Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris1987

suspect meteorite

Mike,

I'm not messing with anybody and I'm NOT trying to get in an argument with you or question your expertise.  I didn't say it was or was not a meteorite because I wanted to make the point above which I think was very well made.  I wasn't trying to "fool people" I was pretty clear about my intention, just getting an opinion to see if anybody would dare say that it actually is a meteorite.  If I said it was a meteorite that had been classified it would defeat the whole point.  If I had said it was a meteorite initially what would you have said?  Would that have changed your opinion?  It seems that you still doubt that it is a real meteorite.  I sure wouldn't expect you to make the conclusion it is a meteorite from one photo either but you could ask a few questions that might narrow it down.  You ask if it has been classified and if I have more photos.  Why don't you ask the other people posting photos for more or better photos?  That's my whole point.  It can be extremely difficult to positively say whether a particular stone is or isn't a meteorite from one low resolution photo on the internet.  You looked at my photo and only said, "Nope, sorry." Not, "Can you post a better photo?" or "Is it attracted to a magnet?" or "What color streak does it make?"  or "What sort of conditions was it found in?"  Just, "Nope sorry."  I wonder how many actual meteorites have been tossed out because of an erroneous but definitive statement like, "Nope,sorry."  What if somebody posted a photo of an achondrite?  I've looked at hundreds of photos of achondrites and many of them are almost indistinguishable from Earth rocks.  It is no surprise that there are no lunars from the Americas if people are so quick to toss anything that doesn't look like a "typical" meteorite.

I'm just trying to bring some more thoughtfulness and friendliness into these possible meteorite photo posts.  I'm sorry if you feel like you have been fooled, that was not my intention.  I hoped you and others would give that stone some serious consideration.  I think I've been pretty clear about that.  To be honest that is the main reason I've bothered to enter this thread.  It's just that I've seen so many photos of suspect meteorites get dismissed with no reason or follow up and sometimes people are even insulted and basically run off.  It really reflects poorly on the whole field.  I'm not the only one who feels like many people in this hobby are not very welcoming to new enthusiasts.  What I find especially disturbing is when people are so quick to accuse somebody they have never met of being dishonest and/or ignorant.  The name calling and pissing matches going on here and elsewhere are really a bummer. 

When I first started hunting meteorites I used to come to this forum to learn from "experts" and I feel like I learned a lot from people who truly wanted to help others.  I really don't see that happening much anymore and I think that is a shame.  People used to be encouraging to newcomers even if they posted a photo of a piece of limestone that they were sure was a meteorite they saw fall over the hill or some other silly story.  I am very grateful for the help and advice I received from many people some of whom aren't on this forum anymore.  I'd like to see that vibe return here.

I think the show Meteorite Men has had a positive and not so positive effect on the whole meteorite world. For one they created some entertainment and awareness, but on the other hand the got every tom, dick, and harry off the couch and thinking they were going  get rich easy! Today universities get flooded with meteorwrongs and so many have stopped taking them. Can't blame them put yourself in their shoes, after hundreds of meteorwrongs you might pull the plug to and same thing goes for some guys here that really know their stuff.

So you have to ask yourself why do you want someone else's validation on your rock? Do you want to make money, or do you just love them and want to share? Either way i think some more homework could be done instead of posting a picture and expect others to tell you what you should be learning on your own. I know your frustration well, i am currently trying to gather my own evidence on what i really suspect is a meteorite. I have only been hunting meteorites for 3 years, but i understood early on your own wife and family might not think you have a meteorite, and i don't care i love what i am doing and no big deal, they are all space rocks! :brows:

I know what a meteorite is i have 3.5 kg that i found but its my other 0.5 that im not sure about. Hence the topic.

Im here for advice from people with real experience to help identify and share information maybe even join me to hunt my strewn field.

I want to learn as much as possible and i thought this would be a great place for that but so far all its been is nuggetshootpeopledown.com

Its the simple dismiss with no explanation and negativity from people who think there right about everything which doesnt help anyone.

Apparently most of us love meteorites and are passionate about the subject so lets try to play nice so we can all learn and see some cool rocks.

Heres a couple of my well weatherd rights:WP_20160704_16_06_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160708_09_47_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20160723_18_54_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20160704_17_25_52_Pro.jpg

13 hours ago, Redbeard said:

It seems that you still doubt that it is a real meteorite.

If all you are going to provide is the one picture, then yes I still doubt it is a real meteorite based on the evidence presented, as that is all I have as a basis to form my opinion.

14 hours ago, munroney said:

Coming from someone who clearly has a lot of experience and knowledge about meteorites and meteorwrongs, i think you could have dug a little deeper for more evidence to back your opinion. If you are the expert you portray yourself to be, then there should be no "fooling" you.

13 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Why don't you ask the other people posting photos for more or better photos?  That's my whole point.  It can be extremely difficult to positively say whether a particular stone is or isn't a meteorite from one low resolution photo on the internet.  You looked at my photo and only said, "Nope, sorry." Not, "Can you post a better photo?" or "Is it attracted to a magnet?" or "What color streak does it make?"  or "What sort of conditions was it found in?"  Just, "Nope sorry."

I'm not an expert, I don't "portray" myself as anything.  It's you all that keep labeling me.  And everyone can be "fooled", only an ignorant person would think otherwise.

