Nugget Shooter Forums

Tires for Escalade

mn90403

I have a 2003 2WD Escalade that I use to get out prospecting.  I'll drive over 100 miles one way on many trips to get near to the spot.

Once I get off the Interstate in California, Arizona and Nevada we'll go over some rocky BLM roads.  I've even been known to 'push it' a bit farther than an Escalade is known to go.

I have a Michelin light truck tire on it now.  The tires still have tread but they have chipped in many places.  It is an LTX A/T2.  Costco has them (60,000 mile Warranty) and they say the 'new' compound resists chipping.  There is another LTX M/S that has a 70,000 mile Warranty.

Should I get either one of these tires?  Or Cooper or ??

If there was a Les Schwab in these parts I'd go to them and just buy what they have.  Does anyone have experience with Big-O, Pep Boys or any of the other chains.

If Glen was still around the forum I know he would get me the right tires this week. 

April issue of Consumers Reports has the ratings on all tires for each use. 4 Wheeler mag did a test also months ago but they accept advertising so don't know there honesty but Consumers impeccable-John

Have you tried Discount Tires...

The load rating is the important thing...you want at least a Load Range E tire.  Be aware they will require more tire pressure-probably at least 45 LB. I run my Michelins at 55 lb.

The higher the load range and pressure the less of a Cadillac ride you will get.

fred

Have you tried looking at the BFG All Terrains? They are great on and off-road, take quite a beating and can be aired down alot to help with traction. I've used them wheeling and never popped one, I have and seen Coopers shred on rocky terrain. Also witnessed an BFG all terrain get smashed against the rim crushing the rim blowing all the air out and the tire was still okay.

I use the BFG mud terrains for Off-road, they might be a little knobby for the Escalade.

All-Terrain KO2

Discount has 26 tires available - Load range E1-  LT265 /70 R17 starting at less than  $100 and up to $250+   depending on how plain or rugged you want it:kevlar/ tread compound,pattern, bead, sidewall, belting technology.

Most  selection seem to be running a promotion for $70 prepaid VIsa card givewaway and also $30 for using your  their store card( which , I'm sure, they will sign you up for on the spot or even online).

YOu can do  quite a bit more when aired down to a  tire sidewall height of 75% of full inflation height.  To find that specific pressure, it's advised to perform the test  in the comfort of a flat driveway.

I believe you get almost twice the floatation in actual area of the tire footprint.  Encounter soft sand/silt on a regular basis,it  should be SOP to air down.    Of course, use of the brake pedal is a nono, as is use of the skinny pedal( much), or you risk popping a bead, only to then  have to practice you  trucker's hitch tieing skills  around the flat , after having squirted " just enough":idunno::evil1:(rattlecan solvent of choice) into the the carcass to be followed with a  blowtorch light from same.  

Or you could throw a match at it -from a distance- to light the solvent in the flat.

I'm a longtime COstco member but get my tires, every time, from Discount. IMO, COstco tires're overpriced and limited in selection.

$ no object  Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar .

I had a set of them (before theKevlar), that lasted on the front( never rotated) of my truck for 75000 miles.  I kept them that long   by benefit of a tread depth /air pressure gauges so as to  document the wear over time and increase/decrease pressures to even out wear across the face of the tread- the factory guidance was/is  meaningless. 

Edited by weaver hillbille

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Have you tried looking at the BFG All Terrains? They are great on and off-road, take quite a beating and can be aired down alot to help with traction. I've used them wheeling and never popped one, I have and seen Coopers shred on rocky terrain. Also witnessed an BFG all terrain get smashed against the rim crushing the rim blowing all the air out and the tire was still okay.

I use the BFG mud terrains for Off-road, they might be a little knobby for the Escalade.

All-Terrain KO2

Mitchell- The Bfg's are a good looking tire and pricey I used them for years but the tread will chunk on rocky terrain :idunno:-stay away from them unless you plan on using your truck as a mall crawler and just occasionally go off road :Just_Cuz_06:I had a bfg at blow out on the back of my tacoma and it tore up the whole side of my truck-$4500 worth plus my deductable :grr01:-I now use yokahama's they have a 60k life :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...

53 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

-any real off roader knows that-stay away 

You always have to throw in that one comment that just prove's your a complete ass, huh Mike? You could just state you don't like them from your bad experience with them, which was actually likely caused from a lack of or proper maintenance with the tire or age and it was bad anyways. I wouldn't mind you stating your likes dislikes and starting a real discussion, but to throw in a little snarky comment just further prove's your asinine thought process. Wether you meant to be a jerk or not I took offense to it and hope in the future you can keep that crap to yourself. Oh nice, you then go back and edit it out! :thumbsupanim Your a great representative of this forum!

Never had any issue and have done more than my fair share of offroading. All the BFG's I have had always take a beating AT's or MT's. All tires will chunk some no matter what on rocks. Go to a rock crawling event and see how many guys are running Yokohamas, none! Only guys sponsered by them and its probably only for the show. In the field you see General grabbers, BFG, Goodyear, Maxxis, Mickey Thompson.

