Nugget Shooter Forums

ID on this high conductive rock / find

Hi people 

i found this with my fisher f75 ltd . It was on a sand island in the bush land and was 30-40cm down. It reads ID 85 and has a screaming high time . It was encrusted (some crust remains very solid) I removed some if the crust to is it easier . From the outside looks as though it's a rock but when scratched it's shiny inside (both sides have been scratched and reveal the same shiny metal ) . When tapped with a with a metal object it's pings quite high unlike lead or stone is dull sounding so I don't think it's a rock or lead . And it's not magnetic . It's is heavy weighing 106.5grams compared to other rocks same size weighs double .

Is it some kind if primitive tool that's weathered and collected crust over a long period of time ? I can't find anything else like it in the internet . And it looks as though it was shaped this way for a reason . Any insight would be welcome and I'm all ears . 

The top side looks like it's been through heat and molten (smooth ) the other side is rough and not smooth . Both side scratch shiny metal underneath . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Secular Hematite with rock matrix? 

Is it possible to expose a fresh surface and obtain a clear pic of the fresh surface?

It reminds me of encrusted metals I've found along the ocean and lower salinity ocean-accessable rivers.. Never seen anything like that from fresh water.. About half of what I've come across have been iron, the remainder being other metals I've never tried to identify..

Since you say it's shiny beneath scratches, do you think the entire underneath is metal..? If so, I'd soak it in let's say a bucket or tub of some sort other than metal or glass, meaning probably plastic.. Any kind of water is ok.. Just get it good n wet again, then begin pounding on it with a rock, not a hammer or anything else metal.. The encrustments will begin to break off n fall away.. Some smaller 'stuck' pieces you can usually pop off with your thumb nail.. The surface will most likely have an orange-brown through black oxidized layer(s) on it, so prepare for your hands / fingers to get good n stained.. Kind of hard to wash off your skin too. A cheap pair of non vinyl / rubber gloves you can toss (or wash) afterward would probably help prevent the staining, or as bad a staining, to your skin..

If you believe it to be totally metal within, there's no reason to leave the encrustment in place -- so may as well get rid of it to have a better look..

Also, although I've found encrusted metal objects in sand, they've never had 'that' kind of encrustment, unless of course what you're calling sand is actually now high-and-dry ocean bed.. The object can't encrust with those types of materials unless they are there to begin with, in which case I can see rain being the catalyst.. If where you found it is really just sand, short of someone finding the object somewhere else then losing it there is to me the only feasable explaination for where you found it..

And sorry I can't give you any "hit" numbers beyond lo-hi or hi-lo.. All I ever found were with an one-tone-only PI, so it's a dig everything scenario if ya want to know for sure what ya just beeped..

FWIW..

Swamp..

My initial thought was it looked like a fishing downrigger weight..... And maybe it is. Maybe the rusty crusty on it is giving your detector a false high tone/reading.

1463171645674-1349598856.jpg

Thank you for the replies and time taken . 

Before I started bashing it to remove the crust age I have someone taking a look at it in the coming weeks who thinks it may be an axe head of some kind (aboriginal ) . 

It was found on an island by the coastland of Australia known to have had heavy aboriginal inhabitants . So it might be some kind of tool or weapon . As the tribe there were known to have tomahawks .

to become encrusted like it has would have taken a long long time I imagine ? As I've found musket balls 1810 that are still smooth lead and not encrusted ( in the same dandy area ) . It was found near an old path leading into the bush from the sandy beach ( harder more compressed sand ) but still easy to dig . 

This sample has a very strong resemblance to a shark tooth.  Maybe it's a natural cast of a shark like the "Weasel Shark" that has impure hematite as the infilling material.  That would account for the shape, location, lack of details and confusing mineralogy.  Shark Tooth