Nugget Shooter Forums

Who's (still) using a turntable / record player as their home primary music playback deviece..?

14 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

Hey Swamp, your eye must be a whole lot better now! Glad to "see" ya back on here like usual again! :thumbsupanim

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa.. I was feeling much better the following day.. But seeing clearly..? Naw, that ain't happening yet.. The repaired eye is still blurry while improving daily.. Other eye's blurry for the main reason and will be re-grooved in a week-n-a-half.. Right now the biggest difference / improvement is with color and brightness.. I had no idea how yellow I was seeing everything, easily at least fifteen points.. Couple that with translucence and there's the dulling down of the world I didn't even realize was taking place..

Also, and I don't totally understand this, but these days the implants can adjust for up to 1.5 -- something.. Far sightedness?, near sightedness?, astigmatism? -- I don't know the whats or hows, just that they can.. In my case I'm beyond that number in both eyes, which means I'll still need glasses, just not as 'strong'? or what ever.. Due to this I'm not sure how clearly (probably un-blurry is a better word) I'll be able to see sans specs.. I assume better; how much better is the unknown right now..

Swamp

:th:Wish you all the luck in the world Swamp ,take it slow and it will come. A world without sight was 2 of my relatives fate...a artist and curator of art at a museum.....covet whatever you get and MUCH respect for going through so much and still great attitude...oops that's right your a miner and we are all optimists from the get go. Kudos-John

On 8/11/2016 at 10:37 AM, AuTSaurus said:

...I don't think I could store vintage stuff without knowing what working shape it was in, LOL, it would make me crazy wondering!...

Greg

You are absolutely correct.. The thing is, at the time in history I would have done so we really didn't need to because the equipment and parts were everywhere (name brand 12AX7 tubes at the drug store for 30 cents each..? Where do I form the double line with myself, lol..!)

Today though..? Welll, first thing I should say is when I say they're untested I usually mean they're untested in a system I've set up for personal use.. I know the components work.. If anything I don't know how well they work, which usually means they just need a good cleaning.. So I'll chance putting 'em up as is..

Really, the only 'spare' components I have I truly am not sure about are the Garrard and Technics that came with the rack.. I guess the only reason I still even have them is because I'm always going to go through 'em "next week.."

Swamp

Really..? This is it..?? No one else here still using a turntable..? 

Anyone else still at least have a turntable in their component stereo system..? Anyone else still at least have a component stereo system period..?

Kinda mindblowing if everyone else is using Sirius or their smart phone as their main source of music.. But I suppose in a world where one can access like 14 million songs at the touch of a button, why not..?

Why not..? I'll tell you why not..? Because it's cold and impersonal is why not..! It's akin to getting a filet mignon dinner to go and then eating it while driving is why not, although now that I think about it I certainly would prefer that to a double belly buster with cheeze and a medium bag of fake fries while rolling down the interstate and set on cruze control as the miles tick off..

In a circumstance like that I get how jacking in an ipod / smart phone or punching up Sirius is a good thing.. But at home while kicking back..? Doesn't make much sense to me.. It removes the relaxation factor, essentially turning 'your' music into background music.. With your entire house "wired" and no album cover to read or double-album cover to, ahhhh, read, you end up not kicked back relaxing but instead wandering around your house, perhaps wondering iif washing the dishes might not be such a bad idea (you don't do 'em) or since the season's changed maybe you should change the bottom sheet on your bed too (you don't do that either..) Is it any wonder that six months later you can't even remember the name of your newest most favoritest song of all time and for forever..? Totally blows Led Zep away, you'd said at the time.. Today, along with the song title you can't even remember a complete verse.. Lessee: 'somethin' somethin' somethin' rockin' good time', I think it went.. Yeah, right..

Exaggeration..? I don't think so.. If it is, not by much.. Without question the vast majority of present-day music is produced to appeal to a society in motion.. In today's world the average Joe / Josie needs to be constantly on the move simply to keep his head above water.. If one isn't born into the silver spoon who is trying to achieve any type of spoon at all, it isn't free time any longer that person needs to sacrifice, it's sleep.. Is it any wonder this world and its people are in such shambles..?

