Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite or really cool wrong?

Hi guys. First post here, but have been interested in rocks etc all my life really, so no stranger to meteorite information. I have not personally identified any that I have ever found as  a meteorite, though I really was only looking for interesting things to research. A good friend and neighbor found this one in their field recently.This is a farm field, so I cannot say how many times it has been plowed up and under, but alot. He was walking the field one day and it just caught his eye.

This was found in South Alabama. 

Anyway to the photo's. It does have flecks of nickel. It is not magnetic though and that is what is puzzling to me. It appears to have iron in it as well. Tiny redish spots.

Thoughts are welcome. I have researched minerals and geodes found around here too, BTW and cannot place it.

Oh and both halves together weigh 270 grams.

1st face.jpg

both 3.jpg

both long.jpg

both top.jpg

both.jpg

both2.jpg

close 2nd half.jpg

nickel specs.jpg

top half.jpg

Edited by Leeway

SO, how did it cut? Tough or like butter?  Looks like it took a good polish.

Performed a scratch or streak test?

I didn't actually do the cutting. My Son cut it a while back (few weeks) without me knowing anything about it. He did of course use my wet tile saw, which is probably why I didn't know about it then. ;)

He said it cut okay. Like a rock. Slowly. I can scratch it with a pocket knife. 

I did the streak test on a ceramic crucible and it didn't leave much of any mark.

In all my searching, the closest thing I have seen to the looks of the outside is a diogenite. Specifically the Molay. 

http://www.caillou-noir.com/Molay.htm

Unfortunately I cannot see the inside. :) 

Thanks, Guys.

I used a break to shear a sample off of one part. I plan on sending it off for analysis and will report back with the results. Either a retirement fund contributor or paper weight. ;)

The sample weighs 15 grams. That should be plenty.

I decided to shear it rather than slice this. That way it showed the natural breaking structure. I call the coloring in the beak to be sea foam green to OD green. 

You can make out shiny nickel specs throughout the break. I did test them with a multi meter and those larger ones have zero resistance, so it is some sort of metal and I am guessing nickel. I suppose we will find out. 

I don't think it sheared with a crystal like structure, but I don't usually shear any rocks that I have had in my collections. 

Anyway a few more images.

sample1.jpg

sample2.jpg

sample3.jpg

sample4.jpg

samplewhole.jpg

Thanks. I thought it looked like that on the shear too. Very similar appearance. I know it can contain other stuff as well like iron pyrite, mica etc. I am thinking this one contains nickel though. Iron pyrite is conductive, but also magnetically attracts. Mica isn't either of those.  This one looks different when polished than other specimens of quartzite I have seen. That may not mean much there. Anyway, it is certainly worth a few dollars to find out what it is. If it is an earth born stone, it certainly knows how to look like it isn't. :)

quartzite1.jpg

Edited by Leeway

Why do you think it's nickel?  It almost certainly isn't.  Please stop guessing and stating it like fact.  It's 100% not a meteorite and no meteorite lab will take the time to look at it.  Find a assay lab and they will break it down for you, or someone with an XRF gun.

I mentioned from the start that is was non magnetically attractive and that was the biggest issue I had with it. I just kept using nickel rather than calling the inclusion silver, platinum or something else. Apologies. I should have wrote shiny 100% electrically conductive inclusions.  Everything in the thread is speculation including your posts. That is exactly what I was after when I posted it. I wanted your opinions. I do thank you for them. They are all helpful.

It is on it's way to be chemically analyzed and I should hear something next week.

I will keep the thread updated with the results.

Thanks. :)

Here is a closer look at some of the shiny stuff. The exposed part is a little smaller than a pencil eraser. Maybe 4.5 mm across.

clump of shiney stuff.jpg

Edited by Leeway

Moderators, should move this thread to the rocks and mineral subforum.

My posts are not speculation, not in this instance.

Edited by Mikestang

I was not intending to step on your toes with that post. By no means. What I am looking for is honest discussion about what anyone might know or have seen. I thought that was what these forums were for. Do you think it is still interesting since it shows signs of crust, pitting, inclusions and regmaglypts? Classic meteorite identifiers at first blush. :)

Not crust, but oxidation.  Not regmaglypts, but vesicles.  Pitting is a common weathering byproduct.  All manners of terrestrial rocks have inclusions.  Classic meteorwrong with misinterpretations by a novice, not saying that in a bad way, just stating fact.  I am a blunt person.

It is interesting, but does not belong in this subforum.

Edited by Mikestang

Your not stepping on toes, however an expert just gave you the information you were seeking. So the discussion should have been over already. You just don`t seem to want to accept that this in definitely not a meteorite, and keep trying to convince yourself and everyone that it may be one.  Keep looking, sorry

7 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

I'm not an expert, adam.