As Weaver said, the Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar are about the best choice, but probably too much meat for the Escalade. I did have a Mickey Thompson Baja Claw loose the tread on the interstate like happened to Mike with his BFG,mine was due to old age though. I wouldn't blame the manufacturer.

Mitchel,

I waited a while for other comments to show up before adding my $.02..

Don't know if you saw the thread I had going about about a tire blow-out, but those were the original LTXs.. Just under 6 years old, 29K miles, plenty of tread left (8 of 12).. The problem turned out being dry rot.. Not 'visible' sidewall dry rot; it was all in the space between where the rubber meets the road -- all tires, mega tiny cracks in 'em..

During the few days that thread was active I learned wayyy more about modern tire production than I ever thought I'd need to know, and my final takeaway is with very few exceptions we're all getting hosed regardless what tire brand or rating we purchase (exceptions being top-tier hi-speed pieces, which aren't built for long time duration lifespan anyhow..) My end thought was wear 'em out as opposed to trying to make 'em last, cos they won't..

The hillbillie pointed out in that thread they still mfg good tires because you 'never' see motorcycle tire failure associated with dry rot.. I honestly think it has more to do with them getting worn out very quickly and having a lower mileage life.. I base this on my having been hurt, not being able to ride very much for a few years and ending up being quite surprised in a not good way when I saw just how badly my MC tires had dry rotted over those years while garaged..

Anyhow -- I replaced the entire set with the Michelin LTX A/T2s.. As weave also mentioned they had the $70 rebate plus buy 3 get one.. The newer M/S had no discount plus $20+ more a tire -- right at $300 difference for a set.. My only plan is to wear them out this time before they dry rot.. I've been running Michelins for a long time, and they do get the mileage..

OTOH, these are a light truck tire 'C' rated.. I actually have a much worse dry rot problem going on with the 10-ply 'E' rated Michelin's on the F-250.. Side walls on those.. If there's any good news it's Michelin will make good on their warranty as long as the tires are still within the six years, which will be close.. Not even 10K miles..

Bottom line is I really don't know what to tell you, beyond the fact I did replace my problem with the same mfg.. I know what the tires will do as far as road mileage is concerned.. Off road is a whole 'nother story.. As off road as the LTXs got was from Congress to Stanton several times and a ride down to Tom & Old Tom's camping spot on Lynx Creek 5 years ago.. For that you'll need to base on what the other folks have to say..

Swamp

The last set of TOYOs I had I destroyed. I for sure got my moneys worth out of them but in the end....they went 4 yrs over some god awful nasty schisty bedrock hills.

Im now running BFGs. Only had them out about 8 times over the same ugly stuff and they look pretty darn good! No chunks missing. Know a couple of other full time prospectors that swear by the BFGs also.

Is it just me or does it seem a little odd that someone has a cadillac for a prospecting vehicle? :)
What the heck.....you find gold! WTG!!!:yesss:

Maybe I need a lambo for a prospecting vehicle :ya:

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

You always have to throw in that one comment that just prove's your a complete ass, huh Mike? You could just state you don't like them from your bad experience with them, which was actually likely caused from a lack of or proper maintenance with the tire or age and it was bad anyways. I wouldn't mind you stating your likes dislikes and starting a real discussion, but to throw in a little snarky comment just further prove's your asinine thought process. Wether you meant to be a jerk or not I took offense to it and hope in the future you can keep that crap to yourself. Oh nice, you then go back and edit it out! :thumbsupanim Your a great representative of this forum!

Never had any issue and have done more than my fair share of offroading. All the BFG's I have had always take a beating AT's or MT's. All tires will chunk some no matter what on rocks. Go to a rock crawling event and see how many guys are running Yokohamas, none! Only guys sponsered by them and its probably only for the show. In the field you see General grabbers, BFG, Goodyear, Maxxis, Mickey Thompson.

As Weaver said, the Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar are about the best choice, but probably too much meat for the Escalade. I did have a Mickey Thompson Baja Claw loose the tread on the interstate like happened to Mike with his BFG,mine was due to old age though. I wouldn't blame the manufacturer.

You know your unbelievable I edited that before you even posted -so that this thread wouldnt be Fffd up like youve done-Sorry guys I tried :idunno:Mike C...:200: 

3 hours ago, TomH said:

The last set of TOYOs I had I destroyed. I for sure got my moneys worth out of them but in the end....they went 4 yrs over some god awful nasty schisty bedrock hills.

Im now running BFGs. Only had them out about 8 times over the same ugly stuff and they look pretty darn good! No chunks missing. Know a couple of other full time prospectors that swear by the BFGs also.

Is it just me or does it seem a little odd that someone has a cadillac for a prospecting vehicle? :)
What the heck.....you find gold! WTG!!!:yesss:

Maybe I need a lambo for a prospecting vehicle :ya:

Tom H.

I'm looking at buying a 4Runner to go out prospecting.  Around here a 4WD Runner with less than 150,000 miles in the 2000 year range is worth MORE than my 2003 Escalade!  So much for 'value' of a vehicle.

This SUV belonged to my parents and it has out-lived my Trooper.

