Nugget Shooter Forums

Exploring new gold areas

Steve and I got out to do a bit of prospecting recently in Northern Nevada - it wasn't the most productive trip we've ever had, though I have done worse. At times it was plenty windy on this trip. - Bill, you remember that Northern Nevada wind? At least it was reasonably warm this time and not brass monkey cold like it was the last time Bill was out there.

Sometimes you do well and sometimes not. When exploring around and searching for new places, you never know what you will find - nice gold or not much. More often than not exploration leads to slim pickings as undiscovered new spots with loads of gold are few and far between these days - but they are still out there, you need to be wither very lucky or work hard or both.  Its just hard to say what an area will yield until you give it a try. However, exploring around is important as every patch plays out and the cream is taken, so its necessary to keep searching to find good spots. That's the essence of prospecting, searching for that next great patch.

One new place we went was down a very faint road that was all overgrown and didn't show any sign that anyone had been out to that spot in years. I looked around and saw no dig holes. I had my first nugget within 5 minutes of turning on my detector. I thought we had found another great new spot! However we both searched around there for several hours and I never got another nugget. Steve got one small one about 50 yards away from where I found mine, but that was all he found too. Some places are like that - they get your hopes up, but dont give up that hoard of gold you were hoping for.

In another area, we found at least one place that needs further investigation (different spot than the one above) and it will require rolling some rocks around. Its the kind of place that if it pans out, I might even bring in my dry washer.

So no home runs this trip, and the search continues.......

I ended up with right at one pennyweight or 1.5 grams. Took this photo with my dumb camera (not my smart phone), so no GPS coordinates are attached. The gold was fairly dirty as it came from the ground and had a little caliche attached. A little soak in diluted hydrochloric / muratic acid cleaned them up real fast with a lot of fizzing.

Nevada_gold_may_2016.jpg

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 5

Nice Nickel ... Don't find many Buffalo/Indian head nickels in as good a shape as that one. Most are well worn to the point of not seeing the date! OH! ... And nice gold too ... sounds like the trip was fun despite not meeting your 'full' expectations!

Mike F

If I had found one or two of those smallest ones, I'd consider it a 'Home Run' !!

Nice gold.     :D

Luke

• Like 1

Nice gold Chris :yesss:

Hope that new spot works out for you. 

Weve found gold in new spots.....and lots of skunk also :)
Just got to keep getting out there.

Tom H.

Mike your almost as bad as me on the jokes.

Nice finds Chris. keep them coming I love the Nv. nuggets. :yesss:

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

The nickel is not a find but is there for scale. I have made some buffalo nickel finds with that much detail. 

Have to set your goals high to succeed. We found some very good places last year, no reason why that can't be done again. 

• Like 2

Good on ya Chris and yes there is some wind for sure and sometimes wore a hoodie to block the noise in the headset :th:I love prospecting new areas and it is the best part of being a gold hound.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 9:27 AM, AzNuggetBob said:

Mike your almost as bad as me on the jokes.

What are you saying Bob? ... I'm just calling a spade a spade as I see it! :idunno: OoopS! .... Can we say that anymore in this PC world? Perhaps I should say "Calling a #2 Shovel a #2 shovel" ... losses a little in translation I think! :4chsmu1::old:

Mike F

• Like 1

Relax Mike, I thought were just making a jab about the Buffalo/Indian head Nickel. Chris never mentioned finding it in his first post. I think you can see how your comment may be taken out of context. my mistake.
AzNuggetBob

Bob ... No offense taken ... my response was my dry New England 'Wit' aka Downeast Humma coming out! Trying to be funny back but without the advantage of voice and inflections of same it is sometimes difficult! LOL!

Mike F