Nugget Shooter Forums

Crazy ideal

TWHaz

I am sitting here doing research after detecting this morning. A crazy ideal came into my head. Probably because I get bored reading those reports, going thru magazine archives etc. I am sure this will start a firestorm and am hesitant to suggest it.

Oh well here goes. 

Some of you who can no longer go in the field might make some good cash selling GPS coordinates to Patch locations. Now before you blow up,here me out.

I would not think it right selling those that still have partners still hunting them. I am sure there are some that only one person knows of that keeps getting replenished with storms and such. Like one of Bills stories where a friend passed leaving Bill a "Box" when he cleaned out his trailer. 

Anyway, sometimes situations arise where people could use some folding money. This is one way to get it. 

I know whats coming. Find your own patches. Do your own research. i get that. But I am bored and sometimes cannot help but stir the pot a bit.:evil1:

Funny you should say this....

I tell the wife, When I die, I want my ashes spread up a certain wash that was really good to us. The guy (got a couple in mind) that does this will get a notebook full of maps/GPS coords and such :)

That way when hes out there detecting and the wind is blowing.......im getting up his nose and all over him:yesss:
Tom H.

Not me, been married 6 times, going to take my ashes, put them in 6 duche bags and have them run me through one more time! Grubstake

If you go before me then what will I have left to hunt????????? 

Old Tom

There's certain areas I wouldn't mind paying a little for a tour or a map of patches. 

I don't really look at it as an investment and expect to get my money back. I'd just love to know some history on the area. The thrill of finding just a few nuggets would be worth the cost I think. Nothing compares. 

Do I post all my old patch maps here? or just start a new thread,:D  sharing patches is a very iffy subject. :200:

cat out of the bag,Genie out of the bottle. now I know why my sinuses are driving me crazy huntin them old patches..

AzNuggetBob

I new this was a touchy subject. This is a small community when you really look at it. I was just bored and thinking out loud in a computer age way. As to monetary worth. i do not know how many books I have purchased from good souls (some on these Forum) over the years. They in essence are doing what I suggested. Just not as specific. Glad to see the humor injected in this. I was grinning when I typed it.

Thanks All

Some tongue and cheek here but some truth also. This this is not a new crazy concept, selling information but, selling the younger generation information could be viewed as simply removing the opportunity for the younger generation to learn how to independently and successfully prospect on their own. Essentially the sale of knowledge could be viewed as enabling  the younger generation’s failure via dependence.Not only that, selling information would be removing the younger generation’s opportunity to experience the first hand the joys of being successful on their own. Don’t know about you but, I want the the younger generation to be fiercely independent and happy. High five kids, earn it!

Asking for a fair trade sale is better than having a sense of entitlement, but it's not as good as having the mindset to be an earner through your own hard work. Like the saying goes, (and no disrespect to teachers) those who can do, those who can't teach. We could use that here as, those who can do, those who can't pay. Not sure that is the legacy that I want to leave for the younger generation. 

When I’m an old geezer think I’ll just keep all the spots in the family but also take my AR-15, a guitar, a bottle of Jack and sit upon the mountain around a campfire, singing secrets into the wind. I would never suggest that a young whipper snapper offer to buy that bottle. 

When Montana Bob sold his house in AZ, one of the things he sold with the house was a map and info on every patch he had found or worked.  The guy that bought his place cared nothing about the house and primarily wanted the map and list. .

Interesting story El D
Montana Bob and I used to swap stories and show off some recent gold finds over a beer at the Congress area bars, and rub elbows with him in some patches around Rich Hill,Quartzite and Peoples Valley when he wasn't hunting in Australia.
We traded some minor patches from time to time almost like baseball cards trying to out nuggetshoot one and other. :D          It was a bit of a game as I was for the most part back then a lone wolf hunter as was he, sharing some patches wasn't an issue as far as partners. but I never shared patches I found with a partner or got invited into.
it seems most of the pro hunters have their own rules and some of the patches I found already had detector holes, can I share those?
AzNuggetBob

8 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

it seems most of the pro hunters have their own rules and some of the patches I found already had detector holes, can I share those?
AzNuggetBob

This is exactly one of the reasons why I invented the 12 foot pole..

