Nugget Shooter Forums

Recon Today

TomH

Hey all:
 Got out today with dad to do a recon trip for camping and looking for new areas in the higher elev.

Went up to the Dewey area. Weather was not too bad actually. Nice breeze blowing and a lot cooler than this furnace down here!
Didnt do much detecting. Mostly scouting. Did manage to dig up about 8 pcs of trash on some of the spots I detected.

No pics of yellow stuff though :th:

On the way back we swung through Cordes and saw the Big bug fire. It burned some of the guardrail posts on the High way and got really close to some of the homes up there.

Heres some pics of how the fire retardant stopped it. Pretty amazing.  Dont know if there is gold in those hills but there sure isnt much vegetation to bother you now :)
Tom

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

One of the fires did a number to the Prescott exit on I-17, burned the lettering off so bad it's illegible.

Looks like the fire did a good job of clearing the brush so maybe it'll be easier to detect.  When I see your pictures of the fire, I'm kind of amused that one of the radio hosts said allowing logging in AZ would cut down on these wild fires.  I'm not sure this radio host knows that most of the AZ wild fires take place in a non-wooded area.  I'm also surprised at how well the fire retardant worked.  I see videos of it drifting down from the plane bit never thought the stuff actually worked, but your pictures make it pretty clear.

I'm jealous of you guys who can get out.  I'm in between jobs and was hoping to have much more time, but I'm actually busier than when I was working.  I start work again in a couple weeks so maybe it will slow down a little.

Beautiful country for you both to explore, especially with your dad.

2 hours ago, TomH said:

Dont know if there is gold in those hills but there sure isnt much vegetation to bother you now :)

Hey Tom, nice pics! I'm curious about that top photo taken across the top of your rig... I noticed a whole lot of well-rounded boulders and I'm curious if those were possibly old river rock, in an old wash or just very, very weather-worn. Regardless, you're right about not having to fight a bunch of brush to hunt that area now!

Happy Hunting!

Lisa

51 minutes ago, Oregal1976 said:

Hey Tom, nice pics! I'm curious about that top photo taken across the top of your rig... I noticed a whole lot of well-rounded boulders and I'm curious if those were possibly old river rock, in an old wash or just very, very weather-worn. Regardless, you're right about not having to fight a bunch of brush to hunt that area now!

Happy Hunting!

Lisa

Lisa:
 There is a lot of granite in that area and I think its just weathered granite.

You can get to that area pretty easy.....I-17 to bloody basin turn off....go right..it will take you back along the freeway, First left and go up a ways. It will eventually put you in Cordes Lakes.

Tom

Tom - cool pics.  Definitely ripe for detecting.  I keep waiting for some of our claim areas to catch a lightning strike.  

Chris - those retardant drops are very effective in brush fires.  Seem to be a little less in forests.  The consistency of it was like snot, though, and if it hit you dead on it would knock you over.  They'd never tell us what was in it (proprietary) but you could definitely smell strong ammonia.

Andyy--Had to look the fire retardant up to see if was made of "Agent Orange" and this is what I got:

"The material is called Foscheck.It is primarily made up of 85% water, 10%fertilizer (ammonia phosphate and sulfate ions), and 5% minor ingredients(iron oxide for color, clay or bentonite). It works by coating the ground,buildings and plants with a moisture (like water, but has a 'stickyness' to it) usually dropped by aircraft and reducing the flammability. It is non-toxic to humans if it gets on your skin but can be harmful to animals if swallowed. It is red because once dropped it is easily visible from the air and on the ground."

10% fertilizer is a lot.  I think it's normally added to the soil in parts per thousand or millions.  The fertilizer would account for the ammonia smell.

Whew....  I was worried about you starting out with the "Agent Orange" comment. :th:  I was covered with that stuff while working fires in the Forest Service in the 90's and can tell you from experience ... it is slimy stuff.  Never swallowed the stuff ... or did I?  Might explain some things.

Thanks for the info!

Great pictures  !!

I'd be curious to see those same areas again after a heavy downpour.

:head:

Luke