Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Forum Dissappearing ..??

I gotta agree with you Unk Ron on some things that we are loosing touch here.  I think that the Facebook and tweeting thing is stealing a lot of attention from our members.  I got involved in Facebook a few years ago and got out of it post haste.  There were more people than I knew wanting to share vacation pictures, personal problems, and stuff I didn't want the world to know about.  This is a forum for gold seekers and adventurers dedicated to helping one another in our quest.  I love spending time here and don't really have time for the other personal ones.  I also have to agree with young Tom on the likes thing, it allows one to escape making a comment on a post.

I noticed also this year that half the folks that signed up on the rooster for the outing also didn't make it.  Artic Dave helped me out on the rooster deal this year so I didn't have to take out a loan.  I hope that those that know Jane and John Boyles can make it at the end of the year to Quartzite for John's birthday celebration. 

Old Tom

Prospecting is truly a hobby for me. I may get out 5 or 6 times a year. I have a very busy schedule with work and other obligations. BUT, when I get on the internet, I check emails and NUGGET SHOOTER and maybe a few u-tube vids. That's pretty much it. This is my go to site on the internet. 

I have gleaned a ton of info off of this website. I thank all those in the know for their insight and knowledge. Like the others, I love this site too and would hate to see it go. I don't post a lot, who wants to see my trash?, but I will try and open up a little and maybe ask a few more questions instead of waiting for someone else to ask. I tend to try and figure things out on my own.:grr01:

Like andyy said, the pictures motivate me. Keep showing your finds.

Steve

• Like 4

I have also noticed, over time, and with very few exceptions, it is usually the same "core group" of folks that will be the ones that post their finds and comments, their adventures, their pictures and their stories to their circle of friends. So I will ask...are new members too busy to post, or not knowing what to say about a post, or is it a fear of not being acknowledged in a constructive way, after they do post or what? I believe that if a forum is to continue to be active, ya got to get folks involved in the topics and feeling like they are or can become a part of the site community.......and that their responses or comments are worth their time to contribute and not something to be "glossed" over and ignored. Then again, the newer members need to post something to get the ball rolling.........       

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GARY SMITH said:

I don't post much anymore.  But I am sure some of ya old timers remember me.  I met Bill back when he had the Yahoo forum.  Bill probably remembers when I first met him at Rich Hill.  And I am sure he remembers my old dog "BUCK" when he stole someones elk burger.  And when Red Beard fell and bruised his face up good.  I am sure that Grubby and Uncle Ron remembers me.

Hi Gary...

I couldn't picture that RedBeard fellow tripping over drunk.

Wasn't it Earl the rodeo bronc rider that accidentally face planted himself at Rich Hill?

Maybe people are losing interest. The fact that Minelab slashed prices tells you something. 

I've got to tell you that this was a great conversation to have.  I check this site at least every other day and have learned so much over the years.

I seldom post on here or other sites but I sure don't want to see it go.  I started metal detecting in 1994 and have found over 50oz.  My largest is 6.45oz. and is shaped like a heart.

I have named it "The Heart of the Big Sky".  It was found in Montana in 2009 while I was developing my placer claim.  Also in the same hole of about 10'x10' 387 nuggets were taken out.  I used  the SD2100 and the Gold Bug II.  That one area of about 50'x30' produced 13.5oz. 

I do a great deal of research in old mining publications and have studied geology until I feel like I recognize likely gold bearing areas with shallower overburden.

If you are not familiar with Public Land for the People or MMAC.org do take a look.  They seem to be on the right track to getting our mining rights back.

I'm on the uphill side of 70yrs old and am slowing a bit but the fire is still in the belly.

Keep posting everyone and we will continue to learn from each other.

Thanks for sharing over the many years,

Bugler

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bugler said:

I've got to tell you that this was a great conversation to have.  I check this site at least every other day and have learned so much over the years.

I seldom post on here or other sites but I sure don't want to see it go.

Thank you, Bugler! Very well said. What I've observed over the last 16 or more years of participating in various online forums is that (in nearly every forum I've ever been involved with) there is usually a large group of members who check in often or periodically, but who are observers and rarely (if ever) post, just like you. On a few forums, we referred to those folks as "silent lurkers." Nothing derogatory intended! It's just that some people prefer to maintain complete anonymity and silence, rather than let their presence be known. On some forums, they were actually a "silent majority" unless something came up in the forum that gave them a strong urge to respond to. Silent lurkers can include members of younger generations who come here to learn, as well as beginner prospectors and retirees beginning a new hobby. To those who are too shy to ask questions, we don't bite! I believe that the only "stupid question" is the question never asked or answered.  All forums tend to quiet down from time-to-time, depending on many factors. Life and/or family should always take priority over forum participation. But if you take your family out prospecting, please post pics or at least share your adventure in writing! :D

• Like 2

Fred, we always have our heads down looking for the black rocks as well. Nothing to report. We always look around Hornitos as we travel through that area and wish we knew some of the property owners out there to get some access. Nice area.

