Nugget Shooter Forums

Who detects in Greaterville?

Just curious if anyone in the forum detects in Greaterville? I spend allot of time out there and always wonder how many people on the forum spend time down there since I don't see many posts about that area? 

never been. I'm curious too.

• Like 1

If you search Greaterville up top, there are some threads on this.  Although not a day prospecting trip for me, I'd kind of like to make it out South of Tuscon someday.

You can find me down there. I usually get the skunk but sometimes I find gold. Tough place to hunt. Usually I just leave with a pocketful of boot tacks I dug outta deep holes.

Found a pair of rotted away shoes the other day about a foot down in an old drywash pile :arrowheadsmiley:

Thanks for the replies,

I had to laugh at Mike C's comment, the chiggers do get pretty thick during monsoon. I try and spend one to two days a week out there since it's close by. I do pretty good dry washing and running a recirculating slice. Trying to crack the code on finding a nugget with my GP3500. Been finding a pile of boot tacks and deeply buried horse shoes. I don't run into many people down here but when I do I always wonder if there on this forum as well.

If you dig enough trash eventually you'll find a treasure. Took me about a year or two, on and off, to find my first nugget down there.

When the weather's nice or I've got time off work I'll be down there once or twice a week too. Nice camping there as well. 

I having been detecting Greaterville since I got into this hobby about 10 years ago. I like Greaterville for that reason you don't see many people and for those of us who hunt in Southern Arizona know there is less illegal traffic in the area compared to Arivaca or the Serrita areas. I detect alone now since the kids abandoned me (teenagers) a few years back, so I don't like to see anyone.

Desert Pilots I have about the same luck. Just when I think I have an area cleared of all the boot tacks and trash I find another one.... Some days I'm happy to find s few shotgun pellets knowing that my machine is running right and if I get near a piece of gold it's mine.

Lots of hot rocks some areas the gold is so small you don't know it's gold for sure until you have it on your coil. It is definitely a puzzle and I'm always a little jealous of the guys to our north. The up side is it is some of the nicest country in the state 5,500 ft elevation, we can still hit it in the dead of summer and when the rains come that is even better. 

20150719_135301.jpg

1 hour ago, fishing8046 said:

I having been detecting Greaterville since I got into this hobby about 10 years ago...

When I originally was going to reply to this thread last evening, Mike C's was the last comment -- a comment I found funny in a perverse kind of way, it being insult added to injury n all that.. Sorry, Mike..:4chsmu1:

Since then a few of you who actually hunt Greaterville have commented, which is a GOOD thing, incidentally..

The one time we tried getting to the Greaterville claims grouping we never made it.. Well, we did make it as far as the " Y " at the Friendship claim, but that was where we gave it up n turned around.. Although I'm sure the road was in great shape for vehicles set up for those conditions, it was not a pleasant experience in a van with highway 'heavy duty' shocks and standard suspension.. I noted this in another thread a few months back..

What wasn't noted though is we knew going in any gold would be very fine, would more likely be hard rock than placer and nuggets would be few and far between.. Where, how and/or from whom we accumulated this information I couldn't tell you today.. It certainly isn't mentioned in the GPAA claims guide..

I suppose we wanted to see the area as much as anything, since we understood it could be really beautiful there at times as fishing8046's photo cuncur's.. We weren't set up for either true hard rock mining or dry washing prospecting, and upon recent re-examination of the road's remainder it's probably a good thing we bailed when we did, as conditions deteriorate the further one gets back into the hills..

The point to this post is: given the information and equipment we had, I would have been looking for pocket gold.. So, to those of you who do hunt there, is this a feasable possibility or would it have been an over reach..? No one has mentioned it.. But then again, I suppose if there is pocket gold up there I wouldn't have mentioned it either, same as I wouldn't mention it in reply to my query theory, assuming it is correct.. Too bad, sure would like to know.. And if this gives those of you who do hunt there inspiration to try a different kind of search, all the better..!

Swamp

There's some hardrock mines in the area, I believe there was a pretty big silver mine nearby in the old days. Don't know what the situation down there is with gold hardrock mines. I'm sure there was a few in the old days. There aren't any huge ones down there like the Octave at Rich Hill or anything tho. Placer mining was the major thing down there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

There's some hardrock mines in the area,..

Thanks..
Didn't mean big operations though.. If anything more like very localized vein-chasin' or pry-barin', stuff like that..

Swamp

I once read the a 1/4" gold vein 10' long would be about 2 pounds of gold....... Think about it that's a very small area with a very big pay out

I'm in please send the possible location

In the picture I posted, in the left hand corner is a small hard rock exposure they worked years and years ago. Maybe 10' across 3' deep maybe they found a little pocket?

19 hours ago, Tortuga said:

You can find me down there. I usually get the skunk but sometimes I find gold. Tough place to hunt. Usually I just leave with a pocketful of boot tacks I dug outta deep holes.

Found a pair of rotted away shoes the other day about a foot down in an old drywash pile :arrowheadsmiley:

Thats funny...Last week I found a wash that a boot rotted away in. Found all the metal pieces from it! Very small trib on the side of a hill. Go figure.

Tom H.

I wouldn't doubt there are some small scattered veins close to Granite Mountain. When I'm sluicing near that mountain I find gold with quartz attached.Also allot of the washes that are not associated with Granite Mountain do have iron stained quartz so not all the gold is coming from that mountain. Been doing a ton of reading on the geology of Greaterville and would like to find some ground for a lode claim and do some small scale mining at some point.   

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 1

Yeah I seriously doubt all the gold came from Granite Mountain. An author of one of the old journals said he didn't think any of it came from there. 

The whole area is just highly mineralized and filled with stringer veins. Whatever heated the rock way down below to create Granite Mountain was also heating all the gold-bearing fluids down below and brought them up to the surface through small faults.

I've got nuggets from there that are water-worn, rough and crystalline, some with quartz attached and some gold-quartz specimens. Some are buttery yellow and others more silvery looking. 

• Like 3

Sounds like a place I gotta check out !!

Luke,

Greaterville is nice during the summer months. I really like detecting during monsoon in the mornings down there and there is some nice camp spots as well.

• Like 1