Nugget Shooter Forums

new area....old junk..

TomH

Hey all:
 Got out with Dad today and hit some new areas on the outskirts of old areas we have found gold in before.

Awesome weather for detecting today. Cool. breezy...ok...really windy by 2 but it was still nice.

Hit some washes that looked really good. Nice to be in washes no one has hit before.....as you can see :)   

Need help ID...ing the old shell casing.  No stamping s on the back side. No center primer. some slight marks to look like it was a rim fire. There is a small dimple in the middle of the base.

Made out of copper! MIcs  out at around 5 to 6 hundred thous. 

Didnt find any yellow stuff but the good Lord blessed us with a really nice day....WAYYYYY back in :)
Tom H.

1.jpg

2.jpg

That looks to be an OLD Henry cartridge before they stamped the 'H' in the bottom. Same type of double firing pin strike on the rim. Very old stuff you found there. Bet it was fun.

Dan

15 hours ago, TomH said:

Need help ID...ing the old shell casing.  No stamping s on the back side. No center primer. some slight marks to look like it was a rim fire. There is a small dimple in the middle of the base.

Tom, judging by your photo, it appears to be a .50-70 benet primed cartridge.

Holy crap BB!   Where you been? You detecting anymore?

Thanks for the info guys...........

The base is straight and doesnt have that step like the benet. 

I did look up henrys and it sure looks like one of them.
Tom H

6 hours ago, TomH said:

Holy crap BB!   Where you been? You detecting anymore?

Sporting clays and golf. I'll be back out detecting once summer is over. I can only feed a couple addictions at a time.:idunno:

1 hour ago, azblackbird said:

Sporting clays and golf. I'll be back out detecting once summer is over. I can only feed a couple addictions at a time.:idunno:

Cool beans... lot of the guys were asking what the heck happened to you at the last few outing. 
Glad to know your still swinging...in one way or another. :)
Tom H.

history is golden too!

Archived