Nugget Shooter Forums

Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector - okay for starter on tight budget ?

GKL

I know most of you have detectors much more expensive, but for a newbie starting out trying a new hobby on a very tight budget, is the

Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector

okay for a beginner ?

Buy what suits you. Obviously there are going to be limitations and differences between lower end detectors and higher end detectors. But you will at least know if you want to get into this hobby or not. I don't know much about the machine you are looking at but you have to start somewhere right. Good luck.

Dan

• Like 3

Without knowing where you are located or what may be available in your area vs what interests you right now ( coin shooting, relics or gold nuggets )... ??

In a nut shell, most low-end detectors are basic coin shooters.. Before you purchase anything I suggest you spend some time perusing: http://www.findmall.com/ If I recall correctly, they even have a forum dedicated to exactly the info you seek (not detector specific..) Read anon, join, ask Qs.. Total win / win site..

Swamp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Buy what suits you. Obviously there are going to be limitations and differences between lower end detectors and higher end detectors. But you will at least know if you want to get into this hobby or not. I don't know much about the machine you are looking at but you have to start somewhere right. Good luck.

Dan

Thanks, with the understanding that low end detectors are not going to perform as well as the top end models, I look for high reviews on the model I am considering so at least I can have some assurance that it is worth getting for what it is. 

Here is a link to it, it has 4.5 stars out of 5 with 116 reviews - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bounty-Hunter-Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector-with-Ground-Trac/9854893

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Without knowing where you are located or what may be available in your area vs what interests you right now ( coin shooting, relics or gold nuggets )... ??

In a nut shell, most low-end detectors are basic coin shooters.. Before you purchase anything I suggest you spend some time perusing: http://www.findmall.com/ If I recall correctly, they even have a forum dedicated to exactly the info you seek (not detector specific..) Read anon, join, ask Qs.. Total win / win site..

Swamp

Thanks, I'll check out that web site you mentioned.  I live in Fairfield county in South Carolina, there are gold mines in South Carolina, including Fairfield county, so you would hope that it might be more likely to find even small amounts of gold than in states not known for gold mines.   (just my speculation, I'm not any expert :) )  but I would be happy finding anything of value, gold, silver, coins, relics, ect.

There are a lot of quartz type rocks to be found here and I read where sometimes gold can be found with quartz.

Any opinion on what this model might be okay at finding - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bounty-Hunter-Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector-with-Ground-Trac/9854893

Edited by GKL

Good Starter detector.  At 6.8Khz it will not be so hot on gold but a coin finder for sure.  My Bounty hunter LS can find the 14K backing of a ear ring down to 7 inches.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, homefire said:

Good Starter detector.  At 6.8Khz it will not be so hot on gold but a coin finder for sure.  My Bounty hunter LS can find the 14K backing of a ear ring down to 7 inches.

Is this one a better freq for gold, in the question/answer section people said it can detect gold - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bounty-Hunter-Gold-Digger-Metal-Detector/14526541

That one uses the same 6.7Khz.   Yes they will detect gold but not the smaller stuff.   The higher the Freq the better on smaller gold.

• Like 1

You are located on the ESE edge of the eastern states gold belts.. If gold is your main interest I would suggest your $$s would be much better spent on water recovery equipment ( sluice, bedrock-scraping shovel, pan(s), snipe tubes, crevacing tools etc ) than on a detector.. The Au in your area is extremely fine; a detector won't even hit on it, not even if gathered into a pile..

Again, if gold is your main objective you're certainly in a good starting location.. There is gold where you are located, and the further N you go up until around I-40 the better.. A detector just isn't the proper tool for the job is all (with the possible exception of a Falcon MD 20 as a supplimental -- at 300 Khz it will hit upon the tiniest gold..)

You're also in a decent starting point for relics.. If that's what you're after though, a low-end detector will not do the job..

This leaves coin shooting as the only possible satisfaction for / from a low end detector.. If either of the other two objectives is what you're wanting, trying to use a low end detector to do the job will leave you discouraged, sorry.. Merely trying to save you from frustration if other than coin shooting is what you seek..

Swamp

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

You are located on the ESE edge of the eastern states gold belts.. If gold is your main interest I would suggest your $$s would be much better spent on water recovery equipment ( sluice, bedrock-scraping shovel, pan(s), snipe tubes, crevacing tools etc ) than on a detector.. The Au in your area is extremely fine; a detector won't even hit on it, not even if gathered into a pile..

Again, if gold is your main objective you're certainly in a good starting location.. There is gold where you are located, and the further N you go up until around I-40 the better.. A detector just isn't the proper tool for the job is all (with the possible exception of a Falcon MD 20 as a supplimental -- at 300 Khz it will hit upon the tiniest gold..)

You're also in a decent starting point for relics.. If that's what you're after though, a low-end detector will not do the job..

This leaves coin shooting as the only possible satisfaction for / from a low end detector.. If either of the other two objectives is what you're wanting, trying to use a low end detector to do the job will leave you discouraged, sorry.. Merely trying to save you from frustration if other than coin shooting is what you seek..

Swamp

Thanks, I'll have to think about the water recovery option. 

