Nugget Shooter Forums

Snake Protection

Judd

What are your thoughts on Snake Protection Gaiters, Leggings, or Snake Proof Chaps?    I have used several different types over the years.   I have no doubt that they work but with all the gear and weight i carry while detecting, it is getting very difficult for these old bones to get up off the ground once I get down and start digging.    As I get older I have found I'm more aware of my surroundings and I'm less likely to take chances where I could hurt myself.   I  find that there are some areas and places I just avoid.    By using external speakers not only can I hear things around me but I tend to scare critters away.  Coils are perfect for making noise on the ground and against rocks and brush as you slowly search.   If needed, coils are also perfect for fend off snakes.   I generally leave the snakes I encounter alone.  They go their way and I go mine.  I guess the bottom line is.... it's like carrying a gun,  "It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it".

I dont wear any kind of snake protection-call it crazy if you want-But if I think snake-I see snake-so I dont worry about them :arrowheadsmiley: and like you said I let them get out of the way when I do see them :Just_Cuz_06: -It also helps to know their habits-during the hot summer days they like to kick back in the shade-their most active in the morning and at Night during the summer months-during the winter months no worries at all :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

In N. California, a.k.a Rattlesnake country, I wear 17" snake boots which are really light and comfortable by Irish Setter and I've worn lower leg chaps. I like the boots better, less gear to deal with. 

Note, I was with a buddy digging a target,  set the detector down to dig the target, got back up and there was a rattle snake around the coil.

It took off when we got up but chaps would not have done us any good if he was in a bad mood.

Lucky us

I wear snake gators....even in the winter.

Why? Keeps the dang cats claw and other poky things out of my chins.

In the summer they are hot, but not heavy.

Have had some close calls with rattlers...but no strikes. I like the peace of mind they give.

They cant strike as fast as I can jump and scream like a girl when they buzz me :ya:

Im allergic to rattlers. :)

Tom H.

• Like 2

Never realized that when someone says they're gonna kick you in the chins they're actually talking about some kind of fancy-schmancy karate foot work.. Learn something new every day, I tell ya.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

I've got something like these from Cabelas when my son was detecting and a rattler snapped at his coil:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/men-s-hunting-clothing/men-s-specialty-clothing/men-s-snake-protection-clothing|/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104590080/i/103951980/foreverlast-men-s-pro-half-leg-guards/1913632.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FMens-Snake-Protection-Clothing%2F103951980.uts

I wore them the following week, and walking through the desert at 3am, I think I kicked one, because I heard him rattle and he moved away from me as quickly as I moved away from him.  I did not hear him snap at me, but it was dark and I did not see him until after he rattled and at that point we were moving away from each other.  I've worn them a lot since, but never seen another snake with the leggings on.  The half leggings are about as light as you'll get, but you'll need an all leather boot underneath it to protect your feet.  They are extremely good for keeping needles out of your legs.

Half the time when I see the snakes, it's too chilly for them to be moving and they're coiled up in a bush.  I wonder how many of them I've walked by but never seen.

• Like 2

I wear them year round, just got used to them on so its part of my gear I put on and use every time I go out.. For me its primarily for protection from snakes, weeds and things that can hurt you below the knees. It's a peace of mind....my redwings are heavy, but solid. With my redwings  snake guards, and knee pads....I feel like I am armored enough to hunt.... If your in snake country.....and not wearing guards..your taking a risk. A friend of mine was bitten, cost him thousands for anti-venom.

• Like 1

Hate rattlers and always carry for that reason. Anti-venon has gotten insanely expensive BUT the other option of a dirtnap is no good either. Amazing Nat. Geo. show had the complete story on venom collecting, processing and startling new info as to exactly where you were and kill that snake and bring it in to the doc. They proved in ARIZONA specifically the difference in venom in rattlers can be different in a few miles now as they also adapt to changing climates. What helped 20 miles away may be useless , amazing and scary. Be careful out there-John

• Like 1

snakes don't hear like humans, they feel vibrations...so it won't do any good to walk around yelling "hey, snake, hey snake" like it does for bears...haha

Watching where you walk is only part of the equation- watch where your hands are going, watch the high shelves and and ledges...never step over a log or rock without looking first.  Most rattlesnakes and especially small ones will try to stay quiet and hidden....they are very hard to see when they are brand new...vigilance is the best protection!

fred 

• Like 2

I wear snake chaps mainly because I enjoy more night hunting during these months.  But I will still wear them any other time just as brush/cactus guards.  That said, snakes will still bite the foot and ankle.  If you truly want to project yourself from snakes, you will need to get a leather, ankle high (at least) shoe/boot to go with the chaps.   If a cactus will go through it easily, so will a fang.  Some people don't like leather.  They say it's too hot but I don't notice.  Never been struck, but the guy hiking in back of me was.  (They usually get the second guy)  Luckily he had leather boots.  Just scared the bejesus out of him. 

