Nugget Shooter Forums

How to find Gold in Utah

Hello My name is Mike. I live in Orem UT.  I am new to this and this form.   I do not mean to be a pest,  just looking for advice and guidance.  I have been prospecting for just over a year.  I have used classifiers and a pan with tub of water and a gold bug 2.  and have had little luck.  just a couple of flakes with many many buckets worked through.  spent time out by delta, gold hill and have tried to do research,  as to get onto the right areas.  I know you have worked for your areas and knowledge.  I hope I am not out of place to ask for insight and guidance. 

Thank you for your time.

Mike

Hi Mike;

you asked this question on one of the other forums...I think the answer will not change.

The first rule is there has to be gold to find...are you in such an area?

The second rule is; be skilled in the method you choose...seems like you know how to use your Bug...do you know for sure if your panning skills are proficient?

The third rule is perseverance.

also

You might find a local club to  join and learn from a mentor...do not expect anyone to take you right to their spots, you usually have to earn that trust!!!

BTW; Rod gave you a mighty good lead to follow up on, especially if you live anywhere near there.

fred

Yes he did with regards to metal detecting. And I am truly grateful for his advice and Council.

On this post I was questioning with regards to painting and other methods right here.  Sorry for not explaining that better. And my lack of knowledge.

And I have bought paydirt and practiced pending that out so I would hopefully have someone of a skill once I went out in the field. However I know I'm not perfect at it but will continue to practice.

Some time way back there was another member here that lived in Utah as well and I thought he said he was finding gold in the green river ? check it out-I also have herd there are small occurances of placer in other areas to-Google it :arrowheadsmiley: Good luck or you could just go to one of the other states right next or below Utah-Mike C...:200: PS-I just did a google search-I put in Utah gold placer deposits and alot popped up about gold in Utah-there you go the rest is up to you :head:

Ok.  panning is the first level for prospecting and finding gold, a sluice is your next level, then a dredge or high-bamker. And crevicing is a very excellent method...get Chris ralp's book; Fists Full of Gold and any or all of Jim Straight's books...then practice!!!!

BTW; you can check your skills by using 5 or 10 of the smallest lead shot you can find, or the very smallest split shot...mix them up in dirt and clay and learn to keep them in the pan...pan into a big tub if you are using Paydirt, that way you can check the tailings...your goal is to lose nothing.

fred

Edited by fredmason

If you can find one at a reasonable price and don't already have one, it would be worth getting the book entitled, "Gold Panning in Utah" by Alan J. Chenworth. However, I think they may be sold out everywhere judging by the prices at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Panning-Utah-Alan-Chenworth/dp/1424301173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465514358&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+panning+in+utah   Still, it is not a guarantee of finding gold but is a good place to gather more information. Even when you are in a good location, you can still come away with little or nothing. Gold is notoriously small in Utah. Might be worth scanning the benches around the public panning area of the Henry Mtns with a Gold Bug, but it's still probably not very efficient. The place I found the most is Amasa Valley in the House Range. However, the guy with the claim there raised his prices from something like $25 a year to some ridiculous price like $75 a week. I skirted around the edges of the claim and haven't had much luck finding gold out there since then. Some spots in NV and ID are better bets, but neither is particularly convenient to visit on a regular basis.