As far as coins, I don't know if that would be worth the time unless there might be a chance of finding some really old valuable coins, perhaps even from the 1700's or 1800's, but simply finding an occasional (modern day) nickle, quarter or dime does not seem like it would be worth the time, unless I'm just not yet aware that some people can do well at it.

Edited by GKL

29 minutes ago, GKL said:

Thanks, I'll have to think about the water recovery option. 

As far as coins, I don't know if that would be worth the time unless there might be a chance of finding some really old valuable coins, perhaps even from the 1700's or 1800's...

That brings me out of my depth as far as "in head" knowledge goes.. Should be easy enough to find out though.. It'll require historical research: Revolutionary War, Civil War, encampment locations, battle locations, towns and cities of the era(s), fords, westward migration routes etc., and all of that info is now easily accessable online..

Also I'm sure a quick search of YouTube will turn up vid hunts of older homes and other locations around your home area.. Based on those you should be able to determine if it's worthwhile from a coinage-only perspective.. Include relics and you add an entirely different dimension as well..

Hope you enjoy the hunt for the hunt..

Swamp

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

That brings me out of my depth as far as "in head" knowledge goes.. Should be easy enough to find out though.. It'll require historical research: Revolutionary War, Civil War, encampment locations, battle locations, towns and cities of the era(s), fords, westward migration routes etc., and all of that info is now easily accessable online..

Also I'm sure a quick search of YouTube will turn up vid hunts of older homes and other locations around your home area.. Based on those you should be able to determine if it's worthwhile from a coinage-only perspective.. Include relics and you add an entirely different dimension as well..

Hope you enjoy the hunt for the hunt..

Swamp

Thanks, interesting info to consider, the small semi-rural town we live in (Winnsboro) started as a settlement in the 1770's so there should be a fair potential to find an occasional old coin or relic, now I just have to decide if it is enough of a potential to make it worthwhile getting a detector.

• Like 2

I agree with Al that you're much better off trying to recover any raw gold in your area with shovel, pans, sluices,etc. in streams, and unfortunately don't expect to make a lot of money doing so, as Al mentioned most of the gold you're likely to find will be very small particules, but on the good side these small pieces will add up over time, and if you can barely see the piece of gold it is worth money, albeit maybe only a few cents, but if you find and hit a good spot you could find $20 to $50 (or more) worth of these small pieces in a few hours, but be aware that this will not happen that often unless you get access to areas that hasn't been cleaned out by others!

That being said there's is a learning curve to panning, sluicing, and most importantly know how to find locations that may have gold, not to mention knowing that it is indeed gold you're finding, I know of many newbies that found many 1 ounce vials of "gold" that unfortunately wasn't gold, but instead one of many other minerals that resembles gold.

As far as the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 goes it is a good starter detector to see if you enjoy detecting and it will find metal items, even a gold nugget if it's of suffencient size and not more than 6" deep or less, it's not what I would consider a "kid's detector" that a parent would buy for their kid to give him or her something to do other than sitting in front of a computer or video game, but first and foremost you must enjoy detecting or you will be wasting your money because you may very well even before learning how to operate the detector properly get discouraged after your first few trips of digging 50,100, 200 or possibly even more pieces of trash metal before you find your first find of some real value even if it is modern coinage, and that fact will not change, you will always dig many many pieces of trash for every find of some value. 

I don't want to discourage you before you even start detecting or prospecting for gold, I just want you to approach it with your eyes wide open and knowing what to expect!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I agree with Al that you're much better off trying to recover any raw gold in your area with shovel, pans, sluices,etc. in streams, and unfortunately don't expect to make a lot of money doing so, as Al mentioned most of the gold you're likely to find will be very small particules, but on the good side these small pieces will add up over time, and if you can barely see the piece of gold it is worth money, albeit maybe only a few cents, but if you find and hit a good spot you could find $20 to $50 (or more) worth of these small pieces in a few hours, but be aware that this will not happen that often unless you get access to areas that hasn't been cleaned out by others!

That being said there's is a learning curve to panning, sluicing, and most importantly know how to find locations that may have gold, not to mention knowing that it is indeed gold you're finding, I know of many newbies that found many 1 ounce vials of "gold" that unfortunately wasn't gold, but instead one of many other minerals that resembles gold.

As far as the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 goes it is a good starter detector to see if you enjoy detecting and it will find metal items, even a gold nugget if it's of suffencient size and not more than 6" deep or less, it's not what I would consider a "kid's detector" that a parent would buy for their kid to give him or her something to do other than sitting in front of a computer or video game, but first and foremost you must enjoy detecting or you will be wasting your money because you may very well even before learning how to operate the detector properly get discouraged after your first few trips of digging 50,100, 200 or possibly even more pieces of trash metal before you find your first find of some real value even if it is modern coinage, and that fact will not change, you will always dig many many pieces of trash for every find of some value. 

I don't want to discourage you before you even start detecting or prospecting for gold, I just want you to approach it with your eyes wide open and knowing what to expect!

Thanks, and I can definitely appreciate what you are saying, it's not something that I would depend on to "get rich" (even though I'm sure that even the most casual of hobbyists have a hope of making that rare find of real value in the back of their mind :)) but it would be more of a hobby rather than something to be counted on to make any regular income.