Mitchel

7 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I'm looking at buying a 4Runner to go out prospecting.  Around here a 4WD Runner with less than 150,000 miles in the 2000 year range is worth MORE than my 2003 Escalade!  So much for 'value' of a vehicle.

Mitchel

Ya thats the good thing about a toyota-they Hold the value-I have a 06 tacoma BB on it is in the 17k range:thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

I've got the BFG KOs on my Tacoma for almost two years now.  No complaints.  They are E-rated and the ride is a bit 'shopping cart like'.  They are tough and provide peace of mind.

There are a few chunks missing, and now as soon as I hit the dirt I shift to 4H.  I try to not be in too much of a hurry and mostly drive to prevent wheel spin.  I expect they'll last at least another two years.  By then, I'll replace them with the 'new' ones (version 2) that have the tougher 'armor' on the side walls.

I wouldn't consider myself a 'real offroader'  :4chsmu1:, but so far, I've always been able to get to where I wanted to go.....  within reason.

I probably 'baby' them compared to other people, but who cares what they think....   :D

Like always....  I hope you find what you're looking for, Mitchell.

Luke

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Mitchel

Good choice Mitchel! I just took the family out in our '14 4Runner wheeling Saturday and it was awesome! First time we had it in the dirt since we got it a few months ago and I was very surprised at its offroad capability's. My wife kept saying "No!, dont go up that hill!,No!, dont go down that hill, No! don't go through those rocks!" but every time she was surprised how easily we went through and over obstacles. If I could, I would throw a little bit of a lift on it as I scraped the bottom a couple times, but it has skid plates. I felt it was by far the best stock rig I have wheeled, ever...

If you can afford it, look into a 4Runner Trail Edition with KDSS supension, they have a rear locker and the dynamic suspension is supposed to be very effective on and offroad. We love our 4Runner!! 

...but every time she was surprised how easily we went through and over obstacles...

Ummmmm, not necessarily a good sign, AD.. Next thing ya know she'll be tellin' you at dawn she's going out food shopping, then suddenly it's 14 hours later when she shows up back home with no groceries but a 1st place trophy from the hill climb..

Swamp

I stopped by a place the other day and they had Falken Tires.  They use them for other customers.  Told me it would be $580 out the door.

Does anyone have experience with them?

NEVER go wrong with a Toyota 4 x 4. I'n down to 2 and thinkn' about a 3rd as I need another car. Tires depend on your particular area geology. I've seen some work great in the desert and shred to death instantly in the mountains. Consumers-no ads ever-in their latest tests and over 125,000 comments came up with HankookDynaproAT-M, Goodyear Wrangler Adventure/Kevlar, Michelin LTX AT2 ,Cooper Discoverer AT/W. Falken WildPeak A/To1 were also listed BUT bad rolling resistance,wet/dry/snow/ice performance as a off road tire not meant for a street truck. I'm looking for tires on my 04 taco so info at hand. I buy everything based on these reports annually as concerned consumers in huge quantities relate their experiences honestly. John

Not many mention Toyo when talking new rubber ... I used to be exclusively BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's and then they changed the formula and became a softer compound ... sticky yes but no miles! So it was recommended for me to go look at Toyo Open Country ATII tires. I put a set on my 2011 GMC 1500 Sierra and went 62000 on the first set. Bought a second set and went another 40k plus and traded the truck for a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD which came with Michelin AT E rated tires ... junk in my mind ... got the truck last October 30 2015 and to date have just over 20K miles on the truck ... tires have maybe 5k left ... Most of the driving I do is highway but of course a lot of desert driving as well and I haul a 21 foot toy-hauler camper with it. I will be putting a full set on new Toyo Open Country ATII E rated(10 Ply Tread)on this truck before I head back to Maine and NH in the fall for deer hunting. The Toyo's are very quiet for an open tread out on the highway, have good traction in the rain, give me great traction in loose gravel in the AZ deserts, grip the shale covered back roads of northern Maine without getting sliced up and blowing out and when late in the deer season we get a freak snow storm of 12" or more they punch through like the snow wasn't even there! 

Mitchel, as much as you travel I suggest buying from a chain like Discount Tires...warranties don't mean much when you are three or four states away from where you bought them.

I have michelins series E with at least 40K...they have been good tires...of course, I don't do 60 on rough roads and sharp stones...

fred

14 hours ago, fredmason said:

Mitchel, as much as you travel I suggest buying from a chain like Discount Tires...warranties don't mean much when you are three or four states away from where you bought them.

I have michelins series E with at least 40K...they have been good tires...of course, I don't do 60 on rough roads and sharp stones...

fred

Fred,

You have me confused with Paul.

He doesn't change tires ... he changes trucks!

Mitchel

21 hours ago, fredmason said:

fred

Fred are you accusing me of a lead foot? OK ... OK ... I admit I have been known to travel 85 in a 65 and must faster than I should on dirt tracks ... ask Chris G for confirmation! Hee! Hee! Even with my lead foot my Toyos take the beating and come along for 60K miles ... I think they are advertised to go 65K so I don't think I am abusing them TOO much!!! LOL!