I don't have time to dig deeper, nor do I really care honestly.  If people want the welcome wagon to the world of meteorites, well that's not my job.  The burden of proof is on the person looking for info, let them share all their photos and stories and details, I sure as hell ain't doing any work on my end, my life is busy enough.  If someone isn't going to take the time to document the work they did and share that with us and they simply post a photo as ask if it's a meteorite, I'll answer in kind and offer my NOVICE opinion on what I see and that's it.  If people throw their rocks away just because one crazy guy on the internet said "no" that seems like a bad idea on their part.  I am very helpful in the field, much more so than online.  In person you can show things and point stuff out and whatnot.  And I never tell people to throw their wrongs away, even the ones that are for sure wrong.  I tell people to put them in the garden or a box or something, because you never know (even though often you do know) and it's better to have them sitting around somewhere than to be thrown away.

The scientific method munroney quoted back to me that I already posted is for the person looking for more info to follow, not the person trying to help them.

We all use these forums for different reasons, and mine is not to try to help teach every single person everything I know about space rocks.  I like seeing pictures of finds and reading the stories, and if someone posts a picture I like offering my opinion, but I do not like or want to have to explain myself every single time I write something, especially when someone posts a picture with no explanation and I post a similar response.  So listen to me or ignore me, but please don't tell me what to do or how to respond.  Thank you.

I'll just stop posting in the "is this a meteorite" type of posts, not worth all this drama.  Sorry to have taken up so much of y'alls time.

If you only focus on the exceptions then you will miss the point.  There are always exceptions, to everything.  Of the 53,696 valid meteorite names in the MetBul how many are from the bottom of the ocean?

And do you know anything surrounding the circumstances of those finds?  Probably not.

On August 1, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Mikestang said:

If you only focus on the exceptions then you will miss the point.  There are always exceptions, to everything.  Of the 53,696 valid meteorite names in the MetBul how many are from the bottom of the ocean?

And do you know anything surrounding the circumstances of those finds?  Probably not.

I don't really have to know the surrounding circumstances to prove my point...and that point being that meteorites HAVE been found in the ocean. There may not have been many, probably because it's not exactly easy to search the sea floor, but it HAS been done (unlike what you stated before about how it's never been done)...you also stated that a chondrite wouldn't last a month, and although I have no clue how long those meteorites sat on the ocean floor, but I'm going to guess it didn't fall a month prior. ?

If you don't focus on those exceptions, then you will be stuck in the same little box (or strew field) that the rest of the world is in. I love exceptions because it gives me hope for finding something rare and valuable to science. It's not so much about the money...it's about putting my name on the board and maybe even changing the books a little. Wouldn't that be fun ?

13 hours ago, munroney said:

I don't really have to know the surrounding circumstances

and although I have no clue how long those meteorites sat on the ocean floor

*rolleyes*

Please, for the last time, leave me alone.  You're right and I'm wrong, there does that make you happy?

8 hours ago, Mikestang said:

*rolleyes*

Please, for the last time, leave me alone.  You're right and I'm wrong, there does that make you happy?

Yes, you don't know how happy it makes me ??

actually no...it still makes me sick to see how many people like your posts regardless of how ignorant or rude they are. I brought something to the table that I happened to randomly find. I didn't search for evidence to prove you wrong..I just happened to come across it whilst researching and thought I would show you. I hope you learned something from me because I'm happy to say I've learned a thing or 2 from you, I think 

39 minutes ago, fredmason said:

this horse has been beat to pulp...let it go!

fred

Which horse are you talking about? Me or Mike? Because I was beat down from my initial thread. I never thought that inquiring about shock veins would lead to so much grief. Seems to me that I was labeled as an asshole just because I wanted to keep the location a secret. My hunt was not "lucky"...it was well planned and well thought out..which in the end resulted in a decent haul..I came to this site for a few questions about my "definite" meteorites and in return was doubted, bashed, and bullied. Im the one that was beat to a pulp. I'm the one that has been labeled an asshole for whatever reason. What did I even do? Retaliate? I guess I did do that, but I'm sure not the one to instigate. If Mike wants to beat people to a pulp, expect the same in return! You get what you give in this world..also, like I said, my intentions were to maybe teach someone a thing or 2..maybe my post could help Mike, or someone else in the future for when they are combing the beaches and come across a potential right. It's possible. Any things possible

Munroney; the thread and all its contents have been chewed, swallowed and...you know...out.

this is my last comment in this thread; but I suspect you live to have the last word, so have at it...

good luck with all your hunts and adventures

fred

You taught me nothing, I wouldn't want to accidentally give you any sense of satisfaction.  Good day.

On August 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Mikestang said:

You taught me nothing, I wouldn't want to accidentally give you any sense of satisfaction.  Good day.

Hm, maybe this will teach you something since you seem to be confident that irons last longer in water and for no longer than a month ?

image.png

On 8/6/2016 at 5:28 PM, munroney said:

more bs

Do you not understand what LEAVE ME ALONE means?

Posting a picture with no citation or reference teaches me nothing except your failure to learn the basic processes by which science operates.  The statement your posted says absolutely nothing of substance, it is only further proof of your failing.

Do not post another message to me, please.

This topic has run it course and then some, it has been locked