I would definitely try to keep my expectations realistic, even though there is nothing wrong with hoping for a big find I would look at any big find as a plus and not something to definitely expect.  Having said all that I'll still be in the "deciding mode" for the time being as to whether and/or when to get a detector.  Either way I'll still look for interesting finds visually as a novice "rockhound" even though it would be nice to still get a detector to add to my "stuff" finding ability.

I recently ordered an Estwing S3-22P 22oz rock pick, a little on the pricey side, but a basic tool that I read is a big help in rock type hobbies and well worth getting according to many reviews I read.

I would definitely start off with the lower priced detector just to see if you will enjoy it. Just like AU suggested. My cousin found a nugget with his Bounty hunter years ago. It was just a little smaller than a dime but it was only about 3 inches deep. Try out the cheaper one then progress from there. It's more fun than anything. Just never know what your going to find.

Dan

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

I would definitely start off with the lower priced detector just to see if you will enjoy it. Just like AU suggested. My cousin found a nugget with his Bounty hunter years ago. It was just a little smaller than a dime but it was only about 3 inches deep. Try out the cheaper one then progress from there. It's more fun than anything. Just never know what your going to find.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I'm still deciding whether to get one sooner or wait a while, but you made a good point about starting off with a lower priced model, hey if I found a few nuggets it could pay for a better model :)

19 hours ago, GKL said:

Thanks, interesting info to consider, the small semi-rural town we live in (Winnsboro) started as a settlement in the 1770's so there should be a fair potential to find an occasional old coin or relic, now I just have to decide if it is enough of a potential to make it worthwhile getting a detector.

1770 is a nice date to be starting out from one's own back yard.. :)

Here's a link to one of my favorite early dates American coins finds.. I think it might pique your interest:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDC3SUK3axM 

The coins as seen in the Start pix are post cleaning, incidentally.. And the person who made this find is primarily a relic hunter, making this the best "accidental" coins find I've ever seen..

Swamp

• Like 1

On 7/20/2016 at 2:49 AM, fishing8046 said:

Some of the best fun of detecting is doing the research to find where to go. The history is a wealth of knowledge in its self

good point, there is definitely a lot of history here.

On 7/20/2016 at 1:19 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

1770 is a nice date to be starting out from one's own back yard.. :)

Here's a link to one of my favorite early dates American coins finds.. I think it might pique your interest:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDC3SUK3axM 

The coins as seen in the Start pix are post cleaning, incidentally.. And the person who made this find is primarily a relic hunter, making this the best "accidental" coins find I've ever seen..

Swamp

neat, that was quite a haul in coins, I guess most people expect on only find an occasional coin or two.

it would be neat to find stuff in my local area I don't remember seeing anyone else in the area using a metal detector, not that anyone might not have.

Okay, I went ahead and ordered the "Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector" it had high customer reviews on Amazon (as well as on Walmart and other sites)

https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-Tracker-Metal-Detector/dp/B00005A3L1/

......now it obviously is not going to perform as well as the high end models costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars, but for what it is it got very good reviews overall.

This seems like a good choice for a beginner on a tight budget, I still had some Christmas money I got that I had set aside till I figured what I wanted to use it for, so it is like a time delayed Christmas gift :)

I figured since the town we live in goes back to the 1770's there should be a fair chance of finding some old coins and relics, and who knows, perhaps a surprise bit of gold once in a while, you don't know unless you try !

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

have you considered a used detector of higher quality?

I had looked at some used ones, but with my budget of wanting to stay under $100 it didn't seem like I was going to find one of any significant higher quality at that low a price.

The one I ordered was only about $87.00

5 hours ago, GKL said:

I figured since the town we live in goes back to the 1770's there should be a fair chance of finding some old coins and relics...

Time to delve into the history of your home area.. While your local library may have information not copied to be available online, even better sources will be historical societies and multi-generation families who have kept a running history since they first settled locally..

What you would like to find are locations of early trading posts, anywhere a store was known to have been, overnight lodging -- places people would have congregated.. Where was the first post office located..? Taverns..? Churches..? Swimming holes..? Etc., etc..

In a rural / semi-rural location as you describe there are most likely many public areas you can detect without getting any hassle.. However, you also seek to acquire permissions.. Given your low-end detector won't have nearly the depth capability as more attuned models, being able to receive permission to detect crop fields pre and/or post planting/harvesting and while fallow that were known gathering points in the past is a great way to overcome this shortcoming -- since when the farmer plows he'll bring objects that are beyond your detecting depth nearer the surface for you..

Seek out the older homes.. Offer to detect the property for free on the assumption you'll find items of interest earlier generations 'lost'.. Strike modifiable deals with them -- something like you get to keep all the change you find while they get everything else, but if you happen upon something valuable other than a keepsake you both share evenly in the profit.. Always fill your dig holes.. There are many vids on YT showing minimally invasive digging techniques..

The most important piece of info I can share with you is this: Don't get discouraged.. Detecting is definitely not an instant gratification endeavour..

Have fun..!

Swamp

• Like 5