Nugget Shooter Forums

Noobie Night Hunt

LukeJ

So I went out last night for Round 2 with the SDC that I picked up a few weeks ago.   :4chsmu1:

Since I'm still not very familiar with the aspects ( besides the darkness ) of night hunting and was rolling solo, I decided to again return to a familiar location.

I've been to this spot many times and besides gold found there in the past, I like it since there's no cactus to bump into.  

I've had several other detectors over certain spots, both VLF and PI.  The SDC still found the bits that I expected it would.

I hunted for three hours and decided to call it a night when the coyotes started yelling at me again.   :200:

I've got a running skunk streak that still continues, but I'm thinking that's going to change here soon...   :idunno:

Here's the finds from last night...    and a couple pics of a nugget I found in the same area a few months back, which I fondly call, #5.  (1.06g)

I am liking the SDC.  I'm sure my appreciation for it will increase once I find some gold with it.  :D

Luke

20160707_203852.jpg

20160329_095501.jpg

20160314_093747.jpg

Edited by LukeJ
to make 'pics' plural
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

...I am liking the SDC.  I'm sure my appreciation for it will increase once I find some gold with it.  :D

Luke

20160707_203852.jpg

Mannn, visually speaking everything's right except for them not being gold..

I have a feeling once you've gotten over top of a few nuggies you'll begin recognizing when the machine's singing to you in the key of Au.. :yesss:

Swamp

• Like 1

In the trash picture, just above and left of the nail, is a piece of aluminum. 

It was loud and after I recovered it, I instantly recognized it as a lathe chip.

Looks just like the kind of thing that would become dislodged from the boot of a fellow machinist.

:arrowheadsmiley:

• Like 1

Luke

You'll find a good area soon.

Use the SDC under those little bushes.  The coil will get into some pretty good places that hide gold.  It sounds like you have gotten most of the open gold.

If you are without bugs at night then you are in good shape.  Where I hunt there are a few ants out and no mosquitos.  I spray for them first.

I did see a gopher snake the other night which was the first time I've seen a snake there.  I'm not too surprised because there are lots of mice.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Luke not skunk streak but wisdom as the many will attack the few if hungry enough, especially in the summer when life gets hard on them prey wise. Kudos-John

• Like 1

Good job Luke ... That SDC is an awesome machine ... it will get you the gold if it is there. Only advice I can give is already given ... hunt the spots the average detectorist doesn't or won't because it is too much work. ... roll some of the larger rocks too. I sometimes amaze myself the number of nuggets found under a rock when the area is potholed from others in the same area. Good luck!

Mike F

• Like 2

nice job with the sdc...think you got it rung in pretty good looking at the lead shrapnel you found with it. I would agree with the rest, get it into and under those bushes. Just a while ago..I went to a spot I hit maybe 15 times but a few areas under and around some heavy poison oak bushes I stayed out off until I had no place to go but under it. So I went on my fours and swung and WAM !! A nice 3.6 gram nugget.

• Like 1

Glad you got out! 
Night hunting is kind of spooky :)
But it is a lot cooler.
Tom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LukeJ said:

In the trash picture, just above and left of the nail, is a piece of aluminum. 

It was loud and after I recovered it, I instantly recognized it as a lathe chip.

Looks just like the kind of thing that would become dislodged from the boot of a fellow machinist.

:arrowheadsmiley:

Ya know Luke, I have found several pieces like this in the past and I thought that they might be from bikes or ATV's that have sheared off of tyranny's or other alum. parts.  Your explanation is reasonable though when I think of when Tom comes over the house and after he leaves I find little particles of chrome and copper plating in the furniture.  I even found one out when we were detecting.  Sort of like Hansel and Gretel I think.

Old Tom     

• Like 1

Night hunting can get you out when most others have quit for the season. I also work night shift a lot so it comes easy for me. Another advantage is I don't miss any family time because I get home when everyone is waking up. There are rules I follow when I go out at night. Always have a second light, GPS is a must, never jump ridges, carry a gun. Pick a drainage and work it up and back then move to the next. Oh yea snake guards are a must.

AJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Ya know Luke, I have found several pieces like this in the past and I thought that they might be from bikes or ATV's that have sheared off of tyranny's or other alum. parts.  Your explanation is reasonable though when I think of when Tom comes over the house and after he leaves I find little particles of chrome and copper plating in the furniture.  I even found one out when we were detecting.  Sort of like Hansel and Gretel I think.

Old Tom     

I cant help it.....its all over the place over here! :2mo5pow:

Tom H. 

Thanks for the advice fellas....   :D

I like to try to get to the spot before sundown, so I can get a quick lay of the land and see if there's anyone else around.  The last two times I went out at night there wasn't any       other humans, just the critters.  I actually feel a bit safer knowing it's just me and Mother nature.  I think she's more predictable overall.  Never know what kind of person you might run into out there...   :nutty:

Mitchel,  Fortunately the bugs are minimal.  No mosquitoes, and mostly large ants.  I have a battery powered Coleman lamp I like to set up away from where I'm detecting.  It draws the bugs over there and the ants really appreciate the buffet.  Plus it gives me a beacon in the night if I start to get turned around.  Strangely, I've never seen snakes in this area, or even any signs of them.  I still watch where I put my hands and feet though.

Mike, It's easy to forget to stop and roll a rock or two.  I'll have to work on that.  Maybe my numbers will increase.   :thumbsupanim

Hey Old Tom,  I used to find those types of 'targets' in my carpet at home.  Usually with the bottom of my bare foot though...  :2mo5pow:

AJ,  Those are good rules.  That's the stuff I was interested in when I decided to post this topic.  I do need to get a smaller, lighter gun since I've started to leave it out of the backpack.  I did have my wrist rocket with me, just in case...   :4chsmu1:

When I got there last night, I took my gear up the hill to a spot where I'd cleared some brush before.  I turned on the lantern and hung my backpack in a tree to keep the ants out of it.  I was swinging over ground that I had detected before.  Mostly as a test to see what I left behind in the past.  I did find a few targets where the previous coils had been, but most came from the fringes.  The coyotes started their conversation while I was down in some bushes recovering a target.  After that, I decided to go back closer to the truck and found at least half of those targets in decaying schist in the middle of the road.  Some may say that detecting in a high traffic area is a waste of time, and maybe they're right since I didn't find any gold, but when you are extracting lead bits from the bedrock in a known gold area, that next target might be the nugget that the last guy walked over.  At least that's what I'm thinking...   Plus, at the time I was there, I didn't have to get out of anyone's way or endure the embarrassing stares.   :stupidrb:

All in all, it was a good test for the SDC and I'm much more familiar with it than before.  Looking forward to posting some pics of gold in the near future.

Thanks again guys !

Luke