Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab Xterra 705 vs Minelab E-trac

Hi 

Am looking for another all purpose detector. Has anyone had the opportunity to field test these two detectors side by side? Would like to hear your  opinions and recommendations with regards to the coils.

Thanks

• I have the 705 and an Explorer XS , both are killer on coins....I am waiting for a 3khz coil for my 705 .
  • I have a 18,75 kHz 10x 5 coil and the 6" coil.....both are great.
  • My explorer has stock coil and a 5inch coil....both work great on coins.
  • There are lots of choices for coils for either machine and a lot depends of where and what ya hunt for.
  • When I go hunting I find I reach for the 705 most of the time......what ever you choose make sure to learn the machine.
  • Like 2

This is tough.  I started out wanting a detector to do both (hunt for gold and relics).  My first detector was the 705.  But the more I read on this site, the more it gave me the gold fever.  And I hadn't even found gold, yet.  :idunno:Many times out beeping I would just get frustrated with all of the noise in the gold fields and hot rocks that you'd get on the vlf (705) machine.  Hot grounds in the gold fields require you to turn the sensitivity way down and you're going to hear hot rocks all day long.  I never found gold, but a lot of people on this forum have found gold with the 705.  I switched to a GPX and found gold not too long after.    My friend stuck with his 705 another year before giving up and upgrading to a GPX Pulse Induction machine.  He has also now found gold.

I know I am not answering your question but I really don't think you should look for a machine to do both.   If I could go back in time and give myself a message it would be not to do both but study up for one or the other and save up money for a fairly decent machine.  The other thing I would tell my younger self is to get my butt out to the gold fields in '90s or earlier before the guys on this forum found the easy stuff :) 

• Like 3

Hi if your wanting to beep for nuggets and coins then I would go with the 705 as you have a choice of frequencies to beep with by simply switching out a coil-for gold I would use the 18.75 Khz coil as it will hit better on small gold and for coins and relics either the mid or low frequency coils will do-The Etrac and explorer series are great on deep silver and great at the beaches but suck on lower conductors such as gold and such in hot ground :idunno:so it all depends what you want-there is no perfect do all beeper yet-but maybe one of these days----:Just_Cuz_06: Mike C...:200: PS as Andy stated if you ever decide to just beep for nuggets then get yourself a minelab PI which at the moment has no equal when it comes to gold :arrowheadsmiley:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Andyy said:

The other thing I would tell my younger self is to get my butt out to the gold fields in '90s or earlier before the guys on this forum found the easy stuff :) 

I did quite well during the 90's but wish I had started in the 70's. Those guys made a killing. The early bird really does get the worm.

Ya the gold was easier back In the 70-80-90S. too many books led you to the best known gold because they named areas known at that time. these days you may want to learn about the source, not the found gold. geology.
There are still a few new good books that will teach you most of what you need to know or you can hire an experienced hunter/prospector/geologist to learn what to look for to find gold. I have friends that are finding patches they just don't talk about it on the forums.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

Morlock 

I would'nt say "go where no man has gone before" But where no man has detected would be a plus. The old timers missed a lot. sure glad they didnt have metal detectors. :thumbsupanim AzNuggetBob

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Out with me 705 over the weekend, was getting too many hot rocks to continue. All over the claim in the Wickenburg area, no matter how I set it up, too much of a signal.  I gave up when I saw I had swung over a 22 shell and was not able to discriminate that from background noise.  I don't know if I need to send it back to the factory to be worked on, but sometimes, usually right after it rains in the Little San Domingo area, too much feedback to use it.  Not familiar with the E-Trac.

• Like 2

Chrisski,

The goldbug runs hot also after a rain. Even in low mineralized ground after a rain, it chatters and seems to hit on everything. The rain intensifies the minerals. Just my experience. We have a spot up here where we hunt for gold and coins that is so mineralized that we can't touch it with the 705 or the goldbug. You might be in some ground that a VLF just can't handle. Good luck.

Dan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Chrisski,

rain intensifies the minerals. 

Dan

Because of increased grounding of the ground due to nitrates/sulfates falling in the rain, as well as soil "salts" becoming wet and grounding better- which allows the(VLF type) detector to pick it all up? 

Just a guess, recall reading that in poorly grounded soils(  think sands)-which doesn't help  a radio antenna ( or a beeper coil)  to RX/TX-- salt water can be drenched in the area of a ground rod installation.  

" Real-world soils owe their conductivity to two major effects: the soil's wetness and its relative content of available ionic salts to function as a conductive electrolyte in solution. Soil conductivity can be poor either because of low concentrations of these salts, or dry conditions where there exist no solvent medium for the transport of the ionic charges, and hence, electric currents. "

radio grounding

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Chrisski,

The goldbug runs hot also after a rain. Even in low mineralized ground after a rain, it chatters and seems to hit on everything. The rain intensifies the minerals. Just my experience. We have a spot up here where we hunt for gold and coins that is so mineralized that we can't touch it with the 705 or the goldbug. You might be in some ground that a VLF just can't handle. Good luck.

Dan

You are correct Dan and the PI also gets better when the ground is damp, not wet, damp. If it rains hard let it dry for a day or two and hit it. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

I remember years ago some guy was selling a set up that allowed detectors to go deeper in known patches. I'm sure some of you know can stick a copper rod into the ground and hook up battery on it to get the worms to come to the surface for fishing. This is the same principle but different purpose. He was offering 4 heavy duty rods with the wiring. All you had to was drive your rods into the ground in a square pattern x number of feet apart, connect the wiring,then hook up to your car battery. Then start detecting. Of course it was supposed to work much better if the ground was damp. 

I never tried it and was dubious as to whether it would work or not. Wonder if someone here did try it.

My guess is it was to increase the conductivity of the gold so it would be easier to detect and thereby being able to go deeper with the your detector. I only saw the ad but never used it. It kind of makes sense... theoretically. Whether it actually works is another thing.

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

My guess is it was to increase the conductivity of the gold so it would be easier to detect and thereby being able to go deeper with the your detector. I only saw the ad but never used it. It kind of makes sense... theoretically. Whether it actually works is another thing.

I think compass had something like that many years ago they called the gold cross which electrified the metallic objects in the ground and made them easier to beep :idunno: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Some say that after a lightning storm it charges up the nuggets? all I know is that after a good storm and rain I find more gold in well hunted areas.
So maybe there is something to that charging the ground?. AzNuggetBob

8 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Some say that after a lightning storm it charges up the nuggets? all I know is that after a good storm and rain I find more gold in well hunted areas.
So maybe there is something to that charging the ground?. AzNuggetBob

Bob are you saying that you do better after a rain storm that has lighting compared to when it just rains and there's no lighting?

Au Seeker

Most of the rain we get here in Az. comes with lightning. AzNuggetBob

Bob I understand that, but I was trying to definitively determine if the lighting was really a factor for better detection or is it just the wetting of the soil which as most know and or has stated is usually a factor of better detection.

Au Seeker/Skip

It goes well beyond that. look at some of my theories in Where does gold come from thread.

AzNuggetBob

3 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Bob I understand that, but I was trying to definitively determine if the lighting was really a factor for better detection or is it just the wetting of the soil which as most know and or has stated is usually a factor of better detection.

Personally I think it's just the wetting of the soil. Lightning would only charge the ground temporarily and would dissipate instantly. The only way to keep the ground charged would be using the set up I described previously. But I don't know if that works or not. As I stated before... theoretically it sounds great. This is imho.

I am thinking of charging the ground. I have a spare car battery, jumper cables and wiring, and just need grounding rods.

Could be a good experiment at the claim.