Nugget Shooter Forums

Large Gold, Small Coil

Andyy

Well I was bummed I could not meet up with Luke and the gang, when they planned, due to other commitments.  So I went out on a different day.  Turns out, the gold gods shined down on me.

You might think I'm crazy, but this was my schedule.  Finish work Friday, grab some dinner and a redbox movie with the family, and head for the hills at midnight.  And yes there was a monster energy drink and a couple coffees in the mix as well. :head:

I knew from depth testing that the Sadie was a bad a$$ coil, but it's hard to motivate using this coil due to the small coverage area.  That said, I am glad I forced myself to do this.  You should too.  For me, the wet ground was making my large coils tough to ground balance.  The Sadie purred and found me this Specimen at 11-12"  It's too big to weigh on my scale, but that probably doesn't matter anyways.  I don't think it has all that much gold.  It may not even be worth that much.  But it sure is gorgeous.  Almost looks like a rattlesnake head.  20160806_113958.jpg

20160806_113649.jpg

20160806_113704.jpg

20160806_113734.jpg

20160806_113936.jpg

• Like 8

Is that the 'tin can' you were talking about ???

:ROFL:

That's AWESOME Andy !!

Congratulations   :D

Luke

• Like 1

Luke - the tin can I told you about was a drive I took Monday night.  Approx. 45 miles drive out there to check a signal I left approx. 6 months ago.  It haunted my dreams.  So I drove out there ... hiked to the spot and easily found the soda can in 5 minutes, that I was having trouble with previously. Then the bugs attacked so I drove back :idunno:   Crazy, I know, but I've slept better since.  ha..ha  I'm sure my wife thought I was a little crazy.  But now I was able to show her this specimen and she understands my fever ... ehem ...  determination/conviction.

This signal was different.  It was very clear and I just figured it was a boot tack near the surface.  Until I dug ... and dug ... and got so excited that I sat on a cactus behind me.   That smarted  :WOW:

• Like 2

Very nice rough piece!  WTG!   I bet it has more gold in it than you suspect....Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Ron said:

Very nice rough piece!  WTG!   I bet it has more gold in it than you suspect....Cheers, Unc

It does have more gold than he thinks.

Take it to a grocery store and use one of the scales there.  They'll enjoy doing it for you.

If you find a way to get a wet weight you can estimate the amount of gold if the host rock is similar to quartz by using this site:

http://www.desert-gold-diggers.org/gold/specgrav.htm

Good find.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Great find!

Along with everybody else, I think there is quite a bit of gold in that rock and would even guess it to be in the 2-3 ounce range of gold content. I have found many specimens and when the gold shows like it does on the outside, usually it is the same on the inside.

Congrats!

Edited by matt
  • Like 1

Andyy,

What a nice find!!!

I agree that there's much more gold in that specimen then you seem to think, I can see more than an ounce visiable on the outside alone, I also agree with Matt that you should treat yourself to a new scale capable of weighing that piece!!

• Like 1

Mine is a little smaller and flatter, it's total weight is about 2 ounces (don't know the gold content), but a specimen I have is a very close match to that. The grey/milky quartz is scaly just like that. I wonder if it's from the same area. 

• Like 1

Holy cow Andy!! 
Thats an awsome finde :yesss:

Gets me fired up to get back out there :)
WTG!!!
Tom H.

• Like 1

Thank you, everybody!  I went to the produce dept to get a rough weight.  Looks to be 5oz.  Can't tell if it's a little less or a little more.  Sorry Relichunter, I have big hands. :)

Matt - agreed.  Time for a new scale.  That is something I didn't forsee.

Mitchel - I was thinking the same thing.  Once I get another scale, I will approximate the gold content.  Thank you for the link.

• Like 2

Andyy ... 5 oz?  I have a specimen with less gold than that showing that weighs about 3.5 oz and it has 1.5 oz of gold in it!  Next time you are out where you found that piece, get a similar piece of quartz without gold showing (if that is all you can find) and weigh it.  I did that and came pretty close to knowing how much gold was in the rock.

• Like 1