Nugget Shooter Forums

Faraday Cage Idea

Andyy

I was wondering if anyone has successfully created a faraday cage to use in the city for testing PI machines?   By faraday cage, I am referring to a metal enclosure (metal netting) etc. used to protect equipment from EMI.  And yes, you would have to have a large enough enclosure so as not to detect the cage itself.  This has been a frustration ever since I bought my PI machine.  You want to test your coils and basic capabilities but the EMI created by planes, telephone lines, and your house electricity, can all wreak havoc on your Pulse Induction detector.  Because of this you usually have to drive quite a ways out of the city to do any testing.  If you've done this or tried it, I would like to hear about it. 

Andy,

I have a huge 20X20 faraday copper cage at work we use for testing radios. I tried my gpx 5000 in it once long ago, but there was so much metal all around me it sounded off the detector even with the stock 11" coil, you would need a very large cage, as not to detect the cage metal itself.

Dave

• Like 1

That's good to know, Dave.  I would have thought 20' x 20' would be plenty of distance.  The one thing I've found which would also likely kill the idea, is that for full protection, you need to cover the floor as well (which obviously defeats the purpose).    But I had to ask. 

Andy

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

That's good to know, Dave.  I would have thought 20' x 20' would be plenty of distance.  The one thing I've found which would also likely kill the idea, is that for full protection, you need to cover the floor as well (which obviously defeats the purpose).    But I had to ask. 

Andy

Yes it has to be completely covered, and the one I have at work is completely RF isolated, I actually wouldnt mind having one at home to sleep in, hehe....

From floor to roof is about 7 or 8 feet, and if the detector is in the middle say 4 feet, It still sounds the minelab off.... now I havent checked it out on the sdc2300, but I dont get much interference on that one.... I got a nice little 6" coil for the 5000 about 6 months ago, maybe I will have to check that out in the cage. 

P.S. I measured the cage and its actually 12' X 18' , if I test the 6" coil with it, I will let you know..

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 1

Andy quick answer. on the SD series they used the aluminum control housing for a shielding to block EMI. thats why it had a aluminum foil barrier under the plastic end plates.
same reason for the foil inside co-ax cable and the carbon shielding in the early coils.

Big tip: if you have even a small hole without shielding from the coil to the control housing it will let EMI in.

If you want to know more PM me. I modded early minlabs for years.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1