Nugget Shooter Forums

Why do you sell your gold ? Why don't you sell your gold?

I find this question intriguing..........it seems like there are two types those that sell everything they find, and those that hoard their precious gold nuggets for their very own reasons. I m sure many including myself...become collectors and find it difficult to " Let Go " of their gold , nuggets and finds.I was wondering how many of us keep em and how many sell em and why. Personally, I am learning to let go when the need comes.I do keep my most prized very safe and secure , but have over the years realized as i let go of some, more are found so it's nice to be rewarded for the hard work. Looking at the current domestic/global politics and the potential of  flare ups in many regions,and analysts predicting gold to rise in the next 3-5 years to the all time highs of 2,000 if not higher. Our economic debt, unpredictable economic stability and leadership that is looking like a circus more so than a stable country built on sound economics and security makes for an interesting future. 

I have never sold only of my gold, most all of it but a few grams was gotten back when spot gold prices were under  $500 to $600 or less, I haven't been able to get away much in the last 6 to 7 years other than for a day here and there to find any new gold.

I don't have any plans on selling any gold any time soon, I like to add to my collection as much i can when it's possible, I keep my gold because I just like to look at the gold and remember when it was found, and I also keep it because it's money for the future if ever I or my kids need it bad enough, sorta a nest egg if you will.

I also have a little collection of silver for the same reason, a nest egg, or if or when the SHTF

Only being a prospector for less than a year and a half, I hold on to my pieces like they were the last on earth.  I keep this little red pillow between my wife and I, and that is where my gold stays.  Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating (I keep it under my pillow) :nutty: but each piece being a little different, they are hard to part with.  I figure to someday give them to my daughter or in the very least sell them for her college or save them for her inheritance.  That would be a cool thing to pass on.

That's the beauty of searching and finding gold. You can keep t, sell it, trade it, hand it down,collect it and muse over them once a while. Even if you don't find it often,and get skunked out you get to see some nice outdoor scenery and get some exercise. If your Boulder Dash and eat 5 meals a day ...well you better sell it all to feed that appetite. Hey Terry, you may not know it....but some of those nuggets you bought were mine.. :). One thing for sure is, there is no shelf life to it and it will always be worth something and one day it may save your B-tt ! I always find it funny when I meet someone that says ..gold is not worth much...tell that to the Vietnam family I met . They lost it all in the war...the only thing they were able to escape with was a chest belt with small hidden pockets that they were able to stash flat rectangular gold bars in. Came to America, sold the gold and opened a business...all their kids went to university and are now hard working professionals and citizens!!! GOLD gave them a start....the rest was up to them. Keep on Diggin. :) 

Just thank God you can still own gold.  When I was growing up you couldn't own gold and if you had some you had to make it into a piece of jewelry in order to keep it.  Yes gold is a hedge on things sometimes but one has to be careful and watch the times.  Love the story about the Vietnamese family that immigrated here.   

Old Tom   

I only sell tiny small gold not big enough for inlays and just scrap micron gold. I still have gold found at Bagby from the 50s as I DO covet any of any size. Gold is my hedge from the dollar falling and world economy as even real estate burned me but good in our depression these past years. Don't even want to talk stocks as a monopoly game for the rich with no basis in fact anymore. Scrap gold paid for my kids education and raising them but sure like that stash of real goodies as instant transport to a past day when dredging was LEGAL and I wasn't a criminal for working like a dog-John

On 4/17/2016 at 9:43 PM, Relichunter2016 said:

... Hey Terry, you may not know it....but some of those nuggets you bought were mine.. :). .... Keep on Diggin. :) 

Those are some beautiful nuggets! It is always nice to get a great deal from a fellow prospector. At some point I am going to ask Steve Wandt to make me a nugget ring, and some of that gold just might be in it!

I still have my first nuggets I dredged and I still have my first detector Nugget. The 2 I dredged are a perfect match so I have been waiting to make them into earrings for my 12 year old daughter. Have had them 2 for about 20 years. My detector Nugget I still have because it took me just over 2 frigging years to find it. The rest of the stuff I hang on to unless I want something. I have friends that i trade back and forth with. They will get something I want like a gun or more prospecting equipment and I'll trade gold for it. I have also sold it. If I find something monsterous I'm sure it will head straight to an auction haha. Just depends on the times I guess.

