Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munroney

Meteorite with shock veins?

Pretty sure I found some meteorites in the desert. most of them look to have "shock veins". Does this make them more valuable? They are highly attracted to a magnet, some oxidizing, fusion crust, condrules, shock veins, thumbprints, nose cones..everything. Is it rare to find so many meteorites (15kg in total)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Munroney,

15kg is a lot of material to find, not to say that is isn't one. But the last two pics look good. Streak test, and some other tests for sure. Any kind of stratification in any of them and it's not one.  I'd like to see the inside of one cut to get a better feel for it. If you are referring to the one pics with the cracks on it, those are from the frost and thaw cycle, not shock veins. Shock veins would be inside the meteorite. Pictures are hard to tell sometimes. But cool finds if they turn out to be 'rites'. 

Jason

Jayray, the first pic is of a small shrapnel piece from the second pic...I cut it open and what you can see is some defined shock veins. Pretty much every "meteorite" we found contains these veins...some veins as thick as 1mm, but most others are small. Also on some more weathered specimens, the flow veins are visible on the outside as big black veins. I believe they are all from the same meteorite, with the exception from the last pic. The big one in the last pic looks to be weathered quite a bit more than the rest, and doesn't contain any veins from what I can see...but it does have flow LINES and fusion crust on the bottom side when I found it. This area used to be under the sea at one point, so I'm guessing it hit when there was water there. Could this be possible or would a chondrite weather away in the water? 

Those are some big hunks!  Really cool.  Did you find them with a metal detector?

41 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Those are some big hunks!  Really cool.  Did you find them with a metal detector?

Picked them off the ground ? some 1kg+ pieces yielded another 200-500g of shrapnel which I retrieved with a strainer and magnets

Some of them for sure look like meteorites.  What country are you in?

16 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Some of them for sure look like meteorites.  What country are you in?

I'm not sure about disclosing the country just yet, but if you have a passport and are up for an adventure, let's talk! ? I'm no meteorite expert, but I think I've been at this hobby long enough to recognize a meteorite when I see one, and I'm 99% all 15kg are meteorites. Like I said, no meteorite expert, but I'm pretty sure 15kilos is awesome for even the most advanced meteorite hunters. So far we have searched 6km by 1km and retrieved dozens of specimens ranging from 50 grams to 5 kilos. There's a bigger one out there, and I could maybe use and expert to help track it down ?

It's a big planet, you can say the country without giving anything away.  My guess is Saharan Africa somewhere...

4 hours ago, Mikestang said:

It's a big planet, you can say the country without giving anything away.  My guess is Saharan Africa somewhere...

You're right, but in terms of good meteorite hunting grounds, it's a small world ?

:inocent::excl:

Swamp

Jeeze, I thought posting some pictures of meteorites in a METEORITE FORUM would excite people, and not put them to sleep ? does anyone know any other meteorite forums where more than 4 people post and comment ?

Sorreee. Mom's more important, yesterday.

sometimes you get some and sometimes you don't...

very impressive, have you had them classified?  

i think if you give a better account you will get more interest and a few kudos...

fred

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

sometimes you get some and sometimes you don't...

very impressive, have you had them classified?  

i think if you give a better account you will get more interest and a few kudos...

fred

Haven't had the chance to classify them yet. My original question if you could possibly answer it is, do shock veins increase the value? To my understanding, it is not very common to have veins in meteorites..and also, many pieces are "puzzles" that involve 2 or more pieces. Does this increase value as well? 

A bunch of weathered ordinary chondrites probably from the Sahara, not all that exciting I'm afraid.  Nice finds, though, congrats.

Those weathered veins are very common.  Puzzles are fairly common, too.

Probably looking at like resale $150-$300/kilo if you're lucky.

6 hours ago, Mikestang said:

A bunch of weathered ordinary chondrites probably from the Sahara, not all that exciting I'm afraid.  Nice finds, though, congrats.

Those weathered veins are very common.  Puzzles are fairly common, too.

Probably looking at like resale $150-$300/kilo if you're lucky.

If this world is so big, why do you keep assuming they're from Africa, and the Sahara to be specific? ?

20 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Probably looking at like resale $150-$300/kilo if you're lucky...

Mike -- does this mean for a slice?, or X/gm piece?, or each for the smaller ones etc..?

Not asking you to write a book chapter, but if you could touch on valuation practices a bit for those of us who are clueless in the pricing of meteorites it would be appreciated.. Thanks..

Swamp

I think Mike has what it takes to make an educated guess. He gave you his opinion based only on the pics because you won't give better information.

Do you want info or an argument? 

However, you could just say which continent and end the mystery!

fred

9 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Mike -- does this mean for a slice?, or X/gm piece?, or each for the smaller ones etc..?

Not asking you to write a book chapter, but if you could touch on valuation practices a bit for those of us who are clueless in the pricing of meteorites it would be appreciated.. Thanks..

That's about the going market rate for weathered ordinary chondrites from NWA, be they slices or whole stones or whatever.  Nicer ones with fresh fusion crust and stuff fetch a little more.

23 hours ago, munroney said:

If this world is so big, why do you keep assuming they're from Africa, and the Sahara to be specific? ?

Because they look like chondrites that come from NWA.  The world is so big and you won't say even what continent you are on (and I don't care), so I am making a guess.  Every meteorite I've found is from California, Arizona, or Nevada.  See, it isn't that hard.

21 hours ago, Mikestang said:

That's about the going market rate for weathered ordinary chondrites from NWA, be they slices or whole stones or whatever.  Nicer ones with fresh fusion crust and stuff fetch a little more.

Because they look like chondrites that come from NWA.  The world is so big and you won't say even what continent you are on (and I don't care), so I am making a guess.  Every meteorite I've found is from California, Arizona, or Nevada.  See, it isn't that hard.

You know that little country in the Middle East called Oman, where it was once perfectly legal to meteorite hunt, but now the rules have changed because they realized how many meteorites were escaping the border....well, I strongly believe that I just found the next Oman..and I don't want anyone steppin on my toes and ruining that for me. All it takes is for a little piece of paper to be signed and voila- it's illegal to export meteorites. My concern is not finding the strewn field, it's the laws within the country. Oman turns me off for legal reasons...that's why I don't want to go tell the world where I work ?

Well you can't get anything classified without revealing the location. If the meteorites don't get classified then that is kind of a waste, and you can't be sure they are meteorites without a classification.  Good luck.

8 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Well you can't get anything classified without revealing the location. If the meteorites don't get classified then that is kind of a waste, and you can't be sure they are meteorites without a classification.  Good luck.

I know they are meteorites, that's not my concern. I know you have to give a location to classify them, but maybe my plan is to make a few trips and stock up before I take that next step. The reason why I found so many is because I am not in California, Arizona, or Nevada. This world is my oyster when it comes to meteorites, and I will go to great depths to get off the beaten track. It's the new discoveries that arise attention, and that's why I can assure it they are not from the Sahara ?

2 hours ago, munroney said:

You know that little country in the Middle East etc. etc two posts...

Can't say as I blame you, man.. Garimpo's stories tell a similar tale re Au with that same sad ending..
I'd pull as many as I could out of there first too.. These days all it takes is one location mention on something as inoculous as a knitting circle forum and it's still worldwide viral forty-five minutes later.. Best of luck to ya..

Swamp