• Like 1

And yet y'all still wonder why I continue to say no, you cannot stay at home by yourselves without a house sitter when I take off metal detecting for the weekend..
Giving credit where credit is due though, at least the place isn't totally trashed, with an empty keg floating in a tub in the middle of the living room and a rock band's equipment still set up in the den..

All kidding aside.. Yes, it 'appears' the forum has slowed down postings-wise.. I personally attribute a great deal of this to the SW US gang getting in prospecting time while the getting is good.. We'll see if that's right or wrong soon enough.. However, if you think this board is slow, you should see the others I check out.. This place is hopping compared to them..! Someone mentioned a livelier board.. I lurk a few, including one that many here post to, but it isn't more happening than here.. So I must not have that one.. It matters not tho, cos this is my go-to board..

There are other factors involved creating board slow-downs, not the least of which these days is social media.. Since I'm not in any sort of self-promotion mode, I have less-than-no-use for places like FarceBook.. If you want my personal info, you're gonna have to work realll hard at trying to get it.. I'm not about to willingly hand it to you, at least not until such time as I stand to gain more than I stand to lose -- which at this point in my life doesn't seem like much of an odd's-on bet.. Doesn't mean I don't keep my options open, tho..

Blah blah blah etc and so forth, but in my humble opinion the most obvious and logical reason bor boards-of-all-types slowdowns is the insidious and constant onslaught by our overloards in their quest for total enslavement of a population.. Of all the things they steal from us, the cumulative result ends up being the stealing of time.. This, to me, is the number one reason postings to subject-specific boards continues to decline.. One can either use the time one does have to persue the subject or talk about the subject.. Finding time to do both has become difficult..

The solution is to keep it (postings) short and sweet, longer if there's time and/or a story to share.. Not posting is not an answer or solution.. What that is is admitting defeat.. And just as with my guitars and weapons and metal detectors, they can have my keyboard when they can pry it from my cold dead hands..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 3

I'm on this site at least one a week. I don't live near much coarse gold but I own a GB Pro.  I love to read the site and dream about putting my detector over gold. Unfortunately I don't have much to post. However, I also follow the Oregon Gold Hunters forum. That site has devolved into a form where actual gold comes up in one of every 100 posts. The rest are political grumblings about how the good old days were the best and the government is out to get us.  I can't read it anymore.

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad I posed the question because of the enthusiasm it brought out from forum members...I'm guilty of not posting nearly so much because I haven't been out since I broke the ribs in my back 14 months ago ... I'm basically a cripple now but hoping the pain subsides so I can start again ... Have not found a nugget since January, 2015!.... Jones'en bad!  .... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I'm glad you started this topic as well Ron, it encouraged some to reply, and many others to check out/read the topic (36 replies and 527 views as of my posting) which shows that the forum is still active, just not as many posting, and as you and ShinyCy stated ya'll haven't out able to get out for finding something worthwhile to talk/write about, I'm guessing that not many others have been able to get out to have something to post about as well.

Where is Bill?  Hoped to raze him about the day my white lab puppy stole the burger.  He was there, but kept neutral.  But gave me a dirty look.:4chsmu1:.  And the time that old JB had to pull me out of a mud hole at Stanton.  And when Mike B up at Gold Basin got about blew out of his pickup one nite when there was very STRONG winds.

ARIZONA 006.jpg

Edited by GARY SMITH

here are more old timer pics

MISC 009.jpg

MISC 011.jpg

MISC 013.jpg

WEll, ROn,  they say ,"the moment you're born, you start to die"...  So it's a given.  

Might as well say the sky is blue:Just_Cuz_06::4chsmu1:

I remember climbing the hill to see the Jackass at Jackass Flats.

MISC 069.jpg

MISC 068.jpg

MISC 070.jpg

MISC 071.jpg

• Like 3

Im a newb prospector and the forum has been a good help with the learning curve over the years. I haven't really posted much since Im still learning. This and other prospecting forums have been a good place to learn techniques and stay motivated. This year is my first year where I felt spun up enough with geology to break away from the club claim scene and sample some ground. It took me three months but I was finally able to crack the code and stake a placer claim. Id like to say thanks to all of you for your posts and will try and make one of the camp outs in the future. 

• Like 4

If most of us are in the 55+ crowd or at least getting close, what would you recommend to get the younger guys and gals involved?  I brought the scouts to Lynx Creek on a camping trip, and one of the leaders and his son went back on their own, and all the scouts enjoyed it, but never really did catch.  I do like the idea of the twice a year nuggetshoter outing, and am really looking forward to the next one.  I'm kind of stuck at ways to tear the younger generation away from the computers and gaming.