Consequently the lion's share of the soundtrack for life today isn't about relaxation, it's about motivation.. And not a healthy type of motivation either.. It's a motivational need to break through a barrier that didn't even exist a few short decades ago, back when a dad with an average job could afford his wife at home, a mortgage, a car payment and with judicious savinga plus a small bank loan put two kids through college.. Where did that world get to (rhetorical, because we all already know)..? And to where did the soundtrack that kept that world spinning disappear..? (also rhetorical, because we know that answer as well..)

Yes, I did end up extrapolating here far beyond the subject matter.. Still, every bit of it is relevent and has to do with the subject.. The revived interest in vinyl and turntables is about more than just hearing music the way it was meant.. It's also about our children and grandchildren (whether or not they consciously realize it yet) rejecting the notion their lives need to be spent in the "on" position 24/7/365 just in order to have a shot at an average-at-best existance.. And I, for one, am glad to see this taking place..

Swamp

Wish I had all the Equipment I had.  Some day I'll build or Replace the Amp.  Class A not the A/B B or what ever it is today.  Just not with it.  CD's and MP-3 are nothing like the original music. My High Freq Hearing is just about history and they all sound tinny to me.  

On 8/14/2016 at 2:27 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

It's also about our children and grandchildren (whether or not they consciously realize it yet) rejecting the notion their lives need to be spent in the "on" position 24/7/365 just in order to have a shot at an average-at-best existance.. And I, for one, am glad to see this taking place..

AMEN! Very well said, Swamp! I've gave up trying to keep up with the 24/7/365 rat race almost 10 years ago, when I made the decision to live out the remainder of my years with the least amount of stress possible. Aside from freelance and part-time work I choose to do, I basically chose to be "semi-retired" before I turned 50 to preserve what little sanity I still have. It was the best decision I ever made and I've become a much happier person in general as a result. Living in the fast lane is overrated. Life goes by far too quickly on it's own, without forcing oneself to try to keep up at an insane pace. It reminds me of the saying, "Don't run, you'll just die tired." I lived well below the poverty level for several years, which was a HUGE change from a fat $2300/month salary as an executive administrative assistant (on top of my monthly VA disability income benefit). I had to make a lot of sacrifices to adjust and it wasn't easy at first. I can honestly tell my sons that the silver spoons they were born with are in the monogram engraved sterling silver flatware set that was a wedding gift from my paternal grandparents to my mom and dad (along with my very own silver baby spoon.) Things sure were different when I was growing up!

I'll be the first to admit I still listen to new and alternative rock music on the radio when I'm driving or at work. If it gets too heavy metal or screaming for my taste, I turn it off or change the station. If it makes me feel stressed, it's trashed. If it makes me feel pressured, I walk away from it.

I don't expect to live on Cloud 9 all of the time, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be pushed & shoved in order to conform to someone elses expectations of timeliness. I rarely wear a watch because the batteries always die prematurely. I carry too much natural static electricity and short them out, so why fight time? It's pointless! You can't really live if you've always got one eye on the clock or are worried about time. There's never going to be enough of it, so get over that and start enjoying the time you have!

A good friend and neighbor guy I went through high school with down in Jupiter, FL posted a link on FB 10 days ago about a Stevie Ray Vaughn vinyl sale going on at Barnes & Noble. Interesting... This same guy recently posted some very cool pics and links about homemade "high end" audio systems and tube-powered amplifiers from other guys who still dabble in "old tech." Obviously there's still a following out there, but it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. The younger generations were raised in the fast times when everything went digital almost overnight. We can share the old tech sound with them for as long as we are around, but ultimately old tech will end up as nothing more than another museum piece. Perhaps the one and ONLY way music has and will always be heard, the way it was meant to be heard, is live. (Assuming there's not a complete moron running the mixing board!) :ROFL:

Lisa

Growing up Tubes were still Prevalent  , still being made and I even learned in USAF Electronics school there workings but never did anything with it.  Wasn't keen on the Higher Voltages in play.   Not much a tube can do that the better Semiconductors can't.  Except one thing.  Tubes are pretty much immune to EMP from a Nuke Blast.  Durring the cold war a Mig pilot defected and we got to see what was so special about one.  They laughed at the Russian using Tubes in the Radio's, Avionics and stuff.  Then they figured out why.  EMP Proof. 