The answer has to be no..
As a person who doesn't live anywhere near any sort of gold deposit, you'd think I'd absolutely want that type of information.. However, even knowing the patch is on public lands and not someone's claim, being given information to a patch's location doesn't even begin to feel right to me.. Being lead to it by another detectorist is one thing; being told where it is is a totally different story..

It also isn't the same as telling someone there's definitely gold in Creek A between Town B and C.. To me, this is alright.. But nugget patches, nuh-uh.. My thoughts only, of course..

Swamp

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

However, even knowing the patch is on public lands and not someone's claim, being given information to a patch's location doesn't even begin to feel right to me..

I would think if you sold the info on the patch and it is on public land, unclaimed, it would not remain so for long.  It would also just invite people to go to the geo-coord without regard to land status both state/BLM/NFS land management and disregard mineral claims all together. 

I borrowed a " Maricopa county / Yavapai county nugget location book" with  supposed nugget finds, at least to a location you could put your finger on a 1:24k map, but these patches did not have what govt agency manages the land or if the land was claimed.  Even if the book had shown claims, the book was over 20 years old.   For that book, it was a borrowed book that I can't remember the name or author, but it was old enough that it did not show on Amazon, google, or e-bay.  Probably published by the author. Came bound in a black plastic spiral binder.

I never did go to any of the sites in that book, but that guy did name a couple of the areas I was looking at as promising geologically, but I never made it out to these areas.

If that or any other nugget location was real, the value has got to be very fleeting as the gold is dug up as people go to these patches.  That, and if the author was less than honest you could spend days, weeks, or months searching for areas that do not contain any gold.

20 year old spiral bound book sounds like Rod Johnson, just a guess. 

Its always been my personal preference but, I think its much more satisfying to find your own patches and spots as opposed to caring about what others have done. Finding your own can mean not only a sense of personal accomplishment but far greater nugget rewards. Reasearch is a key factor in success no doubt but, spending hours and days with your boots on the ground is where your knowledge will really grow. And never forget that gold does not just follow geologic rules, it doesn't. Its not what already has been discovered that holds the greatest rewards, its what never has been discovered that does. 

Patches are best when discovered new. Sure old ones can keep giving up nuggets for years with technology advances and good old fashioned digging but in many respects, the law of diminishing returns comes into play. 

2 hours ago, Rod said:

Gold does not just follow geologic rules, it doesn't.

I'm starting to think gold always follow rules, but doesn't tell us all its rules and once in a while changes them.  I know a couple people like that.

3 hours ago, Rod said:

20 year old spiral bound book sounds like Rod Johnson, just a guess. 

Its always been my personal preference but, I think its much more satisfying to find your own patches and spots as opposed to caring about what others have done. Finding your own can mean not only a sense of personal accomplishment but far greater nugget rewards. Reasearch is a key factor in success no doubt but, spending hours and days with your boots on the ground is where your knowledge will really grow. And never forget that gold does not just follow geologic rules, it doesn't. Its not what already has been discovered that holds the greatest rewards, its what never has been discovered that does. 

Patches are best when discovered new. Sure old ones can keep giving up nuggets for years with technology advances and good old fashioned digging but in many respects, the law of diminishing returns comes into play. 

I picked up that book on eBay a little while back. My expectations were low but my curiosity got the better of me and I ended up paying about double the cover price :arrowheadsmiley:

As I suspected the book was a joke, the "Secret Yavapai Nugget Patch" is now a big commercial placer mine you can see on Google Earth. However I love any and everything related to Arizona placer gold so I don't regret purchasing it. Just another arrow in the quiver if I'm up north somewhere and feel like looking up some really (really) beat up old gold nugget patches. If anything, if you know where gold was found before you can look for similar conditions elsewhere and try to find an undiscovered patch.

4 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'm starting to think gold always follow rules, but doesn't tell us all its rules and once in a while changes them.  I know a couple people like that.