I like to stack the nuggets and make little towers out of them :) Or just look at them and remember the day....
Dont know why we dont sell them? Guess its a good back up if the paper money fails.

Tom H.

I try to keep what I call "providence" gold. First found at a spot or first placer / specimen. I've sold some for purchasing equipment etc and have melted some to make the wife something pretty to wear. My avatar is my first gold ever found with a detector. Still have it and always will.

I have been running my detector (GB2) since about 2006.  I went through all of the learning curves it takes to learn how to Listen. I was nearly to the point of giving up in the gold fields and turning to the parks and school yards to find something to get a return on my investment in this hobby when I found this very nice specimen. To me it is like a 10 # Bass only you don't have to mount it or throw it back.

I took it to the Gem Show this year and showed it to a couple of the dealers just to get an idea of what it was worth. One of the dealers said he would crush it up for the gold weight and that there was probably a lot of Pyrite in it. The other guy looked at it for a few, took a loop out and said "what do you want to do with it"  I told him I was keeping it but just wanted to see what it was worth. He said he would give me $1200 for it. He wanted to use acid to remove the host rock.

I'm content with knowing that I'll just keep it. I have a bunch of small gold, Native Silver, Meteorites but you know.

20150201_171158.jpg

That's an awesome first detector Nugget. I would definitely keep that one for sure. Be curious to see how much yeller stuff is in it. Have you done a specific gravity test on it just to see? 

I love this thread! It's interesting to read all the different points of view and come to understand how past history comes into play as far as what some chose to do with the gold they find. I'm still looking and learning for the elusive stuff, but I plan on investing in equipment upgrades with some of it and putting some away for my retirement.

Fishing, that's a real beauty for a first nugget find! I recently came across a large area with tons of rough quartz chunks that looked just like the one in your photo - right down to the pitting and colors. My first thought (instinct, mostly) was that perhaps gold and other material had already eroded from the pitted areas. I brought a few home with me and cleaned them up a bit... Thanks for posting such a clear picture!

22 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

I have been running my detector (GB2) since about 2006.  I went through all of the learning curves it takes to learn how to Listen. I was nearly to the point of giving up in the gold fields and turning to the parks and school yards to find something to get a return on my investment in this hobby when I found this very nice specimen. To me it is like a 10 # Bass only you don't have to mount it or throw it back.

I took it to the Gem Show this year and showed it to a couple of the dealers just to get an idea of what it was worth. One of the dealers said he would crush it up for the gold weight and that there was probably a lot of Pyrite in it. The other guy looked at it for a few, took a loop out and said "what do you want to do with it"  I told him I was keeping it but just wanted to see what it was worth. He said he would give me $1200 for it. He wanted to use acid to remove the host rock.

I'm content with knowing that I'll just keep it. I have a bunch of small gold, Native Silver, Meteorites but you know.

20150201_171158.jpg

Use a continutity tester to see the the visable gold is connected. If not it will fall apart in acid. If so, do a specific gravity test to see it you can determine the gold content. I sold one of my biggest finds to purchase another detector.

586.0 sm.jpg

Geo Jack

Great suggestion I will try the continutity tester and see if the gold is connected. I have not done a specific gravity test only because I don't own a scale that will measure it.

I may try it a some point but I'm content with finding little gold like this :

and putting it in a vial after that who knows. It is not the love of gold for me the gold is just a bonus

Thanks 

20160216_174212-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I sold some and I kept some, but the ones I kept were the ones that taught me something. after I found them I looked around and studied the possibilities, looked at the geology and realized why they were there.
I just keep them as a reminder. AzNuggetBob

• 1 month later...

At this date,  I think the  spot price is backfilling  the chart's old jumps in price.  It was at this level ($1290) around the third week of SEpt 2010.

One year later it was around $1860. :4chsmu1: Is 44% return in one year good?

http://www.apmex.com/spotprices/gold-price

I would be a holder (and buyer if I had some extra duckets layin around).

Edited by weaver hillbille

ANd   further monetization of debt continues following the BRexit vote .
 BOE pledges to prop up markets, if needed, with 250 B pounds... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e0c_1466762797

Precious metals are poppin'

I'm watchin the price too weaver hillbille.

If it jumps a little more Im going to sell some.

AzNuggetBob