Nugget Shooter Forums

A few more Franconia finds

I was not sure they were meteorites until I got them home and tried to make a window. They are both solid iron. 7.9 grams and 8.1 grams. Had to dig one up and the other was on the surface. I also found a few bullets, a sardine can key and about a million hot rocks. The GB2 really zips when you hit something metal! Will a chondrite zip the same on a GB2?

IMG_20160401_123617233.jpg

IMG_20160401_201427732.jpg

Yes Fred... Pretty far up on the North side where BLM road 7700 forks to the east and heads up to the old mine. Found the two about 500 yards apart from each other. I was told they are most likely H5 chondrites. I am going to try and make one more trip prior to the crazy heat setting in...thoughts on Franconia vs. Gold Basin?

Eric

Edited by Strapped

Franconia vs Gold Basin

I still find meteorites in both locations.  I think it is a bit easier and more reliable for Franconia right now.

Small irons are relatively easy but a nice chondrite is your prize winner.

Mitchel

Eric,

Both places are still producing, just got to put some time on the ground to find them these days.  Personally, I think Franconia is easier to find since they sound louder that GB.  But that's just an opinion.

Jason

• 1 month later...