Yep... That description fits my boss perfectly! Haha  :ROFL:

Hey Bob, maybe it's time to refresh your old $50 map ... Think most on here never heard ... I did my best to clean up behind you on those spots, but you sure got it cleaned up pretty good ... Still, couple of oz over the years was fun! ... Cheers, Unc

I've thought a lot about this.  I don't have a lot of patch areas as I have not been doing nugget shooting even a fraction of the time as many of the people in this room.  To me, working somebody's patch would feel like stealing.  My prospecting partner feels the same way.   In areas I've found gold, he feels a little guilty at hunting the area.   But we're partners and I tell him where I got my nuggets so he can learn as well as me what that area looks like.  And when he does find a nugget in "my area", it's a wakeup call that my technique is getting sloppy or I am getting lazy and not covering the area correctly.  In the end it helps me find more gold.  It *is* really hard when you have nobody to learn from.  But just giving out coordinates is not going to help them become a better prospector.  I think this is the end goal. 

To me, a more valuable venture than taking somebody's gps coordinates, would be to nugget hunt new areas with other people and slowly learn and share information on geology, or detecting techniques.  I plan on making more of an effort to do this when it gets cooler out again. 

Yeah....   I agree with you Andy.

One thing I've thought:  If there was a way to know where the 'old patches' were....   Just so I don't waste my time there.

I'm not swinging the latest, greatest...     and I've got a ways to go on experience.

I figure, virgin ground is my best bet.

Just got to find some.   :idunno:

:4chsmu1:

Luke

Well stay away from Rich Hill, Quartzsite, Gold Basin and Greaterville guys cuz some oldtimers back in the 1800s found some gold there. Don't wanna feel all guilty and steal from them :4chsmu1:

But seriously if you've ever hunted any old diggings or tailings piles you were in a patch! Those oldtimers already did all the hard work and found where the gold was. There might be gold five miles away to the north, south, east and west of some old handstacks, potholes and drywash piles but in that particular spot there was (and still probably is) some gold to be found. That's without a doubt a patch.

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

One thing I've thought:  If there was a way to know where the 'old patches' were....   Just so I don't waste my time there.

I guess what I was trying to say is more along the lines of...

There are several guys here on this forum and others, who have been using metal detectors to find gold for the last 10-20 years.  They've gone to particular pieces of ground over and over again with every detector that's come out since then.  Some of these places are 'common knowledge' to these 'old timers'.  They frequently mention such places in conversations on this forum.  They know where they are talking about, the newer detectorists have no clue. 

Often times when I go to a likely looking spot and spend the day digging up not much and no gold.  I walk away wondering if maybe I was just the last guy to the party and the punch is all gone.  Or maybe another way to look at it would be....  Did I walk farther than the last guy?

It's all a big mystery.  But hey, isn't that the nature of prospecting ?

Thanks  :D

Interesting topic and yes I know many places few others know as well as some no one else hunts, but still hunt them when I get the chance so giving them up is not something I want to do after countless hours learning where these areas are. I do however freely share the knowledge to do the research required to find these type of areas and feel good about helping in that manner. Selling maps? Nope likely will also take what I know to the grave leaving the prize for those willing to earn it....

51 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I guess what I was trying to say is more along the lines of...

There are several guys here on this forum and others, who have been using metal detectors to find gold for the last 10-20 years.  They've gone to particular pieces of ground over and over again with every detector that's come out since then.  Some of these places are 'common knowledge' to these 'old timers'.  They frequently mention such places in conversations on this forum.  They know where they are talking about, the newer detectorists have no clue. 

Often times when I go to a likely looking spot and spend the day digging up not much and no gold.  I walk away wondering if maybe I was just the last guy to the party and the punch is all gone.  Or maybe another way to look at it would be....  Did I walk farther than the last guy?

It's all a big mystery.  But hey, isn't that the nature of prospecting ?

Thanks  :D

Got to remember Luke......even if its been hit before, there is still gold there. The last monsoon may have moved 2 feet of overburden and its now bare bedrock. A coil is only so big, was it a PI? A VLF?  How good was the guy? 
Did he hit this bench? or this side of the hill?

Was in a spot last Sun. Saw some digs in a small trib up on the side. Detected it anyway. Got a lot more junk out of it that a person should not have missed.

A few months ago I revisited Owl wash and in one spot that I had popped a couple of 1 grammers there was probably 3 dig holes. At first I was....did I miss something here? Thinking back, I gridded that area, dug it out and used the GB2 on it. It is also loaded with ironstone. The poor guy was digging rocks! :)

So, just keep hitting them and think outside the box on where to put that coil :)
Tom H.

Archived