Well, shoot Mike   I thought you had a certificate of meteorite completion :D   Your right though, I should have said :  If Mike tells me its not a meteorite, then I would just move on .....your sort of an authority on the subject ..

1 hour ago, adam said:

Your not stepping on toes, however an expert just gave you the information you were seeking. So the discussion should have been over already. You just don`t seem to want to accept that this in definitely not a meteorite, and keep trying to convince yourself and everyone that it may be one.  Keep looking, sorry

No, I am not convinced it is a meteorite. I suspected it was possible because of how it looks. I am not trying to convince anyone either. I just wanted discussion on why this sample looks like it does especially if it isn't one. We have now had that. Thanks and hopefully this thread will help someone out in the future.

Now the pits in this rock are one thing, but what I was calling regmaglypts are areas around the edges that looks like someone pushed a thumb into it if it were wet clay. There are about 4 places on here where my thumb fits perfectly into. The photo's as many as I posted do not show that very well. 

I mentioned that I have been interested in rocks and geology all my life. I have had several rock and mineral collections that I have given to young guys to get them started when they showed an interest. My Son is very interested too and is an avid gold hunter. He has found something on each of his trips, though sometimes it's kind hard to see. ;)

I have just never seen a rock like this one that has so many features about it even for a novice. That is why I sought you guys out. I know you are the experts. 

A discussion of why something is not a meteorite would be endless.

I am curious if you are certain on the conductivity test? It is pretty easy on a very small area to touch the leads together...just asking? Also did you test across the specimen and from one inclusion to another...

Mike, I look forward to meeting you some bright day...However, your authoritative manner has convinced many, if not all that you are an "expert"...so you will have to live with that perception which is of your making...

too late to be humble, meek and mild...haha

fred

Thanks, Guys. I do see what you are saying about discussing things that are not from space here. Pretty boring stuff for most. 

I did check from metal flake to other ones and had no reading. The matrix itself has no reading. Some of the metal is large enough to check for continuity across them and those are the ones I checked and they have continuity across themselves. 

I need to say as well that some of the images are misleading. It does look like the polished side has vesicles, but they are pits instead. Those are places that held tiny metallic flecks that were dislodged when they cut or polished the sample. The stone itself is not porous.

One source for an XRF gun that some may or may not think about is the local salvage or scrap yard. I own a small business manufacturing company and I have several cnc machines, all of which has leftover scraps. Everything leftover goes to recycling centers. Stainless, aluminum, steel, brass, tool steel and carbide. When we sell the old carbide tooling, the guys break out the XRF gun. 

Leeway,

First and foremost, Welcome to the forum!:4chsmu1:

This topic will not be moved from this section, Bill created all of these forum sections to not only share finds and experiences, but as an educational site to help newbies in their quest to find info, knowledge and experience in finding gold, rocks and minerals specimens, and meteorites, etc,.

This topic will help future newbies see one example of what is most likely not a meteorite, so it has merit as a teaching tool.

Here's the rules/guidelines Bill created for the Nugget Shooter forum, in the case of this forum section the clarification for this forum section is at the bottom, please note the mention of "...the main reason for this forum is education.." and "..no degrading post,,,"."

Meteorite Forum Guidelines

There are just a few rules here and yup I do enforce them and keep an eye on things as best I can. Here are a few guidelines I'd like you to follow if you will be participating here. This forum is not moderated as heavily as the other sections so please do not enter or open a topic if you think you will be offended. If you are at least respond like an adult or we will remove your post as soon as brought to our attention.

Vulgar and abusive language is not welcome here! Heck a cuss word to get a point across is not so bad, but I think you know what I mean.

I will not host public arguments and pissing matches between individuals here so please just don't do it. When it happens the post most times will simply vanish into cyber space.

Political or Religious posts belong in "Off Topic" but surly you can find other forums that host those discussions if it is your thing, I don't think anyone cares if you are Conservative or Liberal when we are out hunting gold nuggets.

You may not use this forum to advertise any other dealer, store, or product without written permission by owner at any time. Used items are allowed in the classified section.

This forum is not responsible for anything said by it's members at any time. This is a public forum and will remain so and although I can and will occasionally zap "bad content" I don't do it often and so far have never permanently banned a person. Also opinions expressed here do not always represent the opinion of the forum's owner!

Guests are welcome to browse the forum and use the information provided by registered members, but you can not post yourself until you are a registered member.

That is pretty much it my fellow Nugget Shooters so enjoy the forum, keep it clean and play nice.
Bill Southern

Well the rules here are a bit different as I welcome meteorites for sale you have collected or found yourself, but no store or dealer ads at any time and this includes eBay links! Naturally the main reason for this forum is education, but collecting is also a big part of this subject. So No crappy or degrading posts or they will be deleted, other than that post away!

"