Nugget Shooter Forums

GP Extreme vs. Gold Bug 2

Extreme "0", GB2 "3".

I know we are talking apples to oranges here, but I couldn't find crap with the Extreme. Well, I did find crap. A boot tack and a .45 slug.

Then managed to score three nice little nugs with the GB2 at my newest patch yesterday.

I was able to get out for a half day of detecting and took AHorton10's Extreme with me to try and punch through some deeper stuff and hit a hillside to see what I could come up with. I gave the Extreme a fair go. I tried a Joey coil and the 11" commander mono, tuned the machine and fiddled with some settings to see how I liked it. First thing I noticed was this machine is no where as powerful as my old SD2200V2 . While the threshold was way smoother it did not blow my ears off on big targets and did not really seem sensitive no matter which coil was on it or settings I used. With the SD I couldn't have my pick or ring on my hand anywhere near the coil without going deaf from the signal, not so with the Extreme I had to run it in "Deep" and "Sensitive" to even feel close to what my SD could do and I still wasn't happy with it. But the smoother threshold was nicer even in Sensitive mode. I'm actually wondering if there is something wrong with the machine though. I ran it over all the areas I hit with the GB2 and even after placering dirt and just couldn't get it to hit on gold. Luckily the trusty GB2 pulled through for me and got some gold.

I had a good ol' time crawling around on bedrock and was able to speck a bunch of super tiny pieces, the weather was beyond perfect. I turned up one scorpion and avoided being stung by about 5,000 bees and wasp's that where out harvesting the fresh April desert flowers. Thankfully when wearing headphones you cant here all of them buzzing around and making me nervous so I just keep my head down and detect away.

Here's the first nug of the day on bedrock

Bedrock gold.jpg

Heres the total take for yesterday, 3 detected and the rest specked by eye. Good times!

.Take cropped.jpg

• Like 8

Nice! Looks like you got a spot to do some trywashing in also :)
 Good review on the detectors. 

Go geet some more!
Tom H.

Nice gold for sure. I ran my extreme in deep and sensitive all the time. The deep mode made it run quiet. Johnathan Porter has some sweet settings for the extreme and 3000. I set mine to what he ran and it worked great for me. The 8 inch commander coil on that machine is killer. I think if you get your settings right, you will love it. But by no means will it find golden fly poo. The goldbug 2 has the monopoly on that in my opinion haha. 

Dan

• Like 1

Interesting......I have recently obtained an extreme and have run it over some of the gold I have found and it doesn't even squeak at it. That is with the 11" mono.

Now, this is my first PI detector and I have a lot to learn but dang....I thought is would sing a little. I found this gold with the x-terra 70 and I know it is no GB2 but it rang loud and clear for me.

So I don't know if it's me, the detector, the coil, or the gold. I have found plenty of trash and lead out in the field with the extreme so it is working. The gold is I guess you would call, sort of a spongy, electrum kind of nugget....mixed with quartz. Maybe its me, I don't know. I haven't tried it with any other coils yet.

I would like to hear others comments on this.

Thanks for your post "alwaysdirty". Nice gold.

Steve

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spa in nv said:

Interesting......I have recently obtained an extreme and have run it over some of the gold I have found and it doesn't even squeak at it. That is with the 11" mono.

Now, this is my first PI detector and I have a lot to learn but dang....I thought is would sing a little. I found this gold with the x-terra 70 and I know it is no GB2 but it rang loud and clear for me.

So I don't know if it's me, the detector, the coil, or the gold. I have found plenty of trash and lead out in the field with the extreme so it is working. The gold is I guess you would call, sort of a spongy, electrum kind of nugget....mixed with quartz. Maybe its me, I don't know. I haven't tried it with any other coils yet.

I would like to hear others comments on this.

Thanks for your post "alwaysdirty". Nice gold.

Steve

You nailed it-spongy wirey gold is next to invisable to the older PI's :idunno:-and thats where the vlf shines if you can put up with the squaks -squeeks- pips and pops from the ground effects:head:-But  if your cleaning off the bedrock they work quite well but IMO if you do that much work you may as well vacumn and drywash it :nutty: WTG AD-Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

In my experience Mike is right about the older PI's not "seeing" the spongy type gold. With a little time on it, you will be amazed what the extreme will find though. 

