Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Late night pondering, my friends....

So, many years ago, I moved to N. CA and bought a ranch to prospect for gold and fish...  Is there anywhere I can now dredge for gold in CA? .... Is there anywhere I can fish for Steehead trout? ...Simple questions... Cheers, Unc

Dredge not ever nowhere..sorry. Federal preemption argument lost it for all in Oregon Supreme court case and in SB Ochoa waiting on California Supreme court to rule but precedent already set so 8 1/2 years and $3.3 mil flushed due to *&^%$# inept lawyers and rights infighting. Fish-I don't and won't as like killing friends and I don't eat'm either so makes no sense for me to fish. Wish ya luck Ron as always-John.

Ah-Oh, looks like the heat has gotten the better of you Unc. I'd like to move back to No. Cal. too, but they would want part of my SS income and my wife's retirement income. So, No. Nev. it is.

• Like 1

Ron, the fishing around Mariposa, is like crap, water too low, and hot for good fishing. Grubstake

oh god, Uncle Ron.  Not California.  I could never live there.  Too many earthquakes and err...liberals.   Not sure which is worse. :inocent:

Edited by Andyy

Then again, I dooo see a lot of good gold coming out of California ... hmmm... :th:

Ron, you can catch, or use to be able to catch some nice Steelhead out of the American River off of Hiway 50 in Sacramento / Rancho Cordova area. I'm sure the Feather, Russian and other rivers on the north coast still have great fishing. Also got great bass fishing in the foothills. Northern California made out better than Central CA with the rains this winter so areas around Yosemite are still struggling with water issues.

Most people think of LA when thinking of California. Those of us lucky or smart enough to live in the foothills / mountains know what a good life is all about.

Can't beat having world class snow skiing and the best sailing venue within 2 hours drive, not to mention the Mother Lode, and yeah Andy, we've still got some nice gold coming out of the ground here.

Living the dream.

1 side a1.jpg

• Like 4

Love the speci, GeoJack..! What was your dissolving agent, or did you use more than one..? Dilution strengths..? Time durations..?

Swamp

HF, don't know the concentration as I had another person do it for me. Second speci I gave him to process he was keeping all the loose AU that fell out of the piece. I strongly recommend to anyone who ask, do not go there. Took about a week to 10 days if I remember. He had to change out the HF once.

This is my very first find with my GB2, paved road, 4' off the edge of the pavement and down about 16". PI couldn't go there with overhead power lines.

Also Andy, us liberals are required to have rattlers now so you others know who we are. Our bite is far more worst than our bark / rattle.;-)

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 4

Yeah, you don't want to mess with HF, Swamp.  That stuff will eat your bones away.   Better to find a place to do it.  We used to have a quartz shop at my work to do that stuff.   Then it got out sourced to a local shop.  See if you can find a Quartz shop in your area.  They might do it for you on the side (after hours).

• Like 1

No offense but what's a quartz shop? Are you talking about a rock shop or something else?

A quartz shop is like a machine shop but they manufacture quartz products.  Quartz reactors, thermocouple sheaths, and wafer wands for the semiconductor industry.  Arizona has a couple of these.  One I still remember is Wacom.  This is who we outsourced to.  Though I have never asked them to do this for me, I am sure they could be persuaded.

Typically they use HF and Nitric acid baths.  50/50.  Nitric acid eats away any of the metal left on the quartz from machine tools and the HF you can think of similar to a machine electropolish.  It eats away the sharp points and rounds out the valleys .  Rounding everything out minimizes the chances of stress fractures when heated 1200C+.  Leave it in there long enough and everything goes away.... everything except your precious yellow stuff. :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GeoJack said:

This is my very first find with my GB2, paved road, 4' off the edge of the pavement and down about 16". PI couldn't go there with overhead power lines.

Just a suggestion....have you tried using an XP coil with the 5000???? JP shows in his GPX series (for the 4K) on how to set up and run under power-lines. If i remember correctly, it's at the end of the disk, about the last 20 minutes.

1st time posting, been in the shadows awhile.

Cheers

Gypsy

Edited by GypsyGoldAu
Added my intro., then added disk info.
  • Like 1

Geojack ... Next time out with the PI ... assuming it to be one of the Minelab GPX series put on a DD coil and detect under those wires in Cancel. I have done it successfully under high tension lines so the regular street lines should be a snap.

I have the Garrett ATX, it works ok under the lines, mainly work with my GB2. Another thing is the PI's don't pick up this type gold very well.

• Like 1

OK ... Not much experience behind the ATX or any Garrett for that matter. 

HE KEPT THE SLUFF OFF.... man alive them's fighting words for sure. HF is a bear for sure as good fume hoods, positive displacement chamber, tons of equipment to wear and 1 lousy mistake and you can really be in deep kaka. We even used flourosulfonic(sp?) ONCE as 10X more dangerous. No gold on earth worth that risk BUT righteous specimen for sure-John

Hoser John
Dont start fluorinating on us. :D  Is it worse than hydrofluoric acid, I guess it depends on what your putting it on?
AzNuggetBob

It is the most dangerous acid made. It comes in sealed ampules of a specific ceramic material that you break the weird extended lip off and pour out inside a positive displacement hood wearing a complete hazmat suit. 1 puff of the ungodly fumes and adios amigo. Does a righteous job but hf much less hazardous and costs less than 1/4 to get.  John