• Like 2

Now that I've had my little bit of fun at TomH's expense re his spelling error (it was a j/k Tom, as you know -- was just too good to pass up is all,) I too wear snake guards full time when in western locations -- the tri-folds with sewn-in plastic that also cover top-of-foot and have velcro fasteners for calf girth adjustability.. As relichunter2016 noted, they along with knee pads and good footwear = peace of mind..

While they are light, they don't allow for air flow, so you don't notice your lower jeans legs are soaked in sweat until the guards are removed.. Small price to pay for potential life-saving safety though..

The eastern gold fields are a bit of a different story.. I'm usually in water, so for the relatively short time I may be on land I'm more concerned about ticks than I am rattlers.. If I was in a location where land-based (small) nugget finds are possible, and they do exist here in the east BION, I would be wearing guards.. 

FL is a totally different story.. Very inhospitable off the beaten path; loaded with snakes and other "Beware of's".. The vast majority of my detecting here in FL is beach, supplimented with well-trodden public spaces.. Consequently no snake guards.. Footwear is a different story though.. Plenty of nasties lurking just out of sight waiting to send you off for a tetanus shot.. I don't even consider getting into non-tended inland public or private property down here; entirely too sketchy.. Even tended but rarely used by humans property isn't all that attractive to me.. There needs to be a high probability for historical discovery to even get me interested, and in which case I would wear snake guards, because I have several friends with multi-acres that they keep mowed but don't really use and every one of them has lost at least two dogs to snake bites on their property.. It takes more than the promise of a possible mercury dime find to get me 'out in the meadows' down here..

Swamp

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 11:45 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

FL is a totally different story.. Very inhospitable off the beaten path; loaded with snakes and other "Beware of's"..

I was born & raised in Florida for the first 16 out of 17 years of my life and I can certainly agree with exactly what you are saying! There's nasties out there in the fields, woods and swamps that you definitely do not want to encounter unless you are both adequately geared and very knowledgeable about the specific area wildlife and their habits. Even then, it's risky to venture out alone into isolated fields and meadows. I clearly remember seeing 6' diamond back rattlers in our pasture and thrown on the mower deck during hay cutting season, along with huge water moccasins from the marsh and sometimes around the barn. Not to mention all the alligators in and around the swamps and marshy areas. Coral snakes and ground rattlers... Not to mention the spiders! *shivers*

Beaches and parks are a whole lot safer and more productive on a regular basis for general detecting down there. At one time, St Augustine would have been a relic hunter's dream! Personally, I really envy the guys who dive the reefs and shipwrecks with waterproof detectors, using historical documents, sonar and whatnot to locate sunken treasure. Man... what a life! :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

I was born & raised in Florida for the first 16 out of 17 years of my life and I can certainly agree with exactly what you are saying! There's nasties out there in the fields, woods and swamps that you definitely do not want to encounter unless you are both adequately geared and very knowledgeable about the specific area wildlife and their habits. Even then, it's risky to venture out alone into isolated fields and meadows. I clearly remember seeing 6' diamond back rattlers in our pasture and thrown on the mower deck during hay cutting season, along with huge water moccasins from the marsh and sometimes around the barn. Not to mention all the alligators in and around the swamps and marshy areas. Coral snakes and ground rattlers... Not to mention the spiders! *shivers*

Beaches and parks are a whole lot safer and more productive on a regular basis for general detecting down there. At one time, St Augustine would have been a relic hunter's dream! Personally, I really envy the guys who dive the reefs and shipwrecks with waterproof detectors, using historical documents, sonar and whatnot to locate sunken treasure. Man... what a life! :D

snakes, treasure and aligators sign me up!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chris1987 said:

snakes, treasure and aligators sign me up!

hahaha! :ROFL:

Actually, hunting the shipwreck treasures has a whole 'nother bunch of hazards to avoid! Schools of Baracuda can be intimidating, if not potentially dangerous. Jellyfish, rays, Mora eels and sharks are out there; some are more aggressive and dangerous/deadly than others.

Come to think of it, treasure / gold / relic / wild animal hunting all involve some risks, don't they? So the more you learn about what types of dangers to expect in the area you plan to hunt and having the right protective gear to minimize your risk, the better! Ya gotta want it! :D  ...and ya gotta want it bad enough to take time to learn and do some research, first.

I'm a transplant in a very hostile desert environment here in AZ. I wouldn't even stray far from the last outing campsite because I had little clue what to expect or what protective gear I would need. I joined this forum and went to that outing to learn - and learn, I did! (THANKS GUYS!!!) <3 you all.

LE

• Like 1