Nugget Shooter Forums
Andyy

Large Gold, Small Coil

Andyy,

Tell us more about:

What did it sound like at first?

How long did it take you to dig it?

What did you do when you first saw it?  (Was it at night?)

Inquiring minds want to know ... haha

Dude..!! :yesss:
I'm late to the party -- it's all already been said..! Killer find..!

Swamp

• Like 1

ok, Mitchel.  I thought some of my past stories may have been too detailed and drawn out so I was trying to keep it short.  But I'll oblige.  

The sound was a shock when I first heard it.  I had just gone through a wash with multiple coils without finding much at all.  I had been out all night and it was about 7am and warming up quick.   So I decided to go through with the Sadie to snipe around the rocks.  I found very little again, and decided to hike to another area.  As the heat was rising my spirits were dropping.  So as I'm hiking I push the tiny coil ahead of me (with very little care to technique - to be honest) and walk about 5 minutes before  hearing a loud target (wee-woo).  I back up and find the target.  It was clear.  Had to be trash.  Had to be on the surface.  I kicked the top layer to the side in a pile and thought I had it out of the shallow hole. I was still thinking it was trash on the surface (because it was so clear)  But I soon realized it was still in the hole and was not surface trash.  I dug to a few inches and it was getting louder.  Up to 8 inches now and I was getting excited because it was blaring.  Then it was overloading my 5000.  It took only a few minutes to this point because I had a pretty narrow hole and it really wasn't hard digging.  No clay.  It looked like a broken down bedrock, which I thought was strange.  I wasn't scraping bedrock.  Now I spent another few minutes to widen the hole so I could figure out where the target was at.  Doing this I realized i had removed it from the hole.  I glanced at the magnet on my pick and I didn't see any big nails sticking out.  Thank god!!  I thought.  Can't tell you how many let downs I've had at this point.  So now I'm amped.   Matter of fact, after pinpointing the target location, I quickly went to sit in front of the pile and sat on a freakin cactus that I had completely forgotten about.  No fooling. It took another minute to pull out the cactus from legs and buttocks. (unfortunately I am not exaggerating on this).  Anyways, I am soon back onto my knees and get the target in my scoop.  I separate it in half, with my hand full of large rocks and the scoop full of dirt and the small stuff.  I am ready to throw down the large rocks, but surprisingly, the scoop full of small stuff does not ring out.  I throw that down and work through the rocks.  I get this big target in my hand.  It's heavy and it looks like a piece of caliche.  I checked a second time because I thought I made a mistake.  I dumped a little water from my camelpack water on it, I saw color come through!  Scrubbing it more I see gold all around it.  Wow.  Let's just say I had a very big smile ear to ear.  Really, though, I didn't know how nice of piece I had until I took it out of my jewelry cleaner at home.  That reaaallly cleaned it up.  And that's the rest of the story ....

• Like 10

:yesss: RIGHTEOUS :ROFL: great story as that does not glitter may also be gold,great cautionary tale..John..formula/equipment to find appx gold content posted here many times in the past.

Edited by Hoser John
  • Like 1

Fan Tas Tic    FIND !!!!
Hook up a lil multimeter to it an start touchin all sides/gold U B sayin  OOOOOOUUU   LA LA after that !
Beautiful piece Congrats an GO BACK an see ifn thars  eeny famly left round those parts.

• Like 1

OK, my guess on gold content is, drum roll, 2.85 OZT! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

Awesome Specimen Andy way to follow up on a signal left behind some time intuition pays off

Great Specimen thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Cool story Andy and nice speci! What a find! :yesss:

• Like 1

Thanks all.  It'll probably be a week before I get a scale to do more accurate measurements.  When I do, I will post gold content here.   That should be interesting based on some of the guesses on here. 

Andyy

Andy,

Thanks for the details.  It lets us share your excitement.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Hey Andy I smell a contest. Whoever guesses the right weight gets the nugget.......Haha. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Hey Andy I smell a contest. Whoever guesses the right weight gets the nugget.......Haha. 

GREAT idea..!

Of course you realize to do so requires you putting up one of your uncrushed speci for the 2nd closest guess, right..? :WOW::th_panic: :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, Uncle Ron said:

OK, my guess on gold content is, drum roll, 2.85 OZT! ... Cheers, Unc

I was going to guess 3ozt...   But as far as guesses go, I'd think that Uncle Ron's was more 'educated'.

Just in case this "contest" takes hold, I'm going to guess....3.18 OZT!!:brows:

• Like 1

Dan and Swamp, you are both evil.  Well I already knew that about Swamp, but Dan ....?!?!!..     :4chsmu1: 

• Like 3

Haha. Awesome find bud. That's a treasure for sure. 

Ok swamp, if I have to. Non are as pretty as Andy's though.

• Like 3

Gonna have to be a gentlemen's contest.  Nobody gets "my precious" without a fight.  ha..ha.. :cowboypistol:

• Like 3

Hey Andyy,

Great specimen you have there. Yes, it is real nice when the "gold gods" smile upon you.:yesss:

If you want to have some fun with that specimen, have all your prospecting buddies try and guess the weight of the gold content.  Each guess costs $5.00 or whatever.  The closest guess gets the pot. Of course you keep the gold.

Saw that on youtube where an Australian prospector had his friends guess the weight of a quartz specimen.  It was then crushed, melted down and weighed.  I believe the specimen contained 29.9 grams of gold.

I suppose this game could still be played using the specific gravity test.

Congratz,

Bob

• Like 1

alright, my first guess is 3.875 oz. my second guess is Nov 23rd. :idunno:

My money's on Uncle Ron.

• Like 1

Nice gold. Have you considered performing a specific gravity test to approximately determine how much gold is in it? 

Wow!!!  That's a 10+ on anyone's specimen chart.  I enjoyed your story very much -- frosting on the cake so to speak.

• Like 1