Nugget Shooter Forums

Selling Meteorites

Hi I am trying to find info on how the market is for selling meteorites and I have some questions about it if people wouldn't mind helping as I'm still relatively new to this.

Is there a big market out there or Is it possibly growing? or does it only consist of the collectors on such sites as eBay and or some museums and scientists?

Do the rarer meteorites sell but the ordinary chondrites may sit on a shelf for a decade?

Finally can anyone post any good links to meteorite selling information and popular meteorite selling websites to help with my research please?

They all sell but the rarest meteorites sell for the most money. Just finished a good book that talks about this "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" You can get it on Amazon.

Here are a few reputable sites for buying meteorites:

http://www.mrmeteorite.com/

http://www.aerolite.org/

http://www.meteoriteguy.com/

Not a meteorite collector, but here's a link to BLM policy for collection on public lands, whether or not the memo is legal is a different thread:

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/regulations/Instruction_Memos_and_Bulletins/national_instruction/2012/IM_2012-182.html

Just letting you know the rules on collecting on public lands.

Mikestang--Thanks.  Wish the Forum had a thanks button....

That it did.  I missed that little detail.  I didn't get where I am today by attention to detail, only pure luck.

Edited by chrisski

Does anyone have any info to hunt in other popular meteorite hunting countries which is not the states? U.S.A is boring with how overkill it is, what other countries are people going too which are producing meteorites? I want an adventure

Edited by chris1987

Just wondering what you mean about the states being boring and overkill? Do you mean something about restrictions or do you suggest too many people are hunting meteorites? Adventure you seek? need some more info there too. One last thing, have you found many meteorites already?:brows:

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

hey, pack your bags and head to Africa or Mexico...take lots of cash and expensive equipment...when you get done you will have had plenty of adventure...if you are lucky you will return to tell us about it...

fred

Big risks=big rewards, as I have found out ?

My last expedition only required a $2.99 rare earth magnet...if you enjoy traveling and seeing the world, then the money spent is well worth it. This world is no more dangerous than the states. If you run into corrupt police, be sure to have a few green ones on you, and if you're dealing with bandits, just give them what they want...you'll return ?

6 hours ago, fredmason said:

hey, pack your bags and head to Africa or Mexico...take lots of cash and expensive equipment...when you get done you will have had plenty of adventure...if you are lucky you will return to tell us about it...

fred

It's that what happened to you or have you never left the states?

I spent a few weeks in San Pedro Sula once after 6 months in the bay islands and had a blast.

oh incase you don't know San Pedro is the murder capital of the world and incase you haven't realized I'm still here lol

Chris, 

I think it was answered but for the most part, the more rare the more someone will pay. It also comes to amount on hand, that old "supply and demand" stuff.  Most ordinary chondrites, with large amounts on hand sell from anywhere .25 to .35 cents to .50-.75 cents.  But then again, even with large amounts, if it's witnessed and destructive, like Chelyabinsk, everyone wants one, and that can drive up the price too.  Collectors usually have to deal in large lots, and wheel and deal to make any kind of profits, and I think, but am not too certain, its a pretty tight business. I could be wrong, so take it for what it's worth but I keep what I find. It's hard enough to find them and then to sell them, well maybe one day...

Jason