9 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

In my experience Mike is right about the older PI's not "seeing" the spongy type gold. With a little time on it, you will be amazed what the extreme will find though. 

I forgot to mention but I had a Gp extreme for a while and found many dinks with it-it is a very capable deeper beeper-try running a DD on it-quiets it down quite well in bad ground and still hits dinks :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

I still had fun with the Extreme and would have probably got the biggest piece of the three with it had I been using a signal amp and/or the 8" commander coil like nugget108 menioned. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Extreme "0", GB2 "3".

I know we are talking apples to oranges here, but I couldn't find crap with the Extreme. Well, I did find crap. A boot tack and a .45 slug.

Then managed to score three nice little nugs with the GB2 at my newest patch yesterday.

I was able to get out for a half day of detecting and took AHorton10's Extreme with me to try and punch through some deeper stuff and hit a hillside to see what I could come up with. I gave the Extreme a fair go. I tried a Joey coil and the 11" commander mono, tuned the machine and fiddled with some settings to see how I liked it. First thing I noticed was this machine is no where as powerful as my old SD2200V2 . While the threshold was way smoother it did not blow my ears off on big targets and did not really seem sensitive no matter which coil was on it or settings I used. With the SD I couldn't have my pick or ring on my hand anywhere near the coil without going deaf from the signal, not so with the Extreme I had to run it in "Deep" and "Sensitive" to even feel close to what my SD could do and I still wasn't happy with it. But the smoother threshold was nicer even in Sensitive mode. I'm actually wondering if there is something wrong with the machine though. I ran it over all the areas I hit with the GB2 and even after placering dirt and just couldn't get it to hit on gold. Luckily the trusty GB2 pulled through for me and got some gold.

I had a good ol' time crawling around on bedrock and was able to speck a bunch of super tiny pieces, the weather was beyond perfect. I turned up one scorpion and avoided being stung by about 5,000 bees and wasp's that where out harvesting the fresh April desert flowers. Thankfully when wearing headphones you cant here all of them buzzing around and making me nervous so I just keep my head down and detect away.

Here's the first nug of the day on bedrock

Bedrock gold.jpg

Heres the total take for yesterday, 3 detected and the rest specked by eye. Good times!

.Take cropped.jpg

It's no surprise that you felt your old 2200V2 was a better machine, because it was ....as they were a marvelous refined unit across the entire manufactured date of them.

Where as the GP Extreme's, with it's newer technology, had as much as 50% duds compared to 50% True Extreme's, that operated as the engineers designed them to.

No admittance on Minelabs part mind you. But they were certainly aware of that fact within a very short time after release.

Those that were stuck with a new dud were well and truly stuck with them.

They got it right across the board with the following 3000 however.

There were always problems from the start of the 2000's, regarding major differences between machines. The change of the two Crystal hertz on the 2000 caused a massive difference when componentry was changed along with it, and quite constantly through it's span. Two units very close in serial numbers were far apart in different aspects of performance.

Component changes, for a host of reasons, was the main culprit though the entire 2100 and 2200d range also. Dud and hot machines were rampant.

The Extreme was the worst though, as a dud unit wasn't just lacking in slight performance, it was miles behind a True Extreme's behavior. And the component problem reared its ugly head yet again.

After a while it was easy to tell a dud without having to actually detect with it, you could tell from a simple audio sample.

I steer people off buying them second hand, and always say the 2200V2 and 3000 are a beaut way to buy a nice, well engineered consistent machine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike C... said:

I forgot to mention but I had a Gp extreme for a while and found many dinks with it-it is a very capable deeper beeper-try running a DD on it-quiets it down quite well in bad ground and still hits dinks :head: Mike C...:200:

Yeah I  put the stock 11" DD on it and what a difference. I could barely hear the nugget I described yesterday and could hear some smaller solid nugs too.

