Nugget Shooter Forums

Check Out this huge Schorl

Nice piece Adam. I've seen bigger Schorl in Arizona but in such good condition they are rare in the larger sizes.

Looks like you might actually have found a Dravite crystal just looking at the termination. Close relative of Schorl but a bit more collectable.

Try a streak test, if it streaks brown you've got Dravite (Magnesium tourmaline) if it streaks gray white or bluish white it's Schorl (Iron tourmaline). If it streaks white it could be mid series between them or glass. :4chsmu1:

That's a beauty Adam!  Very nice find.  I'm envious of those that go out and collect this time of year.  Here in southern AZ, going out to collect is too risky for my taste.  I have to wait till Nov when the heat subsides and the sneaky snakes go to sleep for the winter.  :Just_Cuz_06:

That is a nice piece.

I wonder how you get it out of the quartz?  I did an internet search and could not find anything on extracting gems from host rock.  Apparently I reached the end of the internet.

You guys keep motivating me to get out.  Please keep the pics and stories coming.

23 hours ago, clay said:

Nice piece Adam. I've seen bigger Schorl in Arizona but in such good condition they are rare in the larger sizes.

Looks like you might actually have found a Dravite crystal just looking at the termination. Close relative of Schorl but a bit more collectable.

Try a streak test, if it streaks brown you've got Dravite (Magnesium tourmaline) if it streaks gray white or bluish white it's Schorl (Iron tourmaline). If it streaks white it could be mid series between them or glass. :4chsmu1:

Well Clay, the streak is brown...There were all found on one individual boulder  amongst other schorls...I collected like 2 excellent specimens, but gave the other one away. The crystal structure would also suggest Dravite type, so that is likely the case ...... the other specimen was nicely terminated as well. Never found any more like them...  Good call man....I didnt even notice  

15 hours ago, Ahorton10 said:

Very nice Adam!  There's a binch of those up "newbie wash"  I didn't see any that big though.  I wasn't really looking for them either.

Like Clay said, its hard to find ones of size that are well terminated and free of damage. little ones are quite common...  Yea , "newbie wash " needs a biblical flood event, and you better get there first :brows: :200:  

Collin found a really nice cluster of them up there, they weren't terminated though but pretty large.  I brought a bucket of overburden home and let my kids pick all the little ones out of it.  As for the biblical flood event, you guys can have first crack at it, I don't visit people's patches without permission.  I'm not sure who found that spot to begin with but there's still some good color in there even without a flood.  

Dude, Adam ...go kill it given the opportunity..Everyone that knows that spot is more than welcome if it mega floods...It will be like amazing Race ...way to much fun...I know Boulder dash feels the same way ...Lots of gold in Arizona , plenty go around   :thumbsupanim

Edited by adam