Nugget Shooter Forums

No FL beach finds reports for the next 5 weeks or so..

Bit of a bummer, this.. With the eye surgeries scheduled for 8 & 22 Aug I figured I still had a week's worth of beach time prior to sequestration.. However, a nagging "summer cold" has revealed itself to be a bit more.. Started on antibiotics today (Z-pak = five day only run at least..) It also means needing to stay out of the sun too though.. Seems I'll be pulling batteries from detectors sooner than anticipated..

I do have a whole mess of finds since the beginning of the year that didn't make any sense posting about individually at the times found.. Assuming post-ops are the piece of cake everyone says, I'll try to pull a bunch of 'em together for a post or two..

In the meantime though I expect all you heat-weary 'flatlanders' to saddle up n attack the high ground to find mucho nuggies for personal satisfaction and posting purposes.. Enough with the practicing by finding bullets, BBs & brass only already..! I am gonna need fresh stuff to read about with my new eyes, ya know..?! :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Dang Al, I'll be pulling for you to feel better sooner than later, and after the eyes get rebuilt you ain't going to need any detectors you will be spotting treasure 2" to 3" under the sand!! :thumbsupanim

3 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

With the eye surgeries scheduled for 8 & 22 Aug I figured I still had a week's worth of beach time prior to sequestration..

Hey Swamp, I didn't see your post about the why part of your eye surgery, but I'm wishing you a speedy recovery from both that and your cold! Not that it's any consolation, but a few years ago a routine eye exam revealed the very early stages of cataracts in both of my baby blues. People probably wonder why I'm never seen without my super-dark shades on unless it's night time - that's why! But someday I'll probably have to face eye surgery too... would be awesome if they could do lasik vision correction at the same time! (Not likely with the VA, but I can dream!) :D

I wish you the best and hope you are able to get back out there soon!

LE

Yeah Swamp, know a lot of people getting that eye surgery.  All seem to walk away loving it.  Best of luck to ya kicking that cold, too!!  Gotta get you out there kicking a few Gators and Snakes, again!!

Swamp you will be up and going in no time. Getting good vision back sounds great. Good luck bud and keep in touch. 

Dan

Doc said I need cataract surgery also BUT will not operate within 2 weeks of ANY ILLNESS OR INFECTION. Especially sinus or oral...take your time, no rush. Know dozens who had no problem, even 87 year old Mom RIP-...John

4 hours ago, Hoser John said:

Doc said I need cataract surgery also BUT will not operate within 2 weeks of ANY ILLNESS OR INFECTION....John

John -- Since I started the ABs on a Sunday (5 day run, done Thur) I couldn't get in touch with the office until today.. The Doc had just gotten back from today's surgeries, and the reply from the main man is no problem..

I made the decision to start the ABs as soon as I found out what's going on is a bacterial infection, accepting the possibility of needing to reschedule due to doing so.. I was much more worried about not starting on ABs, not saying anything, still having the surgery done and risking infection from being silly stoopid -- all because I really do need this done ASAP.. You / your doc are absolutely correct here.. Can hardly believe how rapidly my reading vision is worsening.. I'm typing this at 125% in bold and it's mostly a blur.. Three weeks ago I could type at a non-bold 110% and see it ok.. Continued below..

15 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

Hey Swamp, I didn't see your post about the why part of your eye surgery... ...a few years ago a routine eye exam revealed the very early stages of cataracts in both of my baby blues...

LE

I will share a cautionary tale with those of you who may be doing the same thing I had been until the beginning of June this year: From the time I needed my first pair of glasses ('89 or '90), which then weren't even bi-focals, just a small correction for night time driving, I've not seen an opthamologist.. My next pair of glasses is when I needed a reading correction, and ever since that time I've only ever seen the optomitrist at whichever quick-and-dirty big box name had that mall space..

The big box places, and by extention their freelance optomitrist, aren't the least bit interested in your overall eye health.. The only thing they're interested in is selling another pair of lenses.. Except for the glaucoma test the optomitrist's job at those places is to dial in what it takes for you to read a billboard and read a book out of the same pair of glasses and that's it..

