Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX 4500 settings HELP

TWHaz

Anyone have settings that work well in the Little San Domingo wash area.

I tried a spot today with tons of hot rocks and could not get the Machine to settle down.I would Ground Balance it , sometimes it would settle down, then go nuts when i start swinging (slow). Tried Tracking and Fixed. I changed timings, Lowered gain (6), adjusted stabilizer up and down, tried all three tracking speeds. Made adjustments one at a time. Tried high Mineral setting Salt, Sens Smooth, Normal etc. Checked connections etc. :idunno:

I have the Commander Mono coil that came with the 4500 package on it. Maybe the DD coil would be a better choice? 

I am new to the PI machine and would like to be able to work areas with hot rocks. I had no problems in the Rich Hill area. 

Thanks in advance.:head:

I've only owned a GP Extreme and now a 5000 so I can't say from experience about the 4500 but I do know they are one stable machine. Is it possible that your coil or your power cord is going bad on you? Just curious to see if you happened to change them out to see if they are the issue. I know them 2 items will give you major issues if they start going bad. 

Dan

I have a 5000, but one thing I noticed on my 14" coil is that when you're in the really hot areas, I have to be a little more diligent about keeping the top of my coil clean.  Not sparkling, just be sure to brush off the dirt, if you're the type that sometimes dumps your dirt on top of the coil.  The second thing (only that I've heard of) is that you can get dirt in the coil cover.  Might want to check this as well.  Maybe more telling, does this happen on any of your other mono coils.  If it's happening on both coils then I would go with Dan's suggestions.

Go back to your manual and learn how to do a special ground balance.  That has sometimes helped me in that situation.  Bill also sells a neat little device that really stabilizes the coil wire where it goes into the control box... that is a spot prone to making issues

Thanks for all the help.:thumbsupanim

El Dorado, i did the Special balance as suggested.

Andy, I pulled the Cover off just to make sure it was clean.

Nugget108, Ahorton, that was the first thing I checked. They were OK as far as i could tell.

I took it out and played with the Sensitive extra and Smooth settings. Better results. Tried the Gain 6 to 11. The adjusted the Stabilizer till the threshold was smooth. worked way better. Detected around, In a few spots i had to increase Tracking. Ran on Slow and extra Slow

At the end of the hunt, I put it in High Mineral with factory settings. Everything worked today,just fine for the hot ground I was in. Found lots of trash, at least I cleaned it up a bit for the next detector. I still want to try the DD coil when it gets back from Minelab.

Now i need to put some gold under it. :head:

McGump may have it right about the F-22s 

One thing I find when all else fails is to consider your swing speed. As trial and error has taught me I find many times I swing way too fast and many others swing much faster than me. SLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWW DOWN! I have used sensitivity down in the 3 and 4 range on occasion as well ... I think Bill S. would confirm that one with me as I learned it from listening to his talks at the gold shows. And if that doesn't help try another Mono ... getting the same response on the second mono coil confirms that the fist mono is probably OK ... now switch to a DD coil and you should be a happy camper. But I will repeat and can't say it enough it seems ... slow the swing speed way down and if you think you are slowed down enough slow it a little more! It is that important!

Mike F

3 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

One thing I find when all else fails...

Mike F

Totally agree, Mike..
In this instance though methinks Mac nailed it, confirmed following day by TWHaz..

Swamp

Archived