Nugget Shooter Forums

Another Interesting FL Field Of Dreams Coin Find..

Yesterday evening I was jonesin' pretty badly over the need to be swingin' a detector.. With my beach PI on its way to TX for coil analysis and control box tune-up all I had functionally at the ready was a coin shooter.. So I grabbed it and headed for the "Field Of Dreams" (description of which is from a previous post and pasted beneath:)

...For four years or so Nora & I have been coin shooting the parking area of what is today a nearly defunct flea market located just off US1 (a portion of the original Maine-to-S.FL Dixie Hwy.) in Brevard Co., FL.. The place was built in the early-mid '60s, up until which time this location had been farm land (corn), orange groves and who-knows-what before that.. The market boomed for a good 30 years, after which time a new owner who'd bought the property on spec for being the location of a new Publix let it slide into disrepair.. Since then nearly all the vendors and definitely all the decent ones have moved on to other markets around the area..

We've pulled over $100 out of this parking lot, every bit of it clad.. The only silver we've ever found here has been in the form of cheaper jewelry lost or tossed at their long-running Wednesday AM parking lot flea market, which is now the biggest thing happening there these days and the reason we still return every now and then to detect...

This is the place where last year I unearthed a really nice condition 1885 Borneo one cent piece.. Last evening I sorta repeated the fete.. It was mid-dusk when this item popped, and I wasn't even able to tell for sure what it was until I got home.. When I first saw it I thought it was just a round knockout, that's how worn it appeared.. Saw it was a coin though, so into that pouch it went..

Turns out it's a 1908 Gr. Brit. bronze large one cent piece.. Found it in the same general vicinity as the Borneo one cent, in a little-used area of the lot during the best of times.. Here she be, in all her well-used glory: 

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/XS1100/Borneo Large Cent/GrBritOneCent01.jpg?t=1464537501?152

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/XS1100/Borneo Large Cent/GrBritOneCent02.jpg?t=1464537501?893

Here's a link to what it really looks like: 
http://www.silveragecoins.com/en/details.php?item=9563

Swamp

PS: Look out, nugget108's boys..! I'm a comin' after you two for a foreign coin shoot-off..! :yikes: :laught16:

Also, I don't know if this is gonna post the pics or links to 'em.. If links, the Gr. Brit. coin is in the same folder as the Borneo coin, so you can see it too, along with a shot of the Field Of Dreams from around 5 years ago.. The buildings on the left and left-center burned down shortly after this snap was taken and the little-used lot location is behind me and to the right, near then up to north property line..

Killer find Swamp. Congratulations. Haha dont tell them that, I'll have to start taking days off from work just to take them out to find more. Nice find bud.

Edited by nugget108

Thanks, Dan..
Skip -- thanks for the pix' post-ups.. I had to scan instead of cam though.. The found coin is definitely much sharper than as seen, with clearly visible and feelable date thanks to it being stamped in a relief recess.. Beyond that it is as worn as it appears ..

Swamp

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Thanks, Dan..
Skip -- thanks for the pix' post-ups.. I had to scan instead of cam though.. The found coin is definitely much sharper than as seen, with clearly visible and feelable date thanks to it being stamped in a relief recess.. Beyond that it is as worn as it appears ..

Swamp

Heck Al that coin looks great!

If I was from 1908 I would be all worn out even if I hadn't been circulated and buried in the ground for a few years!!