Nugget Shooter Forums

Nugget Shooting in Utah

Guidance and Direction.

I live in Utah.  And have a Gold Bug 2.  I have been Nugget Shooting many times with No Success.  I have dug everything,  but with truly no success.  I am good at finding aluminum foil and lead shot. Haha

Could anyone offer any guidance?  

1) Continue digging everything..

2) Research.. If you haven't already done so, look into where gold nuggets have already been found in Utah.. These are the locations where you want to begin your nugget shooting adventures.. Once you've beeped a few while at the same time attaining a good understanding of the geological makeup at points of discovery, then you can begin thinking about going in search of possible un-tapped nugget sources..

Until that point, my best advice to you is detect where nuggets have already been found..

Swamp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allwintersports said:

Guidance and Direction.

I live in Utah.  And have a Gold Bug 2.  I have been Nugget Shooting many times with No Success.  I have dug everything,  but with truly no success.  I am good at finding aluminum foil and lead shot. Haha

Could anyone offer any guidance?  

I agree with what Swamp said in his post. It took me nearly a year to find my first gold with a beeper. Persistence pays off. If you are finding that small lead shot and you are in an area with detectable gold, it's just a matter of time. Low and slow. Good luck to us.  Jim

• Like 1

Research, research and more research. That is the biggest tool in detecting or any prospecting for that matter. Good luck to ya.

Dan

• Like 2

Utah was a big surprise for us with nugget gold. One thing I'll share is when we arrived in Marysvale there was a small general store and outside it were 3 or 4 quads with Minelab PIs mounted to rifle holders on the front racks. Here are a few pics from the trip. Utah is a beautiful state too. 

u2.JPG

u4.JPG

• Like 3

Research is 50% of finding gold. You have to have a passion for it. You have to spend hours online Googling about gold locations and finding old journals and geologic reports for areas. You have to spend a lot of time tracking down old books and reading too. It can be a rabbit hole finding one book on an area then reading the appendix and looking up the books the author used for info. I spend a lot of time on Google Earth as well lining up old mines and things on topo maps with GPS coordinates and figuring routes into areas I wanna prospect. 

• Like 4

The fact you're finding trash is good.  I would consider it unlikely its been hit hard. 

For gold bearing areas, need to locate the gold nearing areas in the gold bearing areas.  For example, Maricopa county has many placers, but much more area in that is worthless.

This is my worst problem.  Learn to cut your losses.  I have a claim on the fringe of the gold bearing area that keeps teasing me with enough gold to come back for more, but not enough to be worth anything.  I keep finding enough to say, i'm close to the paystreak, so I'll get it next time but never do.

I'm mostly a placer miner. The gold I've found is from a drywasher. Still working for my first nugget.

I've also tried to drywash where a 1gm was found, and that area of bedrock produced no other gold from drywashing.

• Like 1

Truly thank you for your tips.  I really mean it.  I will continue to do more research.  And keep working and looking.  The INFO is helpful.  

Thank you

Mike

Most importantly is don't quit. It can get frustrating but like many have said, keep at it and don't give up.

• Like 1

State dept of Mines and Minerals or Geology will have the literature you desire. Study in the freezing cold winter months and be prepared for these warm months to reap the benefits of your new knowledge. Local yokel Historical Societies are a fantastic assist also and check on small gold/gem/detector clubs for ez info and assistance.Educate and prosper is the #1 rule of mining-lots a luck-John

Edited by Hoser John
add
  • Like 1