Nugget Shooter Forums

Forum Dissappearing ..??

Uncle Ron

Yo, All... I do have to say that, for a variety of reasons, the forum is just withering away.... This has been a bedrock in the prospecting community but now is fading ... Bummer! ...Forums  operate on the energy, ultimatly,  on the energy of the forum owner an as Bill told me many years ago when I had the main gold forum, when the owner loses interest, the forum will die .... Bummer... What are your thoughts on this observations? .... Cheers, Yer Unc in the
Dubya!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our gold prospecting buddy peeps need to be posting and supporting or it will continue to fade!

Last few weeks of good hunting weather--- folks out getting gold?

I've always been curious about the amount of people that sign up compared to active posters.

New rules, regs, restrictions, closings, monumental monuments takings, wild and scenic closures ,endangered species acts bs and on and on as mining is attacked folks give up........We are having the same problem in the Gem and Mineral community. As the oldies but goodies perish they are not replaced by young blood. Lies on jobs and economy only shows how hard folks are working trying to just keep a roof over their heads, fed and toys maintained. Relax time???? GONE...Question-how many who post are over 55 now. I'll guess 75%+++...John

I think it is nice outside now and folks are taking advantage of it. We got 2 inches of snow yesterday so I hovered over the forum all day long and enjoyed the couch most of the day haha. There are A LOT of members that post here. All great people. I think it's doing OK Uncle Ron. Just my opinion. 

Dan

I've had a hard time lately even getting access to the web. I think I've got it handled now...but shite happens. 

Weather probably does play a role as well. It's been great lately in AZ and folks are out doing stuff. 

I hope this place runs for a long time. I've met some awesome people here and I'm sure others have done the same.

I like the new format. 95% of the time I am using my phone to read it...it's much more mobile friendly now. 

Long live Nuggetshooter:2drink:

I've noticed that the new format has increased the functionality of the site but the 'look' has been one of the causes for fewer posts.  I think some feel challenged now on this and other forums that have switched.

We also have a number of the posters here doing more travel and they have posted less and protected their hunting locations more.

A good smart phone and a connection in the prospecting world will let you read and post anywhere but it is hard to do the research on mobile unfriendly sites.  Most people still do it the 'old' way.

These are not as complete thoughts as I would like to post but I'm on my way to the ICMJ conference and will have to do for now.

Mitchel

I hung out at this website a lot back in 05 and just recently getting back into detecting soon as I'm retiring in May and will finally have the time.  I see a lot of difference now in the site, it has slowed down a lot.  I hang out now at a much more active site most of the time.  As to folks age at this site,I think it's the same at the other site, mostly older guys like myself but it's been much more active and a lot more info about new detecting tools coming out etc.  I hope the site doesn't die, it just needs more folks posting etc but I do think it's getting hard too in this day and age to prospect overall.  Definitely to dredge.  I see also where some states are wanting to take over a lot of the federal lands.  If that happens much I don't think it will fare well for us outdoor folk and it means little to the mass population so we have to make our voice heard.  

Like they say, Just my 2 cents.

Terry 

Well...I am under 55...I post when I can..every time I get a new computer I have to log on with another name...but I have posted way over 600 posts over the years.I also think with 4 sites dedicated to us prospectors we are in some ways stretched.  As you all know most of us are on all the other forums...and those most active like to talk shop. Meaning detectors, coils, reviews,gold, gold and more gold. Personally I have shared some photos in the past, but notice many do not post their finds of fear of their locations being jumped. IMHO.... :)  the more we share....and I don't mean areas we hunt or specific locations....the more you will see people participate. I would like to see more on the new tech coils and from those that have them would love to hear opinions. All that may turn to dollars for dealers....

I was showing this piece around the Prospectors Show today in P'ville. It's still oi\ut there. The wife and I were just wondering if we might see Fred there. Sorry to see you close in Mariposa. Still digging away up north.

525.9.jpg

Well I personally enjoy logging onto the forum every day to see what others have posted.  I took a job out east that I will be finishing in four weeks when I will drive back to Arizona to live full time in the Phoenix valley and have access to the claims and the public land.  I lived in AZ up to about two years ago when I took the job out in NC, and I tried to go back to AZ earlier, but I had to stick to the contract so I’m out east until May.

I’ve managed to make it back to the Phoenix valley about a dozen times since I left, and each time I get there I look forward to going out and getting to my claim.  It’s not just for the color I find, but also for exploring the great outdoors.  I was upset that I missed the outings did not get to meet anyone at the outings, but hopefully I will make the November outing.

I’ve been a part of a couple of other Gold Forums that literally died.  One was the old GPAA forum, which I learned a lot from, but the GPAA just removed the site and all those posts were magically gone.  As far as this site, I don’t have posts per day, but the other forum I go to local to AZ, it rarely has a post per day, kind of depressing.  So this site is much more active.  I can’t vouch for ten years ago, but can vouch as it being my favorite of three forums I follow: two gold, and one PowerStroke forum.

Anyway, keep your posts coming.  They keep me motivated until I can get back to AZ for good and start beeping and moving paydirt.

Ron:
 I agree....If the forum owner is not active. It will die. I had a plating forum for 10 yrs and it got to be too much so I stopped posting...it died.

With the new forum I dont have to reply anymore...I can just hit LIKE.....I dont because I hate doing that.

Also..........ive only gotten two nugs in the last 10 weeks. Posted them, but who wants to hear about my skunks? :)

I also think Facebook/twitter/blibber..ect... has taken over a lot of time in peoples lives. Its more active. I think its sad when I go out and see how many people are disconnected from life and looking down at a "smart" phone.  Fortunately I dont have a cell/smart phone so my time is not eaten up looking at all kinds of things.  