I'd like to hear some ideas.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

If most of us are in the 55+ crowd or at least getting close, what would you recommend to get the younger guys and gals involved?  I brought the scouts to Lynx Creek on a camping trip, and one of the leaders and his son went back on their own, and all the scouts enjoyed it, but never really did catch.  I do like the idea of the twice a year nuggetshoter outing, and am really looking forward to the next one.  I'm kind of stuck at ways to tear the younger generation away from the computers and gaming.

I'd like to hear some ideas.

Funny thing gold fever is...

My girl always wants to go out with me. My boy never took interest untill he saw. Others using detectors at the last outing.

Biggest problem with prospectors tends to be prospectors. Weird is normal. Unfortunately, surly is also normal.

• Like 2

I check the forum weekly. Just don't want to bore everyone with "skunked again" posts.

I will say my detector has never worked better, thanks to a good friends mods and custom coils. It's a matter of getting on top of a nugget big enough for my machine to see.

It's difficult to tame the wander lust. If I'm not ridge walking, i'm in the wash, half way up the next hill etc... I'm okay with that.

I always find a good time.

• Like 4

I don't get out like I would like to, health has a lot to o with that , but I check the forum several times a day to read what others say and are doing.

I have gotten much much info from this forum and would be LOST without it.

• Like 2

Hey Ron,

Sorry to hear about your rib and 14 months of pain ... YOUCH!  I hope you get healed and out again soon.  You and others have contributed so much to this forum, that even if no one ever posted anything again, the wealth of information here is astounding, and I'm constantly re-reading the old threads.

As much as I love to hear from Bill, he seems to be having fun with more than nuggets, so hats off to him, and I'm content to wait for him to chirp up again on the forum.

Okay, I posted.

Jean

• Like 1

I think there are a lot of reasons why forums fade or grow, it’s a variety of factors. Forums are a medium (genre) of social media and FaceBook is in use by almost everyone, by sheer count of users FaceBook is king. All of us dirt diggers have friends and interest other than prospecting (a sin to say that I know) but we connect a lot with these other aspects of our lives through other mediums, like FaceBook. And FaceBook has so many of the same features as a forum, plus many more (it’s free). It seems like the battle between other mediums and forums is telling us the answer to one simple question. What is a viable social model? Time will tell.

I can only speak for myself but over the years all the gold forums have experienced times of heavy participation and times of abandonment. And someone inevitably will be the participation king at times. Right now it seems Steve Herschach’s forum holds that title. I’m not saying Bill, Rob, Chris, Steve and whoever else are in an intentional competition, but it’s the nature of things. Fresh approaches and participation by the forum’s owner all play a role. While I don’t know Steve it’s not hard for me to see that he took a fresh approach to his site, it’s structure and features and design. However, AZO, NuggetShooter and NuggetHuting are all very similar in nature, almost too cookie cutter, stagnant in some areas. And everyone whines about change. And what does that really mean, where am I going with this? It means all these sites, Bill, Chris, Rob and Steve are in competition. Wait, what? You just said they were not in competition! I said intentional competition. But being on the internet - like it or not - the way the search engines see websites it is very much a competition. A competition behind the scenes mind you, but search engines drive traffic, traffic means participation, participation means growth...well you get the idea. 

And what has kept, Bill, Chris and Rob’s forums alive is just a small handful of faithful participants. Bill, Chris and Rob are business owners and it’s part of the business, plus they like to help people and share, that’s cool. Rob and Bill I know personally, both good guys. I’ve purchased equipment from them for well over a decade here and there and keep up with them on what? Drum roll...FaceBook. 

Personally, I get bored with all the forum postings just because it's only a few main themes - people post about getting skunked or show off their finds or are talking about settings and equipment. That’s good and dandy...Facebook has a variety of groups and interests you (I) can follow in a singular stream. Elk hunting, deer hunting, politics, gold, guitars, guns, relics...anything. All from one main screen. This is what sets them apart and I see far more posts about detecting, dredging, gold, etc. on Facebook than anywhere. 

Since becoming semi-retired I would much rather be out hunting gold or pursuing another passion than posting or even reading the forums but I do from time to time. We all go thru cycles with this stuff. And I will tell you there are far more prospectors out there who do not post finds than do. It just does not seem the reverse at times. Believe me, silence is golden. And BTW, I'm no FaceBook fan really, my comments are purely observational opinions on the current state of the medium. 

Sincerely, I hope this forum keeps growing and that Bill keeps it running, same for Chris, Rob and Steve. NuggetShooter has been a staple for the community of online prospectors for years and let's hope it stays that way. Anyway, just my 2 cents for what it’s worth. 

Edited by Rod
  • Like 5

Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth. 

That was like two dollars :)
Got to agree with everything you said though.

Tom H.

• Like 2