Nugget Shooter Forums

Rock I found high conductivity

It's my first post and hopefully not my last . 

I found this with my metal detector. On an island mostly consisting over sand (no other rocks in the area) it was inland in the bush quite deep and encrusted with black like crust ) . I have a fisher f75td and this rock ID is solid 85 which is very high compared to what I'm used to finding . 

Some people tell me it's a meteorite others have suggested an indigenous native tool and others have suggested a rock . 

I have scratched it in two place on either side and it reveals a shiny metallic like that of silver , it's not magnetic but it is definitely some kind of metal . 

Its too hard to be lead ( lead ID is 55) and had a high pitch sound when tapped with another metal object . 

What is it ? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know didly about  meteorites, but those that do  always suggest to file a window (into it )to see how it looks  with a " flat" that exposes the inside.

WHat happens with a magnet?

Not meteorite person, but reminds me of stuff I'd find along a beach.  I've found 50 year old metal completely encrusted with either coral, limestone, or natural concretions in the tide line.   Only difference was the color was a light brown for mine and yours is nearly black.

7 hours ago, chrisski said:

WHat happens with a magnet?

Not meteorite person, but reminds me of stuff I'd find along a beach.  I've found 50 year old metal completely encrusted with either coral, limestone, or natural concretions in the tide line.   Only difference was the color was a light brown for mine and yours is nearly black.

Nothing happens with a magnet . It's heavy for it's size weighing 106grams . So it is some type of metal with a rock like outta appearance . But undies when scratched is silver . Could this be a Chunk of very old silver encrusted ? Or is that well off . It's not iron . The shape of it looks as though it was used as a tomahawk . One flat side and the other pointy. , the long thin tail used as the support on the Reid/stick . 

Its got me puzzled . 

Definitely not a piece if igneous rock ? 

• 2 weeks later...