The other forums are kind of dead also.

So...Ron........geet your arss out there...find some gold and post! :) You know were to get it.

Tom H.

Yeh, Tom. I have a dumb phone too! Don't want a phone that's smarter than me. Grubstake

Tracphones work for me, I keep mine off unless, I'm calling someone

Hi Nelson, yeah I shut the shop down...and could not make it up to Placerville for the show. I did attend the Mariposa Gem & Mineral Show At the State Museum. Been hunting regularly down here in the Hornitos area . Hope all is well sound Ike you been busy with mining yourself. Any more of those meteorites found I your area?

I don't post much anymore.  But I am sure some of ya old timers remember me.  I met Bill back when he had the Yahoo forum.  Bill probably remembers when I first met him at Rich Hill.  And I am sure he remembers my old dog "BUCK" when he stole someones elk burger.  And when Red Beard fell and bruised his face up good.  I am sure that Grubby and Uncle Ron remembers me.

Damned right Gary, you still driving truck? I'm not doing much of anything but going to the VA for treatment and taking my wife to her drs.  Buying up guns and ammo, gave up detecting all together. Grubstake

Hey there Uncle Ron.  I can't speak for the masses, but I can tell you what keeps me interested in this forum, more than others.  For me, the whole reason I started watching the forum was for two things:

1) learn from those in the know, who were willing to share (you just can't get enough information from books)

2) to be motivated.  When I see you guys pulling up handfuls of nuggets, out of claims that I hunt on or outside of claims even, it keeps me going and urges me to look harder and learn better.

The people posting make the forums.  The stuff I learn from people posting on the forums is priceless and I very much appreciate this.   Experienced people such as yourself, Bill, AzNuggetBob, Jim Straight ...etc.. all willing to share stories and even little hints once in a while is much appreciated.  Even people with less experience who post their finds and stories really keep me going.  I wish I could meet these people more in the field, too.  But this is hard to do without giving out locations.  The forum bridges these gaps.  

I have noticed things quieting down a bit, too; but hope it is just temporary.  Too many good people to lose contact with.

Reason for it, I think: is people like me that use to post everyday, because I was finding gold almost everyday, but since I got so sick, and my my wife also, I don't even detect anymore. But I still like to see other people that can hunt, post there finds. I'm on the forums everyday, I just don't post everyday. unless I have some good input. Grubstake

I may be new here, but I'm not going anywhere! I'm also not one to be silent when I see misconceptions or misunderstandings, having started a yahoo support group in the past, which I turned over to someone who asked me to start that group in the first place. I passed the torch (when I felt it was time for me to move on) and that group is still going strong.

This time of year undoubtedly keeps our forum owner (Bill) very busy due to speaking engagements at some of the Gold Shows, on top of his regular work schedule and his obligations with his own business. That shouldn't have any effect on the level of activity on this forum - it's up to all of the members to participate, contribute and keep it active. It's Springtime and prospectors here in AZ are busy trying to get in as much time as they can before the Summer heat keeps them from going out there and finding gold. Sure, it's really motivating when I see pics of awesome nuggets that were recently found by our members! Bring them on! You don't need to share specific locations to generate interest, enthusiasm and forum activity. Sometimes just being here or checking in regularly to help answer questions from those who need a little help and guidance is all it takes to keep a forum rockin'.

If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have met the wonderful people I met at the last outing or learned as much as I have about the gear I need in order to be able to hunt for gold safely in the desert environment. Without that, I could just as easily wandered out, been struck by a rattler and dead by now... if not from the bite, maybe from dehydration... The concept of wearing a hydration vest wouldn't have crossed my mind, if I'd never gone to that outing.

So to anyone who thinks this forum is going to disappear... I say BS! Ain't gonna happen as long as there are people who need information about prospecting, nugget shooting, and meteorite hunting - as long as there are people on here who are willing to share and help others. That's my 2 cents worth...

Andyy I agree. I can't speak for everyone but to me there are still a lot of great folks posting great things. And if I have a question on anything it usually gets answered here. What I LOVE the most is the comments from everyone when I post about my kids and I. Most people don't care what a father does with his children these days. But when you have a AWESOME group of folks (All of you here) that encourage what you are doing with your kids and they act interested in what you find, it makes a feller feel good. We all share the same love for the outdoors and finding a little yeller stuff here and there. Let's keep it up everyone, because I know if something were to happen to me, my boys and maybe even my daughters would hang out here for some great advice from all you great folks. 

Dan

10 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Let's keep it up everyone, because I know if something were to happen to me, my boys and maybe even my daughters would hang out here for some great advice from all you great folks.

Exactly, Dan!!! I may be just a shade over the 55+ mark, but my sons went out prospecting with me several times when they were younger and they understand my enthusiasm. Whether or not they chose to pursue prospecting at some point in their lives is their choice. I think it's great that you are sharing prospecting with your kids. It's up to each generation to perpetuate prospecting. With technology making some truly mind-blowing advancements just during my lifetime, and with so much undiscovered gold out there waiting to be found, there is no reason for interest to decline. Feed it and it will continue to grow. :D

i love this place,and i am just getting warmed up lot's of things to learn here and i am very thankful for all the posts, and i hope to have some of my own soon!:thumbsupanim

7 hours ago, GeoJack said:

I was showing this piece around the Prospectors Show today in P'ville. It's still oi\ut there. The wife and I were just wondering if we might see Fred there. Sorry to see you close in Mariposa. Still digging away up north.

525.9.jpg

I was at the show today.  I'm already back in Santa Monica.  I go to those places and don't know anyone (not true any more) that will give information on how to hunt NorCal.  I wish I could have seen that piece.

Mitchel

Archived