Nugget Shooter Forums

Weird 5000 problem.

Hello all,

I have a quick question for you guys. Today I got out with Larry to do a little nugget/coin hunting. We got up there and the EMI was actually the worst I've seen it there but very manageable. I had the new 17x11 on and was working an area that I have previously hit with the 12 inch round. All of a sudden the detector went crazy. I'm talking about the whole ground around me was one huge target. It just started overloading the machine. So I moved out of the area and started swinging again. A few hrs later it did it again. Really unbearable sounds I tell ya. Again I moved on a little ways. A little while after that it did it for a 3rd time. So needlessto say I'm a little irritated now. So I start messing with the settings. Up where I hunt I use the fine gold setting. It works perfectly for that area. So I click it down into sensitive smooth. Machine purred like a kitten. Switched back to fine gold, all he!! breaks loose again. Back to sensitive smooth, perfect. So I go back to the truck and swap over to my 12 inch round and set it back on fine gold with NO issues what so ever. So Larry puts my 17x11 on his machine with fine gold and hunted for a good hour with it without a single issue. I don't know. Is it possible to have just one timing go bad on the 5000? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm baffled by it i know that. Now if it did the same thing on Larry's detector then I would automatically know it's the coil. But it didn't do it to him in the short time he ran it. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, no gold or coins found today lol.

Dan

Do you have a cell phone on you? If I have mine with me, it causes all sorts of havok with the sdc2300, similar to how you described.

Edited by wes

Nothing I can say about your 5000, but I'm having so many problems with my 705 that I am thinking of sending it to be fixed.  I originally was going to send it to minelab.  If they look at it, I imagine the only thing they can do is swap the innards that thing is so small.  Mine is out of warranty.  With the 5000, there's got to be more than 1 circuit board inside.

Wes

Usually I do carry it with me and I have no issues. But this time I didn't have it on me. It was in the truck.

Chrisski 

Fortunately I have warranty on the 5000. But I really think it's the coil (hoping so). I'm thinking it has a glitch, maybe getting warm or something. Heck I don't know.

Isn't that the coil your dad recently left with you..? If yes, to me that automatically makes it the prime suspect.. Kind of strange only on one timing though, so far..

Since you have a friend also running a 5K, let him run it longer than an hour in the problem timing.. Even if it turns out he has no problem (which I kinda doubt will be the case if the following is true), if you have no problem while using your tried-and-true coils this says to me the problem is with that coil, it's connector or somewhere in between..

The only thing that doesn't make this exactly like the problem I have is when my issue first started the overload wasn't "right there.." It built slowly over time (months) and came-and-went, until that's all that was there.. The Infinium doesn't have multiple timing pre-sets, but the problem would be the same across all possible frequency settings..

Swamp

• Like 1

Hello swamp,

Yeah it's the same coil dad left here. He traded it to me for my 12 inch elliptical lol. Too heavy for him to swing. That coil is brand new. It has been out 4 times is all. And 2 of them were me using it. The first time (2 weeks ago) I had no issues. It ran so smooth I had to keep checking to see if it was working. So I'm kind of at a loss.

Dan:
 When I bought my 5000, the stock round coil was bad out of the box. It was a bad batch that ML sent out, they replaced it.

I could not hunt with it, it would false at every move. 

Try squeezing the coil with your hands and see if it makes noise.

Also, if you have it happen again, shut the machine off, turn on and see what its doing.

I have been in areas where the combination of ground/EMI has made me move on and in about 20 ft. its stable again. It usually happens when its a heavy EMI day.

I hunt in fine gold also.

Hope this helps.
Tom H.

• Like 1

Tom great info. I did raise it in the air and squeezed it and it falses. I just don't get why it didn't do it on Larry's machine. Maybe it didn't have time to heat up or something like that?

I agree about the coil or coil wire/cable/plug. Its hard to say without having it in hand. so to speak. try pushing the cable wire up and down on the shaft top to bottom.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1