Then I switched to sensitive and even better. Learning......

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Hey Steve put it on deep also if you haven't already. It smooths out that threshold really nicely. 

Dan

• Like 1

Hi Steve the extreme came stock with a nice hard case and 2 black DD coils an 11 and 18 for a reason-The 11 ran pretty smooth on it in nasty ground and hit on the dinks enough to hear them :head: But mono,s hit even hotter on the small stuff-since your now hearing the small stuff with your 11 dd that your mono wasnt hitting on then theres probably something wrong with your mono-try another mono and always run a mono when your ground will allow- for that little bit of an extra edge-if you can try finding a coiltek dd pro coil its a good in between a mono and dd coil-more sensitve than a stock dd but not as sensitive compared to a mono -now go find some gold :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Hi Steve the extreme came stock with a nice hard case and 2 black DD coils an 11 and 18 for a reason-The 11 ran pretty smooth on it in nasty ground and hit on the dinks enough to hear them :head: But mono,s hit even hotter on the small stuff-since your now hearing the small stuff with your 11 dd that your mono wasnt hitting on then theres probably something wrong with your mono-try another mono and always run a mono when your ground will allow- for that little bit of an extra edge-if you can try finding a coiltek dd pro coil its a good in between a mono and dd coil-more sensitve than a stock dd but not as sensitive compared to a mono -now go find some gold :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Ok. I have another smaller mono coil I will try. Thanks again!! 

Steve

Hi steve one more tip for you since your new to the ML PI world-

NEVER--

Turn your detector on without a coil connected to it-and never disconnect the coil when its turned on UNLESS you want to see your beeper SMOKE :th:

Been there did that-:tisk-tisk: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

I'm sure a few people remember the postings about Nugget Finder Coils blowing up (frying circuitry) of GP Extremes - incompatibility. I watched this happen to a friend of mine twice, think Jim P. and even Reno Chris had either first or second hand experience with this. It's been years since this came up so my memory of who may not be precise - other than my friend. A Minelab tech even stated the NF coils were the problem at one point from memory. Now I think NF makes great coils so this post is not a slam against NF in any way but if you have a GP Extreme and want to use a NF coil just remember, it's a gamble. Minelab "upgraded" my friend's Extreme to work with NF coils and he still finds good gold with it today but they no longer service Extremes. Heck my old GP Extreme is still finding after 14 years of use too. Great units but I will only use Coiltek coils with it after seeing the NF issue - recommend a gold old 14 CT orange round mono.

Edited by Rod
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Hey Steve put it on deep also if you haven't already. It smooths out that threshold really nicely. 

Dan

You're right Dan, definitely smooths it out. Thanks

3 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Hi steve one more tip for you since your new to the ML PI world-

NEVER--

Turn your detector on without a coil connected to it-and never disconnect the coil when its turned on UNLESS you want to see your beeper SMOKE :th:

Been there did that-:tisk-tisk: Mike C...:200:

Yeah, I remember reading that in the manual. Thanks for the reminder.

I tried the 6x10 mono on my gold and could definitely hear it. Had it on sensitive and deep. So I thought I would try the 11" mono again with those settings and I could hear the smaller gold,... really faint though. Thanks for all the tips Mike.

2 hours ago, Rod said:

I'm sure a few people remember the postings about Nugget Finder Coils blowing up GP Extremes. I watched this happen to a friend of mine twice, think Jim P. and even Reno Chris had either first or second hand experience with this. It's been years since this came up so my memory of who may not be precise - other than my friend. A Minelab tech even stated the NF coils were the problem at one point from memory. Now I think NF makes great coils so this post is not a slam against NF in any way but if you have a GP Extreme and want to use a NF coil just remember, it's a gamble. Minelab "upgraded" my friend's Extreme to work with NF coils and he still finds good gold with it today but they no longer service Extremes. Heck my old GP Extreme is still finding after 14 years of use too. Great units but I will only use Coiltek coils with it after seeing the NF issue - recommend a gold old 14 CT orange round mono.

That's good to know Rod. I'll stay away from the NF's. Thanks,

Steve