transients would have had enough dollar to buy it, lol.. Yes, it's paste.. But I have to tell y'all it got my heart to a-beatin' realll good there for a while.. Hopefully the next time it'll be the real deal..

Swamp

PS: Incidentally, I was using the AT Pro.. I usually run it ten disc units lower than Garrett suggests for 'normal' coin shooting in Pro Zero: 25 instead of 35.. This AM I had no discrimination at all tweaked in.. The target locked on 27.. Garrett does make mention of the fact that when running iron disc at 35 it is possible for small gold jewelry (like an ear ring) to not sound off.. Even though this item isn't gold (although there is a possibility of it being gold plated -- I'll get it tested eventually,) had I been running disc at 35 I never would have known it was there..  sa 
TnsBrcltHmPic160818.jpg 
TnsBrcltHmScnBW160818.jpg 

There is nothing wrong with my camera; it's your monitor adjustment.. :th:

Good to see you out.

I was out on that full moon last night too!  I also found junk jewelry but yours is better!  haha

A couple of nights back I found 3 rings.  Two silver and one junk and $8 in change.

We just have to catch the right time and place.

Mitchel

Glad you're getting out again Swamp !!

It's also good to hear your first surgery went well.   :thumbsupanim

Before you know it, both operations will be behind you, and you'll be out there more regular like before.

Take care,

Luke

Glad to hear you're getting out on the beaches again, Swamp.  And even at night time!!  :thumbsupanim

I am hoping your pictures show before eye surgery (top picture) and after surgery (bottom) .... ha...ha...   You've got to get yourself a diamond tester to bring with ya, too. More toys.

Andy

19 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Good to see you out.

I was out on that full moon last night too!  I also found junk jewelry but yours is better!  haha

A couple of nights back I found 3 rings.  Two silver and one junk and $8 in change.

We just have to catch the right time and place.

Mitchel

We need a major churnin' over here, Mitchel.. Haven't had any decent ocean motion since Sandy blew past about 200 miles offshore.. At this point in the year however I'd just as soon one hold off until after all the hatchlings are able to flipper away.. Coin-wise, greenies are now on the endangered species list.. That's what forced me to start detecting at the Pier and other gathering spots proper to begin with.. If it wasn't for the daily drops & spills at those places, welll, let me just say I'd never been skunked on a beach until earlier this summer.. Twice in a week without so much as a penny.. So I followed the CA bears' lead -- down from the hills, wandering into towns to forage for scrap easy pickin's.. 

19 hours ago, Andyy said:

Glad to hear you're getting out on the beaches again, Swamp.  And even at night time!!  :thumbsupanim

I am hoping your pictures show before eye surgery (top picture) and after surgery (bottom) .... ha...ha...   You've got to get yourself a diamond tester to bring with ya, too. More toys.

Andy

Yo Andyy, I actually prefer to beach detect the more tourist-y stretches at night.. Couple of caveats: Late-spring through late-fall (too cold in winter for getting wet then back into air,) at least some moon and only on beaches with which I'm somewhat familiar.. The tide doesn't matter as much as moonlight since there are locations that're better out of water than in, but given a choice low tide it is.. I've detected on moonless nights but it isn't the smartest idea in the world.. You need to have a headlamp on all the time and what's in its beam is all you'll be able to see.. Sketchy at best.. On near full moon nights and better you don't even need to turn the lamp on unless you want to check something out more closely.. Matter of fact, once your eyes adjust you can see better overall with your lamp off than on.. I'm going to guess the only or at least main reason the same doesn't work well in your desert night time hunting environment is because of the brush & scrub and the shadows they cast..

Ha..! Believe it or not I do have a diamond tester.. Bought it a long time ago when going to the Crater Of Diamonds a couple times a year in the hope it worked the same on diamond rough as it does on cut stones.. It doesn't.. Not that I ever got to try it on any I found, since the next one I find will be my first.. :Diggin_a_hole:

Swamp