Nugget Shooter Forums

Needle in the haystack!

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and i have been swinging my gpx 5000 for three years now. I am very hooked on dirt fishing and i try to get out daily. About two months ago i found a gold bracelet along an old historic route outside of Reno. It is a 1gram 10k bracelet without a makers mark, and says Sherry on one side and love, al on the other. This got me fired up, i mean i am still a beginner! So i went to work on griding the area and found lots of trash, but in the middle of it all i heard a faint whisper. Under a couple of inches of dirt i could see something gold! This was at the end of the day and the sun was down, but i swore it was gold until i saw that it was a fragment of a bullet the same shape i had seen many times, but usually lead. When i had a better look at home i found to my surprise it is a mix of gold and i think copper. Has anyone found or heard of a gold bullet? Maybe i am wrong, but sure looks good!

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

038.JPG

• Like 3

I agree....copper. Wait till your digging a target with sweat in your eyes and you see a yellow rock or leaf :) That gets you going :th:

Very nice job cleaning up the desert! Your collection rivals mine.

Cool find with the bracelet.  You never know what you will find. I found a 1930s gold pocket watch chain by some drywash piles at Quartzsite a few years ago.

Tom H.

• Like 3

I agree with the previous comments....

Some of those bullet fragments really make you do a double take.  Desert patina.   :desertsmile:

The rest of your finds are pretty awesome.    :thumbsupanim

Keep it up, you never know what that next signal will be !!   :head:

Luke

• Like 1

What gets my goat is the little Palo Verde leaves that turn yellow and get in the hole you are digging.  First glance you think that you have uncovered a small nuggie but alias it's not.  Especially if it disappears and reappears a  couple of times. 

I do think that your piece is a bullet shard of brass and maybe some more copper content.  I have dug some like that in the past and they do fool you at first.  Gets the heart pumping for a while though. 

Old Tom 

• Like 3

My favorite is the fire pit nuggets.

When I first started hunting I found my share of them. melted fire pit nuggets formed when the old timers burned their trash and melted old broken bass objects.

ya find one take em home polish all that black (patina/oxidation) off of them, yes its gold. :ROFL:

ya drop a drop of nitric acid on them and watch them bubble blue and green and melt away, No its Brass.:2mo5pow::cry2:

AzNuggetBob

• Like 5

I know exactly what you guys mean about seeing those yellow rocks. Especially when you've already got some dirt out of the hole and you're pinpointing with your scoop and you've got it in there then you see a yellow rock... Sometimes they can look just like a little dirt-covered specimen. 

• Like 5

Hey there hardtimehermit.  I gotta tell you, you have come to the right place.  I particularly am a garbage expert and have quite a collection myself.  Copper yes, and the oh so dreaded freak'n lead bullets that haunt me in my sleep and when I'm out looking for the yellow stuff.  :brows:  

Good find on that bracelet.  As for the  trash I was LMAO because I save mine and store it like a badge of courage in my garage.   I've just never posted it.  I've actually thought of starting a thread to see who has stored up the most trash but I figured nobody would be interested.   You know they call it gold fever not trash fever.   Ha ha.  

I like Old Tom's comment on the yellow leaves.  Just enough to get your heart beating again after digging bullets all day.  Only to find the little bugger is a leaf.  I thought I was the only one that did that.  But the feel test is unmistakeable.  A quick story:  I was in my living room putting gold into these little glass vials that I could use for depth testing on my GPX.  Well I dropped one on the tile and it shattered.  I was so focused on picking up the glass so my wife and daughter didn't step on it, I forgot I had a nugget in it.  About two hours later my wife doing something by the couch and she kinda gasps a little.  She kicked the nugget thinking it was a pebble and  picked it up to throw it away and immediately felt it's greatness.  Seriously.  She new it was gold by the feel of it.  Then again, she's a woman.  So ...   I forget my point.  Well, I think my point is that 1)  you'll definitely know it when you find it and 2) hide it from your wife.  (just kidding on the last one) lol

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andyy said:

Hey there hardtimehermit.  I gotta tell you, you have come to the right place.  I particularly am a garbage expert and have quite a collection myself.  Copper yes, and the oh so dreaded freak'n lead bullets that haunt me in my sleep and when I'm out looking for the yellow stuff.  :brows:  

Good find on that bracelet.  As for the  trash I was LMAO because I save mine and store it like a badge of courage in my garage.   I've just never posted it.  I've actually thought of starting a thread to see who has stored up the most trash but I figured nobody would be interested.   You know they call it gold fever not trash fever.   Ha ha.  

I like Old Tom's comment on the yellow leaves.  Just enough to get your heart beating again after digging bullets all day.  Only to find the little bugger is a leaf.  I thought I was the only one that did that.  But the feel test is unmistakeable.  A quick story:  I was in my living room putting gold into these little glass vials that I could use for depth testing on my GPX.  Well I dropped one on the tile and it shattered.  I was so focused on picking up the glass so my wife and daughter didn't step on it, I forgot I had a nugget in it.  About two hours later my wife doing something by the couch and she kinda gasps a little.  She kicked the nugget thinking it was a pebble and  picked it up to throw it away and immediately felt it's greatness.  Seriously.  She new it was gold by the feel of it.  Then again, she's a woman.  So ...   I forget my point.  Well, I think my point is that 1)  you'll definitely know it when you find it and 2) hide it from your wife.  (just kidding on the last one) lol

So true. :thumbsupanim ya want to see my stash of trash, Ok relics.:D

AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

I didn't realize how much of that trash (treasures to my boys) you actually aquire and bring home EVERY trip until I bought a new home in November and had to move. I literally have boxes and coffee cans and little plastic totes full of square nails, round nails, bullets, the odd rusted scrap metal, and even wire. Pounds and pounds of it. And according to my two boys it's all treasure. I went through it before the move and had a huge pile to get rid of and the little guy caught me. Needless to say he wanted all of it. Kids are funny. We see rusty scrap that we know isn't anything of value but in their mind it's as good as gold. I guess I only have 11 more years to store it all because I told my little guy it's all going with him when he moves out haha.

Dan

• Like 3

Andyy & Dan -- ya both have me rollin' here, lol..! :laught16:

The #1 reason I don't have a garage full of true trash trash, from the beaches at least, is because the city councils finally realized that, yes, trash barrels at every beach access point, and on the beach at the heavily used ones, might not be such a bad idea after all.. It took a while, the better part of a couple of decades, and probably some public shaming as well, for beach goers to realize it really wasn't cool leaving empty beer cans and Belly Buster Burger wrappers laying around upon leaving when there were trash barrels on their way off, but over the years I've watched beach trash of that sort decrease by well into the upper 90th percentile..

By the same token, I also take advantage of those collectors when I'm leaving too.. These days, unless it's something really kewl or still unidentified they don't make it past the crossovers.. The only item I still keep going from the before times are tent stakes.. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of 'em either.. They have a unique tonal signature so I could stop digging them if I wanted, but I don't -- because it could also be a chain if laying buried 'properly'..

And so it continues: Dig everything, cos ya just never know...

Swamp

• Like 2

AzNuggetBob, I'd be too afraid ..... :hide:... if your trash/relics were anything like the gold you've posted, it would be Epic.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 3