Nugget Shooter Forums

Found a backpack full of goodies east of Cleator, AZ

Rod

Yesterday I found this backpack east of Cleator, AZ on the Crown King Road laying on the bridge (Mile Marker 12) over Turkey Creek near the Golden Belt Mine. It has items in it that I am sure are sentimental to the owner, plus a very small amount of money. If anyone can tell me exactly what is in the backpack I will gladly return it to them. If you know the person who lost it feel free to have them contact me via the forums PM system or text at six zero eight - three zero five - four seven six three. 

bpack.jpg

• Like 4

Might be best to bring this by the Yavapai Sheriff's office for lost and found.  So many reasons to be out there, most of them probably prospecting. Also, there's at least three forums this person may go to and may miss it here.

Or........let the Cleator bar know you found it and the contact info. 

Hope it gets back to the owner.

Tom H.

Really did not know about the Cleator bar and yacht club.  I thought Cleator was only a ghost town, and not a community still alive.  I always wondered why a ghost town had an exit on route 17.

Well, I think Cleator is right by Turkey Creek, so I may stop by the yacht club for some "boating" once I finally make it out there.  I'd like to live in a community like that, but my other half would leave me if I went to a place so remote.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I am certain that we actually saw the truck that dropped the backpack a little while before discovery. The truck was pulling a trailer with a quad, cooler and other goodies in it. The trailer was low enough that the backpack would have been damaged if it had been caught under the trailer - if yet another party had lost it. But by the time we found the backpack the other party was was well out of sight and we had no way of knowing where they went. And we were the only two vehicles on the road for at least 15 minutes. The two most probable places they went after losing the backpack are the road to Mayer or the road to I-17 but, speeding down dirt roads in pursuit of them was not a safe decision for us to make. We'll be back up in that area this week and I'll post a note at the Cleator Bar about it, basically the same thing I've shared here. I've also posted it to FaceBook and Craig's List. The truth of the matter is no matter what method we use to try and return the backpack none has a guaranteed outcome. Keep your fingers crossed. 

16 hours ago, Rod said:

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I am certain that we actually saw the truck that dropped the backpack...

This info is helpful, and it now makes a whole lot more sense about the backpack being where it was with a probability of other than a negative outcome for the individual who had been carrying it.. All I could see was lost in desert or kidnapping until now.. Thanks for adding this..

Swamp

7 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

This info is helpful, and it now makes a whole lot more sense about the backpack being where it was with a probability of other than a negative outcome for the individual who had been carrying it.. All I could see was lost in desert or kidnapping until now.. Thanks for adding this..

Swamp

Totally understand your point of view SA. It's easy to lose sight of how unfamiliar others might be of an area that you have been involved with for decades, that's what happened to me here. When I think of the bridge, Cleator and the surrounding area, I know that standing on the bridge there are a few rural houses clearly visible, less than a quarter of a mile away. I would estimate there are 25 houses within three miles of the bridge. Cleator and the area are by no means remote in my book, rather AZ desert rural. And the road gets daily traffic, not a lot, but enough that someone in bad shape would be seen and helped easily. Here's a Google Maps shortlink to Cleator https://goo.gl/maps/6FUh62UicjK2 and an aerial of the bridge below. Bar and Yacht Club http://www.cleatorbarandyachtclub.com/gallery/

tc-bridge.png

Edited by Rod

15 hours ago, Rod said:

And the road gets daily traffic, not a lot, but enough that someone in bad shape would be seen and helped easily.

When you first said you found a backpack laying on the bridge, I never even thought you meant you found it actually "laying on the bridge", as on the roadway itself.. I saw it leaning against the railing, or maybe hanging around a post or something..

This lead me to envision either someone walking across, spotting and saying "Oohhh, look -- shiny object", then taking off the backpack, taking off down the side, then straight down Alice's rabbit hole, meaning falling where they couldn't easily be seen, or, a female walking across, car/truck comes along n snatches her up, tossing her backpack against the railing while doing so..

Just how my mind works, I guess.. Never even considered it falling out or off of a moving vehicle..

Ergo, what AZMark said.. :)

Swamp

I was reviewing my GPAA guide today, and I noticed the Map to the Turkey Creek claim looked a lot like the picture on this thread.  I looked a little bit more and I'm pretty sure the Golden Gobbler Claim is not too far from the bridge.  When I go to the Yacht club, maybe I can spend all the gold I'll get out of Turkey Creek.

• Like 2