Nugget Shooter Forums

Ok everyone..What in the world is this rock??

Hi everyone..any help would be appreciated..

I bought this at an estate sale for $2 because it was so weird and awesome..The reason Im posting on here is this seems one of the best places to ask..

It "feels" like a typical rock,it weighs 1lb 5oz..its about the size/shape of a large potato..

The odd thing is,all of the holes point in different directions..as in if this were a crime scene and you stuck sticks in it to see the path of the "bullet" they ALL seem to come from a different direction..?? Any thoughts? Thank you!!Jeff/ bikesnbuses@yahoo.com

rock3.jpg

rock5.jpg

rock6.jpg

rock7.jpg

rock8.jpg

rock9.jpg

Rocks with holes in them can be from humans, water action or from sea critters such as a Piddock, which is a bi-valve, i.e. clams, mussels, etc., I think in this case it's from the latter, a bi-valve.

https://the-hazel-tree.com/2013/08/21/piddocks-anything-but-boring/

https://natureinfocus.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/pebbles-with-holes-made-by-sea-creatures/

Looks like agatized, fossil coral to me.  No volcano was harmed in the making of this sample.  :4chsmu1:

Edited by 4meter

I agree with 4meter, but if you look for photos of agatized fossilized coral online you most likely not find a specimen that looks just like yours, very rarely will you find two specimens of agatized fossilized coral that look just alike or even the same color patterns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=agatized+fossilized+coral&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6gbbUqorMAhXBcD4KHTAKCFEQsAQILQ&biw=1366&bih=643

The "bubbly" look of your piece is called Botryoidal, which is one of the way minerals can form,  

bot·ry·oi·dal
ˌbätrēˈoidl/
adjective
adjective: botryoidal
  1. (chiefly of minerals) having a shape reminiscent of a cluster of grapes.

Im not so sure on that second picture guys.....I would quickly discard it as looking like mine slag waste rock...There are a couple intrusions that even look like man made material or melted something.....I dunno :idunno:

On 4/16/2016 at 11:13 PM, cf23 said:

Thats interesting , it looks like a agatized geode type thing , cool pattern black with white polkadots! is there any cave systems in the area it was found?

It was found in someones house...:) Sorry..I didnt ask..I just bought it for $1 because it was cool!