25 minutes ago, homefire said:

Then they figured out why.

Yup.. There really is a reason some of our military & other secure sites still operate on "obsolete" equipment or have stone age backup..

Swamp

EDIT: Kind of funny you mentioning that, Homie -- cos I'm in the middle of typing a reply to Lisa and one of the things I mention is the amazing amount of new tubes we left scattered all the heck over SE Asia following Viet Nam.. I sure wouldn't mind having a couple sleeves of new black-face long-plate RCA 12AX7s and a couple dozen 6L6 and 6V6 any suffix..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
21 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

AMEN!

Lisa

Very well said yourself..!

I no longer wear a watch either.. Hard to believe it's going on 20 years for me.. Took it off the day I walked out of a photo lab for the last time (remember film for cameras, lol) and haven't worn one since.. Multi-function countdown watch, in order to catch  the lead end of film & paper when they began coming out of the processors so you could begin racking the film with its bag or start spooling the prints, since you'd been away doing something else.. We weren't being paid to "watch it run through the soup," as we were so often reminded by da boss.. Talk about being ruled by time..? That was the place..!

Radio is radio.. I'll leave it at that, except to say I still have AM/FM/Cassette in my current ride.. I have homemade tapes pushing forty years old that've spent their entire lives in whatever I was driving at the time, going through everything from Arizona & Florida summers to Michigan, Ohio & PA winters, that still play fine.. Doubt I would be able to say the same thing about CDs.. Never needed to toss very many away either, and of those I did most were due to being munched, not recording medium failure.. Always paid to buy quality tape, even if it was normal bias TDKs on sale at a quarter each..

Ok, on to the good stuff: Vinyl and equipment.. Let's start with equipment.. Quick rememberence you struck via your old neighbor first: Around ten years ago + - there was a fairly active group of people making home-built custom higher-end power amps and selling them on eBay.. Almost all of the builders were overseas, the majority of whom were from Germany and Italy.. I don't know if their being better able to easier access quality tubes, including those manufactured in the USA and left all over SE Asia by the warehousefull following Viet Nam had anything to do with this or not, but it probably did.. I'm talking some beautiful stuff here, including hand manufacturing the chassis.. There was this one guy from Italy, if you wanted one of his power amps the only way you were going to get it was by also purchasing him a round trip ticket for personal hand-carried delivery plus installation, and he wasn't leaving until your system was operating to both of your satisfactions.. I thought this to be a bit odd and kind of funny at first, until I thought about it a while.. Smart guy, in more ways than two..

I haven't looked at that kind of stuff on the Bay for years, so it is kinda nice to hear there are still folks carrying on the tradition..

Anyhow, when I feel the need to get my audiophile equipment droolin' on while at the same time going into price tag sticker shock cardiac arrest, here's the link to my location of choice: store.acousticsounds.com (may need to copy & paste..) Majorly serious eye candy here..!

Amazingly, if I was into (read: could afford) freshly pressed high-end top-quality audiophile vinyl re-issues I would choose the same place.. That link is: acousticsounds.com 
Better yet would be to type acoustic sounds into your favorite search engine and check out the vids; if nothing else watch the tour vid.. The owner, a fellow by the name of Chad Kassem, started out in mid-80s Salina, KS selling used audiophile vinyl  out of a 2nd floor 2BR apartment.. Today, six moves and 70,000 sq ft later, he mfg's some of the highest quality audio vinyl in the world and only got into that end of the biz (in house, that is) maybe ten years ago when he was able to buy all of soon-to-be-closed-doors Classic Records equipment..

He also has a recording studio in an old church where they cut direct-to-disk masters, blues mainly.. And, because of the setup he now has, he is the only place in the world (as far as I know) that can do everything from signing a recording artist through releasing a finished product both wholesale and retail while keeping every step of that process totally in-house.. Total quality control throughout, and these folks are totally about quality..! He also recently purchased all The Mastering Plant's equipment, which had been located in Ojai, CA and is a tube-driven mastering facility..

There's way more than I can try to pass along without fear of screwing up names and dates etc.. Check out the links.. You won't be disappointed..

Swamp