Nugget Shooter Forums

Beach Finds

mn90403

IMG_8120.JPG

I went out to the beach last night for two reasons.  One reason was to hunt for jewelry and the other was to see the meteor shower.  As you can see the hunt was not very exciting and it turned out the meteors were not that plentiful either.  It was still a good night.

I was out at a higher low tide just about the time the moon set.  My very first target was the small gold ring.  (10k/1.6g)  I thought it was going to be a great night but after 1.5 hours that was all I could find of real value.

This is a beach that I hunt often and I heard a lot of other 'rings' but it was pull-tab city.

One thing that was found was the largest 'ingot' of metal ever.  We find these often but never this large.  I don't know what it could be.

Anyone have an idea?

Mitchel

That you find a lot of them most likely makes my thought not = true..

I've found a few on this side, never rusty and never identifiable.. What they most remind me of is either a blob of something like SteelStik or a massive overuse of some sort of solder, I'm guessing in order to effect an emergency repair asea.. The repair doesn't hold, ends up in the drink and that's what they look like when you find them after they're churned ashore..

With you finding many though, this now doesn't seem as likely a scenario..

Swamp

PS: Are they heavy or light..? A couple I've found 'remind' me of silver solder..

Most of the time it is just melted tin foil and aluminum cans. "Beach Blobs" can be a PITA, but it's still a day at the beach, and a whole lot easier than digging in caliche! :thumbsupanim

Is this anywhere near where a shipwreck burned, or where some underwater torch cutting was going on?

Old Tom

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

Is this anywhere near where a shipwreck burned, or where some underwater torch cutting was going on?

Old Tom

It is from the Treasure Coast Old Tom, about a mile N of where they found the $4.5M numismatic value gold coinage last summer.. There are 1715 treasure ship sites both N & S of where this was found.. Since they went down in a hurricane not burning at that time, but who's to say what may have happened during the following few years while the Spaniards were trying to recover as much as possible.. There's also other sunken ships on both sides that were both carrying and not carrying treasure.. I don't know the circumstances surrounding those sinkings.. Ergo that possibility does exist..

As far as underwater torch cutting in the immediate area goes, my first thought is to say no.. However, depending on the age of the more modern sinkings there could be reason for underwater torch work.. One of the ships was hauling cannons, cannonballs etc.. For whatever reasons they were unable to salvage some of the stuff.. That location was turned into an underwater historical park accessable only by diving / SCUBA.. I don't doubt there's been much underwater torch usage about 20 miles south around Vero Beach and the Ft. Pierce inlet area though..

1 hour ago, GeoJack said:

pewter?

I'm thinking you may be right, GeoJack.. It's far from 'pure' though, whatever it is.. Within it's mixed with a filler perhaps..? I need to find some procedural testing info.. It's tough too.. I've tried to break that thin piece off (by hand) and can't do so.. One would think pewter that thin and joined the way it is would snap easily enough.. Nope..

Swamp

I'll have to get my blobs shot with a gun and tell you what they are made of.  These two are much larger than most I find but they are not heavy.

This beach had lots of lead weights I find that are of a commercial nature.  I've found pounds of the stuff after storms with most of the eyes rusted off.  I think they were used for commercial saltwater fishing lines.  It had been a great California halibut fishery in the past. 

5 hours ago, Terry Soloman said:

Could be Zinc.zinc.jpg

I'd thought of zinc too, Terry.. There's a couple of reasons I'm fairly certain it is not, the main one being this is quite a bit heavier than an equal amount of zinc.. The other is it just doesn't look like zinc.. I realize the scans aren't the best but they're still better than what I can get with my older camera.. I can see the simillarities of what I was able to capture and post to your three examples, but a better photo of what I have would also show the differences.. If I can get a couple decent shots through a loupe, as soon as you see its structure you'd know what I mean..

Swamp

Archived