Macular degeneration runs late in life on my mom's side, an age I never expect to see.. Still, I was at least taking lutein.. However, that was the only thing I was doing to give my eyes a possible helping hand -- even though like most of us I have a great fear of going blind.. And unlike our Oregal I almost never wear sun glasses, just use a ball or trucker's cap -- something with a visor, all because I always found it too much of a PITA carrying around a different pair.. Only time I come close is when wearing tinted motorcycle goggles..

This most recent time I could no longer read the phone book the g/f was able to talk me into seeing an opthamologist, based on the macular degeneration thing.. As it turns out that dep't is fine but it isn't changing reading vision that's the problem, it's cataracts -- and not just a little bit of early stage either (I also had no idea wearing sun glasses helped in slowing down their takeover..) Pretty much word-for-word the Dr said to me: You don't have a prescription problem, you have a cataract problem.. I can write you a stronger prescription, but it isn't going to help much, if at all.. I recommend surgery, sooner rather than later..

Was I stunned..? Yes.. I didn't have a clue this was going on.. While there's no stopping it's advance, it may have been slowed down.. However, knowing me, this is probably the best way it could have gone down.. The needing to have something get done like right now always beats allowing me wiggle room to procrastinate..

Bottom line is if you haven't seen an opthamologist in a good long time and only have been seeing an optomitrist if even that, do yourself a favor and set an appointment.. You may just be able to buy yourself a few more years before needing surgery, or, like myself, find out you have something going on with your vision you didn't even suspect..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al

Al,

I wouldn't have known, either, but the Tucson VA outpatient clinic I went to was very good about scheduling eye exams. Macular Degeneration is a whole different matter and I'm glad that's been ruled out in your case! After checking for signs of Glaucoma, my eye doc informed me that I have the optic nerves of an 18-year-old. lol

My super-dark prescription shades were provided by the VA because of my migraine headaches, not because of the cataracts. However, the more UV protection you give your eyes, the better your chances are of delaying the need for cataract removal surgery.

Advice to all: Do not confuse "Polarized Lenses" with "UV Protective Lenses." It's not the same thing and unless the label states a UV Protection rating, they may not have it. I was researching this online recently... Apparently an ophthalmologist can determine if UV Protection is present or not by performing a simple test on the lenses. Polarization reduces glare but it doesn't block the harmful UV light waves that can damage the eyes.

Larger frame/lens UV Protective sunglasses help block UV rays better around the top, bottom and sides of the eyes than smaller lenses. (Yep, in this case, bigger IS better!) :ROFL: Wearing a ball cap, visor, or a hat with a brim shades your face from direct sun, but the National Eye Institute recommends wearing sunglasses, too. UV rays reflect off of surfaces and hit your eyes from all angles. They also claim that smoking is connected to cataract formation somehow... Yet, smoking a certain herbs is prescribed for glaucoma patients and for other illnesses and symptoms. Go figure! The fact is, there's still a lot of research being done and studies being conducted to determine what causes cataract formation, especially in adults age 40 to 60.

I haven't noticed any change in my reading vision, my night vision or my distance vision since I had my last eye exam 2 or 3 years ago. My close-up vision has always been exceptionally good (I only need weak reading glasses if I'm wearing contact lenses for distance vision.) As long as it stays that way it's probably a good sign that I'm on the right track.

LE

Good post LE. I had my last eye examine in May, don't know the type of Doc the examiner is but the company also makes my eye glasses. About every three years I need them to be a little stronger.

For about thirty years I've always worn transition glasses. My near vision is the problem, my far vision is good and at 73 I'm not complaining. The Doc told me in May that I was 5-7 years away from cataracts. 

Here in Brazil the sun is brutal, especially on skin. When I plan on spending any length of time driving on the highway I do have a pair of slip on dark shades for my transitions. 

You mentioned bigger glasses which is the style here and very dark. 

Thanks for your post. 

garimpo

Swamp...just take it easy and heal up....You will be back out there in no time 
Tom H.