Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywasher efficiency

So the last several trips I've taken have been sampling missions in preparation for next fall.  Well weekend before last i went to spot that I knew would produce and I brought home 5, 2 gallon buckets of good bedrock dirt.  I ran it through my drywasher at home and came up with an estimated .15 g of gold.  I didn't weigh it just eyeballed it.   This last weekend since I was home all weekend I pain stakingly screened all my tailings to 1/8" and ran em through the gold cube.  I screened it dry because no matter how much I want it to my drywasher will never be able to wash the gravel, I just wanted to see whats coming out the end of the box dry.  After running the tailings I screened the new cons to -20,-40,-70,-140.  The end result was one flake that was between 40 and 70 mesh and 7 -70 flakes.  It's too small to weigh on any scale I have but I'm estimating at least 95 percent  recovery.  Had I ran all of it wet the results would be different because the area has some sticky red clay but I'm confident that I'm catching just about all the gold that can be caught in a drywasher.  Now I just gotta speed the thing up some since my fan weight is a little light im not getting enough shaking to run it full bore.    When boulderdash and adam claim 95 percent plus from their keenes I don't doubt it one bit. In my oppinion the drywasher is simply the right tool for the job in the arid deserts.  Not to mention im kinda proud since I made it myself haha.

That's awesome for any recovery system ESPECIALLY a drywasher.

Constant flow offset elliptical vibrations rock my world and increases fines retention at least 10 fold :yesss:. One of my ol' desert ratz sayings was "Ifn' I gotta eat and breathe dirt I want ALL the gold.-John

I seem to have what I consider good retention, but usually not 95%.  I'm guessing between 80% and 90%.  Regardless, there's no way to move a huge amount of dirt without a drywasher when you're no where near a water source large enough for an operation.  That 20% that's loss on a bad day is not worth the extra effort it would take to get it by running tailings through the washer again compared to moving new dirt.  If I was getting ounces or pounds instead of grams, the math would sure be different.

I take my the cons after every 5 to 10 buckets and put them in a bucket.  If I have a good sized bucket of cons, I will take the cons and run them through the drywasher to become a "superconcentrate."  I've only seen the riffles completely filled with black sand once, but if I saw that again, I'd dump the cons into the bucket it at that point.

I only mention that because I think there's probably some point where the riffles get too full of black sand and the heavies just slide across it instead of sinking into the riffles.